Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mexico v Ireland - 1st June - Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 27>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Anyone think that despite Roy talking about lads with the chance to impress the manager etc, MON has basically realised that this game is only a moneyspinner for FAI and has treated it accordingly (and correctly I might add, in my opinion, with bigger games to come) with it being effectively a 'B' squad ??

Don't get me wrong, Roy wasn't lying or anything, and if lads impress, they will be kept on in the squad for the next 2 games, and it is also a genuine opportunity to look at some new faces which I'm sure MON appreciates.  But as regards fellas putting their hand up to play V Austria, anyone playing here is unlikely to feature V austria, bar the lads already in the frame like Randolph, Christie, McClean & Murphy, who certainly won't be playing full parts in all 3 games either. Although Christie might, given we have no other RB's. 

I think MON has separated this game from the real preparations to an extent and is treating it as a one off game. If he is thinking of bringing in anyone V Austria, they will probably play part of the game V Uraguay alongside 7 or 8 of those who will play V Austria, I don't think this game, bar an exceptional performance by someone, will have much of a bearing on who plays in the Austria game.

Surely that's not a bad thing, we need games to try out fringe players, and if the FAI can make serious revenue out of it, fair play, surely a lot better than losing money on a B game elsewhere.  It is not going to have a negative effect on our preparations for the Austria game, and just maybe we will see a few lads impressing.

It's all well and good making serious revenue when its going off stadium debt and hefty wages for the suits. Yet feck all of it is going back into grassroots or to help LOI clubs?

There is a negative effect on our world rankings by playing these meaningless friendless.....
In one. Is it a football association or a business? It is a well run business, just a terribly run football association.
Sponsored Links

tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by CSCD CSCD wrote:

http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/mnt-trio-called-in-for-mexico-game

edit

Edited by tonyjaa - 29 May 2017 at 10:50pm
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 3:37pm

Anyone think that despite Roy talking about lads with the chance to impress the manager etc, MON has basically realised that this game is only a moneyspinner for FAI and has treated it accordingly (and correctly I might add, in my opinion, with bigger games to come) with it being effectively a 'B' squad ??

Don't get me wrong, Roy wasn't lying or anything, and if lads impress, they will be kept on in the squad for the next 2 games, and it is also a genuine opportunity to look at some new faces which I'm sure MON appreciates.  But as regards fellas putting their hand up to play V Austria, anyone playing here is unlikely to feature V austria, bar the lads already in the frame like Randolph, Christie, McClean & Murphy, who certainly won't be playing full parts in all 3 games either. Although Christie might, given we have no other RB's. 

I think MON has separated this game from the real preparations to an extent and is treating it as a one off game. If he is thinking of bringing in anyone V Austria, they will probably play part of the game V Uraguay alongside 7 or 8 of those who will play V Austria, I don't think this game, bar an exceptional performance by someone, will have much of a bearing on who plays in the Austria game.

Surely that's not a bad thing, we need games to try out fringe players, and if the FAI can make serious revenue out of it, fair play, surely a lot better than losing money on a B game elsewhere.  It is not going to have a negative effect on our preparations for the Austria game, and just maybe we will see a few lads impressing.

It's all well and good making serious revenue when its going off stadium debt and hefty wages for the suits. Yet feck all of it is going back into grassroots or to help LOI clubs?

There is a negative effect on our world rankings by playing these meaningless friendless.....

There is a negative effect on world rankings playing ANY friendlies.

If MON does not believe the game is worth while fpr his preparations he should have refused to agree to it.   When do you suggest we get to try out new players ?

I know nothing :-)
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 3:39pm
What an odd game to be playing the other side of the world less than 48hrs before another odd game back on this side of the world.....hope they're traveling by plane and not taking the ferry
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 3:56pm

If MON does not believe the game is worth while fpr his preparations he should have refused to agree to it.   When do you suggest we get to try out new players ?

On average we play a higher number of friendlies than most teams in European Football, there is simply zero logic in it.

I know you wouldn't bring yourself to admitting anything negative about the FAI but this exercise is nothing more than a money spinner, yet the logic thing to do would have been to allow the Uruguay game go ahead where Martin could try out new players, instead of the pointless exercise that is going to America for one game................

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 4:21pm

On average we play a higher number of friendlies than most teams in European Football, there is simply zero logic in it.

I know you wouldn't bring yourself to admitting anything negative about the FAI but this exercise is nothing more than a money spinner, yet the logic thing to do would have been to allow the Uruguay game go ahead where Martin could try out new players, instead of the pointless exercise that is going to America for one game................

So then blame MON for not dong his job, he could easily have said no to the game.

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 4:32pm
What are you on about gf? How has Mon not done his job? Your reply has little to do with the point before, tangential to it at best

Simple fact is playing this game could lose us a world cup spot and millions of euro, a complete fai f**k up and nothing to do with Mon
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

What are you on about gf? How has Mon not done his job? Your reply has little to do with the point before, tangential to it at best

Simple fact is playing this game could lose us a world cup spot and millions of euro, a complete fai f**k up and nothing to do with Mon

Surely as manager he should be approving any potential friendlies

It is his job to prepar the team and if the Mexico game is couner productive to this hr should have said no.

