You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mexico v Ireland - 1st June - Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Cathalthesmart Cathalthesmart wrote:

Ahem we went into euro 2012 on theach back of a long unbeaten streek in friendlies/competitive games, help us a lot at euro 2012 didn't it? Argubly the worst tram ever at the euros. Euro 2016 we used the friendlies to experiment and we ended up in the last 16 and putting in a big shift against the French. As long as we beat Austria these friendlies mean Jack sh*t, we. Example, compare the way Germany played vs Slovakia at the euros in comparison to their friendly. I can't believe some people on the Internet, do people think we are seriously good enough to field a B side and be able to match a near full strength Mexico team? I'm happy we tried a new formation and tried new things even if the result was great and I applaud Martin, we actually learned things from this fixture which is what friendlies should be about.

It's not that simplistic though. Why bring six centre halves and only one full back? There are players such as Matt Doherty who would have jumped at the chance to travel and need blooding. Why only bring two strikers? Why play 3-5-2 but put two wingers in the central mid three instead of the likes of O'Kane who actually play that position? It left us horribly exposed.  Yes, it was a pointless trip but it could have been utilised better regardless of the result.  
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Sponsored Links

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

Saw a limited amount of the game and wasn't sober.
Horgan for me has been very very disappointing. Really needs to up his game, this bollox of he needs time or needs a full pre season doesn't float. The boy is 24! Give me mcgeady every day of the week.
That's a bit harsh. He's a winger but he was playing in central midfield.

Not just on last nights poor performance but in general. Hasn't shown much at his spell in Preston and can't imagine he'll be getting game time in the qualifying campaign which is a shame as he had a reputation built up and I was hoping he could come in and make a difference.

Not true, did very well when he first came in for Preston, number of assists and goals. Ran out of legs at the end of the season as he'd been playing a full season and a half by then. Needs a rest and a pre season, I expect him to shine next year.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Ahem we went into euro 2012 on theach back of a long unbeaten streek in friendlies/competitive games, help us a lot at euro 2012 didn't it? Argubly the worst tram ever at the euros. Euro 2016 we used the friendlies to experiment and we ended up in the last 16 and putting in a big shift against the French. As long as we beat Austria these friendlies mean Jack sh*t, we. Example, compare the way Germany played vs Slovakia at the euros in comparison to their friendly. I can't believe some people on the Internet, do people think we are seriously good enough to field a B side and be able to match a near full strength Mexico team? I'm happy we tried a new formation and tried new things even if the result was great and I applaud Martin, we actually learned things from this fixture which is what friendlies should be about.

I thought the trams were great in Poland. They were efficient, fast and had a super atmosphere on the way to matches. 

So were the tramps (female version)
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Cathalthesmart View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

I thought the trams were great in Poland. They were efficient, fast and had a super atmosphere on the way to matches. 

I know I loved the trams in Gdansk,thanks spell check!
Hi Lads
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 12:32pm
The only thing I can think of is that O'Neill was pissed off about having to travel over the the States for this game so he picked a crazy team with most of our players out of position to treat that match with the disdain it deserves. I think he was sending out a message to the FAI.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 12:33pm

The only thing I can think of is that O'Neill was pissed off about having to travel over the the States for this game so he picked a crazy team with most of our players out of position to treat that match with the disdain it deserves. I think he was sending out a message to the FAI.

Maybe, but money earners like this help fund his big salary.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 12:41pm

I actually agree with this. 

Martin could have easily deployed us in a 3-5-2 and played two sitting midfielders in O'Kane and Gleeson / Browne, don't think we'd have conceded the first goal, or the penalty if that was the case. 

Think it was a case of O'Neill literally saying 'feck this' and throwing in a few lads out of position just to see how it panned out, I'd imagine he knew that his starting eleven had no chance of getting anything out of that match. 

