You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWorld Cup Qatar 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 6:31pm
Praising the work ethic of the slave drivers, in the first paragraph. Gotcha.
Sponsored Links

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 6:36pm
Jesus Christ 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 6:38pm
Safe to say this isn't the reaction he expected LOL
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Safe to say this isn't the reaction he expected LOL
There is no way he didn't expect some baclash. Not even Jacob Rees-Mogg is that out of touch!
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 7:00pm
Anyone found any good routes?
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 7:09pm
To quote a controversial figure of our own: you can stick your World Cup up your bollocks. 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
PJIRELAND View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 11:36pm
Ah lads he had to write that. It was the only way to get his passport back. 😂. Incredible 
YBIG Fantasy Football Champion 2013/2014.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 12:16am
Originally posted by bannerboy95 bannerboy95 wrote:

Hi lads, recently returned back from a week long visit to Qatar. Visited some of the World Cup stadia, facilities along with the Aspire Academy and meeting with the commercial director of PSG amongst other things. Prior to visiting I was very apprehensive obviously because of what had been purported in the media. Having returned however I can only say I have been blown away from the experience as a whole. Naturally not everything is running smoothly behind the scenes but it is nowhere near as what we are led to believe.

I have written a blog post on the week's events. Attached below is part one. Please feel free to offer feedback I hope it's a good insight as to the country itself and what they have planned in accordance with 2022. Any questions you have please ask, I am only excited to offer any useful insights I may have and elaborate on my experience. Thanks.

Are you Ian Paisley junior 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 12:19am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Hi lads, recently returned back from a week long visit to Qatar. Visited some of the World Cup stadia, facilities along with the Aspire Academy and meeting with the commercial director of PSG amongst other things. Prior to visiting I was very apprehensive obviously because of what had been purported in the media. Having returned however I can only say I have been blown away from the experience as a whole. Naturally not everything is running smoothly behind the scenes but it is nowhere near as what we are led to believe.

I have written a blog post on the week's events. Attached below is part one. Please feel free to offer feedback I hope it's a good insight as to the country itself and what they have planned in accordance with 2022. Any questions you have please ask, I am only excited to offer any useful insights I may have and elaborate on my experience. Thanks.

LOLLOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 8:26am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Comical Ali, more like.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 8:31am
"Fast forward one week and many including yours truly have had our questions answered emphatically. A week dedicated to visiting and inspecting World Cup stadia & facilities which shouted superfluous propaganda was anything but"

This is my favourite part, I'd imagine the Nazi's showed people around Auschtwitz and made it look like Club Tropicana
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 8:44am
Sweet jesus. 
Touts Out!
bannerboy95 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 9:30am
must say I'm only going off what I observed in the week I spent in Qatar. In hindsight I'm just a modern football fan and a student so yes I'm naive and on reflection the post was insensitive. I was writing a second blog detailing the rest of our trip including our visit to Al-Bayt stadium which is still heavily under construction. Upon arrival we were greeted by somewhat 30 workers buses. To say they weren't of high standard was putting it mildly. That aside there was nothing else un ordinary regarding the site. The most off putting thing we witnessed all week crossing the city where one apartment was being constructed on the second floor there was a lack of noticeable scaffolding with several workers on the second floor.

The workers deaths are inexcusable. There have been three on site fatalities so far since construction commenced a few years ago. This issue was raised with the supreme committee. Their response was that this was due to the negligence of contractors early on in the construction stages along with mega ambition to construct 7/8 state of the art stadiums in such a limited time frame. Still no excuse. The issue of recruitment fees was also raised . There have been numerous stories of how workers from India , Nepal , Sri Lanka have left home paying hundreds if not a thousand to work in preparation for 2022. The supreme committee have said this issue has been resolved and any contractor found to be continuing with this form of extortion will be reprimanded. We were told how one of the stadiums was temporarily shut down as a result .

