Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia v Ireland - 2 September

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 47>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 8:31pm
Serbia (a) Shte
Georgia (h) Shte
Wales (h) Shte
Austria (h) Shte
Georgia (a) Shte

I expected this game to be what it was. I also expected us to nick it late on as we usually do, and everyone would hail him as a tactical genius, as they have.

It will be the same on Tuesday. Either we get taken apart, in which case it will be shte; or we nick something off a long 40 yard punt/set piece and then we park the bus, in which case it will be shte.

We've been getting away with these performances for ages, this time we didn't. So we can't argue much if it means it's only him going to Russia next summer and not the rest of us.
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
Sponsored Links

Irish2011 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by Irish2011 Irish2011 wrote:

I'm not saying Mick but I'd definitely have him over O'Neill.  He always encouraged the lads to play good football, most games were entertaining to watch and even when we lost we went down fighting. Switzerland home 2002. 1-0 down and then 1-1 and tried to win the game but got caught on the break late on.  At least we had the balls to go for the jugular. Now we try to hang on for draws to minnows.  O'Neill in 2014 set out for a draw in Tbilisi. TOD today said to him after the game ''You would have taken a draw in this fixture before the start'' and he nodded along. 

did we though? I don't remember the football been that good under Mick. Holland should have battered us.

Yes they should have. We were poxed that day but in general we played nice stuff.  Obviously not every single performance was good.

would weiss be a shout? Lots of experience, has georgia playing lovely football.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 8:34pm

I'm not saying Mick but I'd definitely have him over O'Neill.  He always encouraged the lads to play good football, most games were entertaining to watch and even when we lost we went down fighting. Switzerland home 2002. 1-0 down and then 1-1 and tried to win the game but got caught on the break late on.  At least we had the balls to go for the jugular. Now we try to hang on for draws to minnows.  O'Neill in 2014 set out for a draw in Tbilisi. TOD today said to him after the game ''You would have taken a draw in this fixture before the start'' and he nodded along. 

So bringing Aido and the Murph on is hanging on for a draw?
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 8:35pm
All you have to do is look at the possession and passing stats for that game to see how embarrassing a perform2 it was, Georgia quite literally completed 100's more passes than us. We are no team of Messi's and Ronaldo's, but we aren't that bad either. Georgia are ranked outside the top 100 in the world for a reason (hint, they're crap), yet we let them look like a good side, even without a few of their big players.... The attitude of negativity and fear is pervasive in this Irish team, and it's poisonous to our creativity.
We're decent enough..
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

What time did he bring on Murphy??  If he wanted to win the game properly he wouldnt have waited to the last 10 mins. Hoolahan should have been given at least 45 mins.  sh*te tactics.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 8:38pm
Worst Ireland performance I've ever seen. I couldn't even be arsed going into why etc, they're not worth my time after that
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 8:39pm
Wales drew at home with Georgia so they are not no hopers by any stretch. However it was the manner of that performance that was the problem and its been happening way to often. Woeful against Wales, Poor against Austria and almost shameful against Georgia. Big big improvement needed. However a win on tuesday night and we are top of the group. Then home to Moldova things look a hell of a lot different.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

All you have to do is look at the possession and passing stats for that game to see how embarrassing a perform2 it was, Georgia quite literally completed 100's more passes than us. We are no team of Messi's and Ronaldo's, but we aren't that bad either. Georgia are ranked outside the top 100 in the world for a reason (hint, they're crap), yet we let them look like a good side, even without a few of their big players.... The attitude of negativity and fear is pervasive in this Irish team, and it's poisonous to our creativity.

According to Uefa:

Georgia     Ireland
passing accuracy       93%             79%
Passes attempted      608               192
Passes completed       568               152

What a joke
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Irish2011 Irish2011 wrote:

did we though? I don't remember the football been that good under Mick. Holland should have battered us.

They should have. We also conceded late goals away at times under Mick which cost us. (Croatia and Macedonia)
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Wales drew at home with Georgia so they are not no hopers by any stretch. However it was the manner of that performance that was the problem and its been happening way to often. Woeful against Wales, Poor against Austria and almost shameful against Georgia. Big big improvement needed. However a win on tuesday night and we are top of the group. Then home to Moldova things look a hell of a lot different.

If they aren't no hopers, why are they 5th seeds and ranked 112 in the world?
We're decent enough..
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 8:46pm

Naive way of looking at it.

They battered Serbia in Tbilisi too worse than they battered us today. Serbia cheated a penalty out of them and literally robbed 3 points.
I said it on page 1 of this thread before it got merged with another thread, they are a rapidly improving side and it showed when they were full of confidence.

However, our best is far better than their best so it's no excuse for a result like this.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 8:48pm
Beat the Scots there in the last campaign. Can see them taking something off the Welsh next month.
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Cathalthesmart View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

They battered Serbia in Tbilisi too worse than they battered us today. Serbia cheated a penalty out of them and literally robbed 3 points.
I said it on page 1 of this thread before it got merged with another thread, they are a rapidly improving side and it showed when they were full of confidence.

However, our best is far better than their best so it's no excuse for a result like this.

It was very similar to the Georgia Serbia, the only difference is those chances near the end that didn't go in for us did go in for Serbia, tight margins at this level.
Hi Lads
Allnighters11 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allnighters11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 9:05pm
I remember Mick playing away games with Cascarino (about 37 at the time) playing up front on his own away from home. We always say Ireland should be playing better football but the reality is that any manager who we have has felt that keeping it tight and hoping to get something from a set piece/on the break is the best way forward. Tonight was very disappointing but the tactics are similar to they've always been. Take it for what it is, the football is never pretty but it is what it is. I for one can't wait for a tense /stressful but hopefully positive result on Tuesday. We're never going to play like Spain, you may as well get over it and enjoy the fact that we still seem to be able to put it up to teams that are technically much superior than us in the big games
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 9:09pm

Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

What time did he bring on Murphy??  If he wanted to win the game properly he wouldnt have waited to the last 10 mins. Hoolahan should have been given at least 45 mins.  sh*te tactics.
Is that the same Wes that Trap ignored?
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 9:12pm

spot on
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 9:12pm

Naive? That's the reality of the situation. If you win or draw matches you climb the rankings, yet Georgia don't climb the rankings.... They struggle to score and cannot defend (ie. the two most important facets of the game) and are therefore a very poor football team.
We're decent enough..
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 9:23pm

Naive? That's the reality of the situation. If you win or draw matches you climb the rankings, yet Georgia don't climb the rankings.... They struggle to score and cannot defend (ie. the two most important facets of the game) and are therefore a very poor football team.

It's not reality is it, it's a summary.

The actual reality is they've been playing well in games against Serbia and in Cardiff but they badly let themselves down against Moldova in both games and after 10 minutes today they looked like they were embracing themselves for another hammering today until we bent over for them and looked like the Georgia against Serbia and Wales.

Unfortunately for us they've played all their Home games except 1 now because I'd expect even Austria to struggle against these on an all-time high.
I can't see them picking up points in Vienna or Belgrade but if it were in Tbilisi I'd be optimistic 

Edited by coyne - 02 Sep 2017 at 9:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 47>
  Share Topic