Pointless game, and now we're staring at another likely defeat against Uruguay on Sunday. I know these are only friendly games, but surely Austria will look at our recent form with confidence as they see a home loss against Iceland, a poor defeat against Mexico, and a likely loss against Uruguay. (Not forgetting a woeful performance against Wales). Not ideal preparation.
shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

It's not that simplistic though. Why bring six centre halves and only one full back? There are players such as Matt Doherty who would have jumped at the chance to travel and need blooding. Why only bring two strikers? Why play 3-5-2 but put two wingers in the central mid three instead of the likes of O'Kane who actually play that position? It left us horribly exposed.  Yes, it was a pointless trip but it could have been utilised better regardless of the result.  

Injured. 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Martin could have easily deployed us in a 3-5-2 and played two sitting midfielders in O'Kane and Gleeson / Browne, don't think we'd have conceded the first goal, or the penalty if that was the case. 

Think it was a case of O'Neill literally saying 'feck this' and throwing in a few lads out of position just to see how it panned out, I'd imagine he knew that his starting eleven had no chance of getting anything out of that match. 

Pointless game, and now we're staring at another likely defeat against Uruguay on Sunday. I know these are only friendly games, but surely Austria will look at our recent form with confidence as they see a home loss against Iceland, a poor defeat against Mexico, and a likely loss against Uruguay. (Not forgetting a woeful performance against Wales). Not ideal preparation.

Hopefully
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 1:30pm

Would you loom who it is Inpho

Edited by Charlton's Child - 02 Jun 2017 at 1:31pm
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

One of the back 3 should have taken responsibility early doors and decided should they defend deep or go with the high line, none of them has managed to take control. 
Only watched the first half before going to bed, but do you think that players out on the pitch make those sorts of decisions in a team managed by Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane?

Can't see it myself.
Lodger View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Charlton's Child Charlton's Child wrote:

Michael & Darragh!  They chose the least effective method of concealing their identities. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 1:56pm

If it is a case of 'feck this', and it might very well be, then it was awfully petty and won't have done the players any good. Unless this is some sort of extreme Roy Keane philosophy of they need the hunger that only comes from running after technically superior footballers.
I wouldn't be panicking anyway though, certainly not in relation to Austria. To put it in perspective, the Austrians own friendly record is nothing to get excited about! I think we are all getting excited to watch an Irish team get chased around the park and all of them playing abysmally in the circumstances, if you were to give player ratings there wouldn't be a single outfield player above a 4, but all of that comes from the manager. 
I have pointed out faults in Duffy's game before but I doubt he has played much in a back 3 before last night and was probably more confused then the two next him and as confused as the three in front of him. The only thing I found truly bizarre was him and Hourihane both running away from the man with the ball in the lead up to the third goal, but it was absolute chaos at that stage
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 2:22pm

Maybe Austria will look at the fact that we top the group on goal difference.

Maybe Austria will look at the fact that we have the best defence in the group.

Maybe Austria will look at the fact that September 2013 was the last time we lost a qualifier at home (Sweden). 

Maybe Austria will look at the fact that the pressure is all them to keep their qualification hopes alive, and doing all this without one of their best players (Arnautovic). 

Most importantly, maybe Austria will look at the fact that friendlies mean f*ck all.

And maybe one day the default negativity will be rid from the Irish psyche. But its transfer via osmosis will rule for generations to come its seems.  
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Most importantly, maybe Austria will look at the fact that friendlies mean f*ck all.

Absolutely. I'd hardly bat an eye-lid if I saw Austria lost 3-1 to Mexico in some random friendly in New Jersey.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 2:32pm
I like when we are playing sh*te in friendlies before a big game, it filters out the dillusional support who think we'll win handily.

This means nothing in the context of the game v Austria. 

Edited by Bob Hoskins - 02 Jun 2017 at 2:33pm
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Lodger Lodger wrote:

Originally posted by Charlton's Child Charlton's Child wrote:

Michael & Darragh!  They chose the least effective method of concealing their identities. 

LOLLOL
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Absolutely. I'd hardly bat an eye-lid if I saw Austria lost 3-1 to Mexico in some random friendly in New Jersey.

Not a great performance or result last night but I would read very little into a meaningless friendly in the US. These are always strange games when we go over there : let's say Mexico had put out a second string team last night against our second string side and we beat them.....it would tell us next to nothing about the Austria match.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627>
  Share Topic