You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mexico v Ireland - 1st June - Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 24252627>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by Cathalthesmart Cathalthesmart wrote:

Ahem we went into euro 2012 on theach back of a long unbeaten streek in friendlies/competitive games, help us a lot at euro 2012 didn't it? Argubly the worst tram ever at the euros. Euro 2016 we used the friendlies to experiment and we ended up in the last 16 and putting in a big shift against the French. As long as we beat Austria these friendlies mean Jack sh*t, we. Example, compare the way Germany played vs Slovakia at the euros in comparison to their friendly. I can't believe some people on the Internet, do people think we are seriously good enough to field a B side and be able to match a near full strength Mexico team? I'm happy we tried a new formation and tried new things even if the result was great and I applaud Martin, we actually learned things from this fixture which is what friendlies should be about.

I thought the trams were great in Poland. They were efficient, fast and had a super atmosphere on the way to matches. 

Yeah. The trams in Cologne were definitely worse. Bordeaux too left a bit to be desired.

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

This will be worse than the portugal game but sure fck it the fai made a few quid while a lot of our fringe players will be fckin destroyed from this

Off course they will.EmbarrassedLOL

Why, have they taken up golf?
Sponsored Links

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by shakeyshamrock shakeyshamrock wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

It's not that simplistic though. Why bring six centre halves and only one full back? There are players such as Matt Doherty who would have jumped at the chance to travel and need blooding. Why only bring two strikers? Why play 3-5-2 but put two wingers in the central mid three instead of the likes of O'Kane who actually play that position? It left us horribly exposed.  Yes, it was a pointless trip but it could have been utilised better regardless of the result.  

Injured. 

Is he? Knew Cunningham was but thought Doherty had been with the squad in Fota?
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

One of the back 3 should have taken responsibility early doors and decided should they defend deep or go with the high line, none of them has managed to take control. 
Only watched the first half before going to bed, but do you think that players out on the pitch make those sorts of decisions in a team managed by Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane?

Can't see it myself.

None of them took responsibility, there was no leader amongst them and they got pulled all over the place. If management fail to see or correct such issues of course you would expect players to make a call on the field for basic organisation.

Again this is just something I felt like the lack of someone taking responsibility in the holding role.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 4:43pm
Really can't understand all the negativity surrounding a friendly defeat for what was, in affect, a second string irish side.

MON will have learned loads fron the wee long camp. Lads who haven't payed in a month got minutes under their belt.

Austria on June 11 is what it's all about folks. Don't lose sight of that
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Really can't understand all the negativity surrounding a friendly defeat for what was, in affect, a second string irish side.

MON will have learned loads fron the wee long camp. Lads who haven't payed in a month got minutes under their belt.

Austria on June 11 is what it's all about folks. Don't lose sight of that

LOL  Hard not to read this without a Martin O'Neill voice in your head.

TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 5:23pm
As a manager MON is pretty much a one trick pony.It's a very good trick and he's one of the best at it.

Motivation.

In most other aspects of management, he's lacking.He's not especially good tactically. Set pieces? No. Almost nothing innovative or inventive from the training ground is seen in matches. He's not good at friendlies because motivation doesn't play a part in them. Does he make great changes during matches as he sees problems and solves them? No, he's just not that kind of manager. He almost always waits 70 mins to make a change no matter how bad we are. Like last night.

Ireland v Germany
Bosnia v Ireland
Ireland v Bosnia
Ireland v Sweden
Ireland v Italy 

In all those matches we saw an ordinary workmanlike Ireland team playing above itself and getting really good results. Competitive matches and especially the harder crunch ones are where he's at his best.It's better to just judge him on those. He's also a lucky manage.That and his great motivational skills can still get us to a world cup finals when more talented Irish sides failed in the past.
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 5:55pm
Just a thought not one Dublin born player started the game last night and only two came off the bench can never remember this happening surely a first? 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Just a thought not one Dublin born player started the game last night and only two came off the bench can never remember this happening surely a first? 

First time no Dublin player has started since 1997

https://twitter.com/noriordan/status/870444764814028800
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

As a manager MON is pretty much a one trick pony.It's a very good trick and he's one of the best at it.

Motivation.

In most other aspects of management, he's lacking.He's not especially good tactically. Set pieces? No. Almost nothing innovative or inventive from the training ground is seen in matches. He's not good at friendlies because motivation doesn't play a part in them. Does he make great changes during matches as he sees problems and solves them? No, he's just not that kind of manager. He almost always waits 70 mins to make a change no matter how bad we are. Like last night.

Ireland v Germany
Bosnia v Ireland
Ireland v Bosnia
Ireland v Sweden
Ireland v Italy 

In all those matches we saw an ordinary workmanlike Ireland team playing above itself and getting really good results. Competitive matches and especially the harder crunch ones are where he's at his best.It's better to just judge him on those. He's also a lucky manage.That and his great motivational skills can still get us to a world cup finals when more talented Irish sides failed in the past.

+1 been my opinion for years on O'Neill.

I see they trained at Abbotstown earlier today. Its mad when you think about it.  Finish a game in New York and 14 hrs later finish training in Abbotstown.ShockedLOL
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 7:35pm
This was far from the worst Irish performance I have ever seen. The only negatives I took from it was Duffy's performance, but as pointed out, he's been injured since March.

We were all over them until they scored the 1st on the counter. McClean gave away a stupid penalty, and we were just beaten by a technically superior team. We created more chances last night than we did in the Wales and Iceland match combined. O'Dowda should have done better with his chance, Hourihane and McClean had a decent effort, and Murphy should have scored that header.

The positives far outweigh the negatives last night for me.
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 7:40pm
Notice Eirsport advertising the Uruguay game for 9.30pm .....are they not showing it live ?
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 8:04pm

Darren Randolph would have been born in Dublin. 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Is there no Wicklow Maternity hospitals. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 8:08pm
Does it f**king matter? I am not exactly known for my tolerance of Dubs and I couldn't give a sh*te.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 8:09pm

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Is there no Wicklow Maternity hospitals. 

No, sure the national maternity hospital is about a 25/30 minute drive from Bray, Darren also played DDSL for years. 

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Does it f**king matter? I am not exactly known for my tolerance of Dubs and I couldn't give a sh*te.

It's a shift from were our players are coming from might not Interest you but it does me. It's good to see players from different parts of the country picking up caps as was shown last night and at the euros were a once dominated team of Dubs bastards was restricted to 9 of the 23.  
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 8:28pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It's a shift from were our players are coming from might not Interest you but it does me. It's good to see players from different parts of the country picking up caps as was shown last night and at the euros were a once dominated team of Dubs bastards was restricted to 9 of the 23.  
Ah ok, I thought ye were crying about it! That is how it came across. I couldn't give a f**k where they come from once they have respect for the jersey.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

This was far from the worst Irish performance I have ever seen. The only negatives I took from it was Duffy's performance, but as pointed out, he's been injured since March.

We were all over them until they scored the 1st on the counter. McClean gave away a stupid penalty, and we were just beaten by a technically superior team. We created more chances last night than we did in the Wales and Iceland match combined. O'Dowda should have done better with his chance, Hourihane and McClean had a decent effort, and Murphy should have scored that header.

The positives far outweigh the negatives last night for me.
Well I am more of the opinion that it was a waste of time than any harm done, this is just nonsense.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 24252627>
  Share Topic