Before our trip we were expected to visit two of the labour camps in question however on arrival this fell through. We did however pass by two , one in Lusail and one to the south of Doha. Driving around the perimeter they weren't exactly the ritz but were not lacking with amenities either. Two of the workers we'd spoken with had described the accommodation as "sufficient" and the other "good". There are plans to regenerate the new suburban areas around lusail and co with new apartment buildings which will be a significant improvement on their current accommodation. In The shopping mall we encountered many workers in their overalls grabbing lunch some with their families. This was very much in contradiction to what many other media outlets have been suggesting.

I was very interested in hearing what they have planned as regards csr as before I was apprehensive given many big European teams and federations see it as a token gesture. However having met several of the people impacted by the programs my mind was swayed . Several of the initiatives we saw such as the workers Cup and the generation amazing programme were impressive. Speaking to a few of the participants they all said they were happy with life in Qatar and  that there has been noticeable improvements since they've begun working. The few I met have families back in India and Pakistan and said the negatives was being so far away from home but the money they could repatriate home made it somewhat worth it. The Josoor Institute who head up the CSR operations contribute huge sums and resources to the development of third world countries in Africa and Asia along with giving many the chance to a first class education which they would not receive otherwise. In the local community they do extensive work with the disadvantaged and have made significant strides in the women's game.

Once again I'm only discussing what I observed . Apologies for the insensitivity, I'm just going by the access and insight which we received over there. Obviously there is a lot of non football related stuff happening at the moment contributing such as the blockade , the Qatari departure from OPEC and the recent news regarding their commitment to investing in the German economy. So it's obviously impossible to paint a true picture as to what is happening behind the scenes. Things are nowhere near perfect over in Qatar but they are far better than what I expected. My post meant to serve as just my own experience in Qatar, those with better access and knowledge would probably hold a different judgement to my own. There's a lot they have yet to do but having talked with several of the workers and people involved they are taking action and heading in the right direction. I think it has all the makings of being a great tournament with out of this world stadiums and facilities but yes this shouldn't be at the expense of the workers involved. I was very cynical of what was unfolding prior to our trip now just less so.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 9:35am
You're really not making things any better for yourself

DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 9:53am
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

They could organise the greatest World Cup ever seen and everyone visiting could have a brilliant time. It still doesn't take away from the fact that it is a theocratic, absolute monarchy where people can be flogged for having consensual sex with someone they are not married to, where you can be executed for engaging in homosexual activity or being an apostate from Islam, where if you are a woman who has been raped you can end up in prison for "fornication" and need to have 4 Muslim men to testify that they witnessed the rape to avoid jail, where you can be imprisoned for blasphemy. I'm sure there is plenty I've left out. 

That's before you get onto their use of actual slaves to build their stadiums. You don't address the conditions of the workers or the conditions they live and work in. You devoted one line about the reported death toll among the workers and that was just to state how your hosts told you that the number was grossly exaggerated. I'm sure a bunch of people who have no problem using slave labour wouldn't lie about something like that. 
So is that a yes that you’ll be going over LOL
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

Anyone found any good routes?
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 10:11am
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

They could organise the greatest World Cup ever seen and everyone visiting could have a brilliant time. It still doesn't take away from the fact that it is a theocratic, absolute monarchy where people can be flogged for having consensual sex with someone they are not married to, where you can be executed for engaging in homosexual activity or being an apostate from Islam, where if you are a woman who has been raped you can end up in prison for "fornication" and need to have 4 Muslim men to testify that they witnessed the rape to avoid jail, where you can be imprisoned for blasphemy. I'm sure there is plenty I've left out. 

That's before you get onto their use of actual slaves to build their stadiums. You don't address the conditions of the workers or the conditions they live and work in. You devoted one line about the reported death toll among the workers and that was just to state how your hosts told you that the number was grossly exaggerated. I'm sure a bunch of people who have no problem using slave labour wouldn't lie about something like that. 

what about attempting to finger the box off a fellow YBIG'er Mrs? Can you be flogged for that? 
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 10:57am
I never knew Eva Bartlett posted here.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic