Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Champions League 17/18

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 79>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I wouldn't write Chelsea entirely off with that Barca defence tbh. 

With Sergio Roberto, Pique, Umtiti and Jordi Alba at the back? That's a very strong defence and they also have one of the best goalkeepers about in Ter Stegen and also probably the worlds best defensive midfielder in Busquets.

If they play like did against Alavez, Chelsea certainly can cause them problems. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 4:52pm

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

I wouldn't write Chelsea entirely off with that Barca defence tbh. 

With Sergio Roberto, Pique, Umtiti and Jordi Alba at the back? That's a very strong defence and they also have one of the best goalkeepers about in Ter Stegen and also probably the worlds best defensive midfielder in Busquets.

If they play like did against Alavez, Chelsea certainly can cause them problems. 

Alaves.

Jaysis Muff! 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 2:32pm
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 10:17am
I think Man City will beat Basel by 2/3 goals tonight. Probably the weakest team left in the competition.

In the big game I think Spurs will lose by a single goal. Hopefully they score an away goal.

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

I think Man City will beat Basel by 2/3 goals tonight. Probably the weakest team left in the competition.

In the big game I think Spurs will lose by a single goal. Hopefully they score an away goal.

City in a superb position for the rest of the CL. Sane, Sliva, Jesus will all be back and having game time under their belts by the time the QF comes around. All going well in the next month or so, Mendy looks to be the only first team player who will be out when those QF games roll around. Added to the fact that they could actually have the PL title mathematically won by then, which gives them huge scope to keep loads of players fresh for the big CL games by resting players in between those QF games and onwards if they progress.

It's a wide open CL imo, with a good few possible winners. City are right up there in terms of favourites and I think the above situation around keeping players fresh could be an absolutely massive advantage for them at that stage of the season.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 10:46am
Mendy could be back training for the start of March
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Mendy could be back training for the start of March

I've heard that alright. Match sharpness, especially when you're talking about the massive CL knockout games would be a massive ask for him though even if he does get back onto the pitch playing minutes in other games in April. Those dead league games, if they have it wrapped up with 5/6 games to go, will be perfect to see where Mendy is at if he can manage that. I would love to see him back playing in the big games. I think this lad is a really special player.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 11:45am

If City hit form, they could beat them by more than that. 

Otoh, Basel have a very respectable record against English teams:

"City will be overwhelming favourites to progress against Basel - indeed Pep Guardiola's runaway Premier League leaders are regarded by many as favourites to win the Champions League.

This meeting with Basel, however, comes with large warning signs attached.

Basel have proved a bogey side to English clubs in the past, winning four and losing one of their past five home games against them in the Champions League.

They beat Manchester United in the group stage, wrecked Liverpool's hopes with a win at home and draw away, and have also seen off Chelsea in recent years. They also got the better of Tottenham in a two-legged Europa League tie.

If City take Basel lightly amid the compact and steepling stands of the atmospheric St Jakob Park, they will do so at their peril."

Genuinely impossible to call (imo).

Edited by Territorial - 13 Feb 2018 at 11:46am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 11:45am
Did Basel sell a couple of their better players in January?

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Did Basel sell a couple of their better players in January?
Sold two to Germany, one for big money:

Also signed a couple, though for a good bit less.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 11:56am
In second place in the Swiss league I believe. They don't seem to be as good as they were 3 or 4 years ago. 

Juventus 5/4 & City -1.5 Asian Handicap evens in my bet for tonight.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 8:30am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

If City hit form, they could beat them by more than that. 

Good call Territorial.

They are the weakest team left in the competition.
City can now relax in the return leg.

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 11:57am
A rampant City beating a far weaker team, what a shock the result was last night LOL LOL

I know Basel have a good record against other English teams, but I'd say them -2 goals was fairly low odds 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 11:58am
Only saw the end of the Juventus game last night sounds like Dembele was excellent again
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 8:20pm
Just what the game needed, PSG 1 up.

Ronnie missed a good chance a few minutes ago. Blasted it straight at the keeper, actually think his shot was going over the bar.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 8:39pm
I take it the English teams can be drawn together if they get through to the next round? 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 8:54pm

I take it the English teams can be drawn together if they get through to the next round? 

To be sure to be sure.

Liverpool v Man U....

bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 9:04pm

To be sure to be sure.

Liverpool v Man U....

That's a big assumption that United get past Seville 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 79>
  Share Topic