Personally I think it's a good chance to look at a few players and if we win against Austria it will be a successful few weeks.   We need to be looking to win this group not lookimg to settle for second place.

Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 8:41pm
Is it bad for the rankings even if we win?

If some players thrive and end up featuring for us in a win over Austria then I won't care about the rankings!

Edited by Lenny82 - 28 May 2017 at 8:42pm
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by djhegzy djhegzy wrote:

How come mcgeady didn't turn up for the trip? Will he be available for the other teo games?

I think MON said he's been given a few days to sort out his future with his loan spell in PNE coming to an end.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 9:35pm

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Surely as manager he should be approving any potential friendlies

It is his job to prepar the team and if the Mexico game is couner productive to this hr should have said no.

Personally I think it's a good chance to look at a few players and if we win against Austria it will be a successful few weeks.   We need to be looking to win this group not lookimg to settle for second place.

Dunno how u can blame the manager here.

It's the FAI who have been guilty of taking a short-term view.

They've arranged this mickey mouse game at the expense of our ranking, for the sake of a cash injection that is minuscule compared to what they would have gotten if we'd qualified. 

The infuriating thing is we are on the cusp of being seeded for the playoffs, and clever administration on the part of the FAI could have given us a real chance.

And no, to answer the question I expect in reply, its not MON's fault, his employers should be on top of their game, it is their job to run the senior team and facilitate them getting to a world cup. 

Clearly nobody in the FAI has a clue about rankings, MON was months into the job before he was told friendlies even counted towards rankings, and he learned that from journalists.

Edited by rolo - 28 May 2017 at 9:36pm
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 9:55pm
Yep, not MON's fault.  The FAI draw up the fixtures, and even if MON had the power to veto fixtures in advance, it would be at the expense of a lot of bad blood to do that.

He's making the best of a bad hand and going to broaden out the squad a little bit.  Barring the rankings situation is no bad thing.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 11:35pm

Have no issue with it to be honest GF, I don't think we can both complain when fringe player X, Y & Z aren't in the squad, and then complain when the same fringe lads are brought to USA. MON is going about it very sensibly, bringing a handful of senior pros like Murphy & McGoldrick who haven't played a lot of ball this year, while minding the bulk of the 11 V Austria by leaving them at home. All the better if an O'Kane or O'Dowda or Browne etc put in a good performance V Mexico, it broadens our options for the future. 

The FAI AGM is on in KK at the moment, and the debt stands at 34 million, whether any of us like it or not, these money generating friendlies in the USA or UK (and Oman.....) are going to be part of our future for another while yet, I would be of the view to accept the commercial reality of it, whether I or any other fans likes it or not doesn't really matter. That said, we could do with a rest from Oman !

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
mike74 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 11:41pm
What was the debt last year as a matter of interest?
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 11:58pm
34.75 million, it hasn't come down a lot in the last year. 

JD seemingly said qualifying for Russia (or not) will have an effect on whether they decide to clear it before 2020, which was one of their aims of a few years back, or restructure it & extend that deadline with the aim of spending more on Irish football. He declined to say whether LOI prizemoney would increase, but he didn't rule it out either. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 1:34am
So the FAI make a bit of money off it. Great. Good for them. Will the Irish football fan see where a penny of that is being spent? Not a hope. All we'll see is that it f**ks up our seedings potentially in the event we make a playoff. 

I could stomach it if the money would for example go into our league, or to grassroots football. Not a hope of that.

I also fail to see how its a 'big money spinner of a friendly'. Even if we play to a capacity crowd (which we won't), won't Mexico be getting some of the gate receipts too? Add to that the cost of chartering a plane to the States and back, a fancy hotel, a couple days bar tab and golf outings for the FAI jolly up, how are we making so much more, or indeed any more than a friendly in the Aviva here can someone enlighten me?

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 29 May 2017 at 1:36am
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 6:58am
I cant believe some fellas on here. If we qualify for a playoff we wont have another friendly til March '17.

Playing in fromt of 60k on Thursday is a lot better experience for younger lads than playing in fromt of 15k in the empty vessle that is the 'Aviva'.

Championship has been over for 3 weeks, if anything, we havent organised enough friendlies. If we do the iob in competitive matches we neednt worry about rankings.

Roll on Russia
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 8:22am
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

I cant believe some fellas on here. If we qualify for a playoff we wont have another friendly til March '17.

Playing in fromt of 60k on Thursday is a lot better experience for younger lads than playing in fromt of 15k in the empty vessle that is the 'Aviva'.

Championship has been over for 3 weeks, if anything, we havent organised enough friendlies. If we do the iob in competitive matches we neednt worry about rankings.

Roll on Russia

If we qualify we a play off we won't be seeded because of this game which means a lot likelier chance of every player not getting a chance to play in a World Cup

But sure that's grand because some young lads get a run out in America
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 27>
  Share Topic