You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coffee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

pray for Mojo!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Mojo Risin' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 5:18am
Always liked the smell of coffee but never drank it. Have always been a water man. No coffee or tea. Now (since about 2 months ago) I have at least two coffee's a day. I mainly started to help me get through the early mornings in a new job and also to see what the fuss was about. I use Nescafé Gold and drink it black or with a little drop of milk. Sometimes I buy a $3 latte in 7Eleven Cool  They're mad for their coffee in Melbourne.

At least I'll finally be able to be social in an Irish house that isn't offering me beer Smile
Ahh heya!
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 7:04am
Thumbs Up
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Never drink instant coffee.
There's no point.
Real stuff for me

Spot on.
All instant coffee no matter how much it costs and how fancy the tin is, is basically the same. 

The coffee in France last year was sublime Hug
Well said Gary and Muff
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 7:27am
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Coffee works just like hard drugs. At the start you like the buzz you get from it. Soon after that you Have to have it just to feel normal and on an even keel to get through the day.

Leave that stuff to the yanks lads and stick to the auld cuppa tae.

Heroin is too trendy
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 7:36am
Get a latte every morning from a mobile coffee van, ''tis cheap & very nice. Would get a Starbucks @ weekend if passing.
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 7:43am
Quit it for all of last year,improved my sleep considerably,will have one every now and then if i am away,heading to Italy next week,coffee there is delish!
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 8:02am
Bellarom Colombian coffee from Lidl is a taste sensation. Have minimum 2-3 cups a day.
Iced coffee lattes are Clap
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 8:43am
Covfefe ?
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 9:07am
Covfefe

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Covfefe ?

LOL
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

It's the people who walk around casually drinking from a Starbucks cup or whatever brand during the day at school drop offs or collections, these creatures are imbeciles.

Wtf is wrong with buying a takeway coffee and drinking it, that's the bloody point of it LOLLOLLOL.

Wud yah lak a dose coonts drinking pints in a pub
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

It's the people who walk around casually drinking from a Starbucks cup or whatever brand during the day at school drop offs or collections, these creatures are imbeciles.

Wtf is wrong with buying a takeway coffee and drinking it, that's the bloody point of it LOLLOLLOL.

Dont you know it should be drank out of a brown paper bag Bob. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Dont you know it should be drank out of a brown paper bag Bob. 
In theory you are both correct, there is absolutely no doubting that there are certain people who need a branded cup of coffee in their hand as a sign of status, Hugh certainly isn't the first person to make a correlation.
I see it as akin to sunglasses; many people need them but they don't need them on their heads all the time, other than to show they are 'cool'. You very rarely see the 'yummy mummy' brigade wandering around with a plastic cup from the local garage. There is certainly a status thing involved in it and comes from that idea that social class is achieved and not proscribed. It is also an effect of the Americanisation of western culture and how coffee reinvented itself in America. Between the '30s and the '80s, coffee was associated with the average working class American, everybody could afford a cup of joe. Before the depression nearly a 100% of US citizens drank caffeine, including children. Only infants were left free of it. 
Coffee sales plummeted between the late '50s and mid '80s, prices rose and the marketing men pushed now more affordable soft drinks, particularly with the rise of 'soda fountains' in the late '50s affecting how people wanted to be seen and where young people went on dates. A whole generation missed out on coffee. Marketing men, as is their wont, made coffee attractive to a new market by selling it as something that it wasn't. Previously bland and cheap coffee, the archetypal cup of joe, was now being sold at a higher price and given fancy names that either reeked of exotica or hinted at American heritage. You know the type of thing.
By the time the '80s came along coffee was the drink of the young professional, it was what go-getters drank and was sold as something that could boost productivity. It was marketed as something you had to have in the morning if you were to have a successful day. People who drank coffee were now young, urbane, well-dressed and successful. Coffee was no longer social, it was professional.
In our desperate bid to be as cool as what we saw on tv, we then bought into American coffee houses like the whores that we are. With the same vigour that the Russians queued for McDonalds, we queued for Starbucks. The introduction of the takeaway cup meant we could all look professional. 
Now people are defined by their coffee and they need to tell us about it. Drinking forma Spar cup may be fine if you just want a coffee, but that would look ridiculous in Shoreditch, or wherever the Dublin hipsters hang out. If you are in BT's with the girls you need to be seen with some monstrous frappuccino. Yummies give their little Poppy or Noah a 'babyccino', and make sure everybody knows they do.
I have gone off on a far bigger rant than intended, especially as I have no issue with anybody who wants to drink it, but please don't pretend people don't do it out of yet another opportunity to highlight their lifestyle.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 1:31pm
PM's mini dissertation has hit the nail on the head. You lads who drink coffee are dandy posers.

Accept it and move on.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 1:31pm
Hard to believe something as small and simple as a coffee cup could evoke so much feeling

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Hard to believe something as small and simple as a coffee cup could evoke so much feeling

Coffee itself is fine, drinking it crosses the line though it seems
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Despite how it appears it really doesn't. The sociological and cultural impact of things interests me. There is no doubting that certain people drink coffee to be seen to be drinking coffee, like many facets of modern life.
All these things are much more prevalent in Ireland where we have spent the last 15-20 years trying to create a class structure. 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 1:43pm
Ever go up to a Starbucks and give them a mad name just to see how they spell it?
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Ever go up to a Starbucks and give them a mad name just to see how they spell it?

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic