You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland V Uruguay - 4th June - Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 12:38am
After the  RTE match coverage Richard Sadlier and Kenny Cunningham pick their combined team to play Austria and leave out Harry Arter. Thumbs Down
Sponsored Links

OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 1:34am
Yes it was a friendly, but we played with confidence, put some lovely moves together and stuffed a good team. The tails should be up for Austria next week. Cyrus again showed that he can fill in while Coleman is out. Uruguay struggled for the full 90 with our physicality.

Again, while it was just a friendly, it was extremely encouraging. Let's play with that level of confidence next week against the Austrians and we'll have nothing at all to fear.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 9:32am
Didn't see the game but from the highlights we looked brilliant. Some class goals.

If we play like that against Austria we'll be fine.

DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 11:53am
Arter was good but by no means was he motm, Christie far more deserving of this accolade, very good all round performance from the team bar Randolph's stupid rush of blood and has been said already the problem is he is carrying his league form into the games for us now Westwood to start hopefully and finally hold his spot
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 12:36pm
I know it was a friendly last night but the lads put a very good shift in. Duffy orchestrating from the back was good to see, a lot of positives and we go into the Austria game with huge confidence. Roll on Sunday.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 12:55pm
I've seen some suggestions that Ireland beat a poor side yesterday but that is absolute nonsense. The game was played at a very high tempo and Uruguay had as many shots on target as we did (5) and possession was 50-50.

One very impressive stat is that passing accuracy for both teams was 81%, meaning Ireland played a lot of good football.
royal rover View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote royal rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 2:20pm
What was Johnny Hayes performance like?
dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 2:40pm
Excellent performance yesterday, with Duffy, Christie and Arter standing out for me. I've always been a fan of Duffy's but he has been prone to the odd error or two in an ireland jersey but he has the ability to be a very good center half for us. Id say his excellent performance yesterday was probably a reaction to his poor game in New York. Christie is, as always, a threat going forward and he showed that again yesterday but his final ball can somtimes let him down. But if he keeps getting into those threatening positions, eventually his crosses will pay off, which it did yesterday. Arter is our best central midfield player and has to start on Sunday, as has been mentioned already, his partnership with Whelan was very strong but his use of the ball is excellent as well as his tackling.

The performance in New York was very disappointing but yesterday wiped that out of the way and im sure the players will be very high in confidence after beating a good side. Our 3 goals yesterday were all from open play and goals which were the result of some good football, which is not something we can say that often.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 2:49pm
Some facts and figures from the two friendlies: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/Blog?id=6867659104670672659
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 3:32pm
Decent game for a friendly, and a million times better than that excuse for a match that was the Iceland friendly a while ago. We surprisingly played good attacking football at times, but unfortunately can't see that happening next Sunday. Reckon it will be a nervous, cagey 'hoof it up the pitch' affair. 

Christie deserved man of the match yesterday I thought. 
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

New security procedures in place tomorrow

From the FAI Ireland v Uruguay FB page

Supporters travelling to Aviva Stadium are advised to arrive at least one hour ahead of kick-off to get through security and they are reminded of new security measures:

- Aviva Stadium Management are introducing a “No Bag Policy” to all events in the stadium

- It is important that supporters do not bring any bags or rucksacks to the game

- Searching procedures will be in place at all entry points and because of this it is advisable all supporters arrive a little earlier than normal

- Extra Safety & Security measures will be in place at this fixture
Beefed up Security outside is to be expected now and welcomed in the light of the going's on from radicals elsewhere, but the fckin shoite we have to put up with in the south lower stand with the amount of fckin mutton heads they have put in there is plain just fckin annoying, are we some sort of second class supporter or something, i noted at the end of match position's that at the front of the stand they were actually shoulder to shoulder right across the front of it whereas the rest of the ground they were fairly spaced apart what the fck are the faiL at
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

New security procedures in place tomorrow

From the FAI Ireland v Uruguay FB page

Supporters travelling to Aviva Stadium are advised to arrive at least one hour ahead of kick-off to get through security and they are reminded of new security measures:

- Aviva Stadium Management are introducing a “No Bag Policy” to all events in the stadium

- It is important that supporters do not bring any bags or rucksacks to the game

- Searching procedures will be in place at all entry points and because of this it is advisable all supporters arrive a little earlier than normal

- Extra Safety & Security measures will be in place at this fixture
Beefed up Security outside is to be expected now and welcomed in the light of the going's on from radicals elsewhere, but the fckin shoite we have to put up with in the south lower stand with the amount of fckin mutton heads they have put in there is plain just fckin annoying, are we some sort of second class supporter or something, i noted at the end of match position's that at the front of the stand they were actually shoulder to shoulder right across the front of it whereas the rest of the ground they were fairly spaced apart what the fck are the faiL at

I didn't notice an increase in security measures for yesterday's game but then I reckon that was due to the attendance.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 7:22pm
At least there were no....TRUMPETS!!! Thank fook!
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 8:09pm
Was best friendly in a long time. We played very well. Lots of possession surprisingly and even more so that we were using it well and controlling the game. Arter was instremental in this in my opinion.

We need to keep it at that level for austria, think we have enough in us to get the 3 points
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

I did see the microphone stands step up and feared the worse
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by Charlton's Child Charlton's Child wrote:

Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

I did see the microphone stands step up and feared the worse

They send a shiver down any grown mans back . Drink on sale for the Austrian game ?
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 9:58am
I read somewhere that drink will be available in those lovely plastic bottles of 3.8% Carlsberg Dead

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 06 Jun 2017 at 9:58am
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 11:26am
Alcohol being available, where you have to camp out in the depths of the stadium, skulling a pint for fear you wish the 2nd half...that is not alcohol available in my book.

Unless you can sit at your seat sipping on your beer, then I couldn't be arsed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic