Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro 2020 - Venues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Wasn’t fond of the three city’s 3 matches - too much travelling as was said better 3 games in 2 city’s Poland got it right

Hopefully it’s a headache we have in the not too distant future
I could be wrong but I'm guessing that would be the sentiment of the vast majority attending the Euros, of all fans btw not just the Irish contingent. Am I wrong in saying that until recently, almost all tournaments in recent times had a team play 2 group matches in 1 city? Just makes the logistics of it all way easier for fans. Poznan in '12 we'd 2 group matches. New York '94 we'd 2 group matches.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Sponsored Links

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 8:50am
But we will have 2 matches in one city if we qualify (Dublin) and then one in north Spain 2 hour flight.

In USA we had 2 in New Jersey and one in Orlando which is a 3 hour flight.

This tournament is actually the most accessible to the average fan logistically....on paper.
It's going to a nightmare to get tickets for due to the accessibility. Some of the more regular fans will be getting shafted left right and centre by fair weather fans who know the right people

Edited by t_rAndy - 10 Mar 2018 at 9:04am
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 8:57am
Ah the next tournament is a stand alone tournament (I would hope), and I wouldn't compare the travelling set up to anything that has gone before. The setup of 2 games in 1 city in the group stage is easily the most accessible for all fans imo. Security issues may be why they've changed that up, but I think they've lessened the tournament by it. The 2020 format is just comical tbh, no host is a farce. Seems like a non event almost.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Ah the next tournament is a stand alone tournament (I would hope), and I wouldn't compare the travelling set up to anything that has gone before. The setup of 2 games in 1 city in the group stage is easily the most accessible for all fans imo. Security issues may be why they've changed that up, but I think they've lessened the tournament by it. The 2020 format is just comical tbh, no host is a farce. Seems like a non event almost.

These are the lengths they went to keep it away from turkey.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 9:42am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

It gives countries that would never be able to host a tournament on their own a chance to host tournament games. I don’t understand the negativity from you about it. Two group games in Dublin for us if we qualify. It should be brilliant.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 8:37pm
Just having a look at the format for the next European Nations Cup. 

Each qualified host nation will be guaranteed a minimum of two games at home in the finals.

That means England will be playing at least twice at the Empire Stadium, Wembley, London in Group D. 

The winner of Group D plays its Round of 16 game at the Dublin Arena, Dublin, Eire against the second placed team in Group F, which will include Germany. 

England supporters can be assured of a warm welcome and lots of local support in Dublin that night, especially given that it looks highly unlikely Eire will be involved in the tournament.

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 7:42pm

Just looking at some of the Euro2020 scheduling, I understand they can't call it the Aviva Stadium for sponsorship reasons, but sureley if they were looking for another name for it they'd just have used "Lansdowne Road" Confused

Was there any pushback in 2010 for the Europa League final? Just wondering if it was an FAI thing at the time to try to stop people using Lansdowne (think the Aviva deal justs started around 2010).

Edited by Shedite - 18 Jan 2019 at 7:43pm
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 12:37am
They called it "Dublin Arena" then as well.

You'd imagine it is up to the hosts to decide the name of their stadium. You'd also imagine that that really means Aviva get to decide and Aviva certainly wouldn't want it called "Lansdowne Road", for fear of it catching on. Presumably that's why it ends up with a sh*te name like "Dublin Arena".

Hell, the very fact we're having the conversation probably shows that it makes sense for Aviva to want it to be called something other than Lansdowne Road.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

They called it "Dublin Arena" then as well.

You'd imagine it is up to the hosts to decide the name of their stadium. You'd also imagine that that really means Aviva get to decide and Aviva certainly wouldn't want it called "Lansdowne Road", for fear of it catching on. Presumably that's why it ends up with a sh*te name like "Dublin Arena".

Hell, the very fact we're having the conversation probably shows that it makes sense for Aviva to want it to be called something other than Lansdowne Road.
Yep, "Dublin Arena" for the same reasons as WHU are playing in the "London Stadium", or Spurs are waiting to move into the "Tottenham Hotspur Stadium", rather than WHL i.e. future sponsors don't want to make the same mistake eg as BT made with Boro.

At Middlesboro, the fans originally chose the name "Riverside" in a poll, so when BT tried calling it the "Cellnet Riverside Stadium" (later the "BT Cellnet Riverside Stadium"), they eventually had to give up when they realised that the Riverside bit had stuck, at the expense of "Cellnet".

It is now simply "The Riverside Stadium".
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 4:02pm
Well it looks like Dublin, Munich and Bilbao are out. What do we think will be the replacements? For Dublin, it will be somewhere close. I'm going to guess the Principality stadium. Would Windsor park be completely out of the question?
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 9:46pm
Late possiblity  is that Munich will keep the group games but give up the quarter final.

Hard to see how they can commit to it at this stage but I guess uefa will bend over backwards to have them involved.

The link is is in German

Medien: München behält deutsche EURO-Spiele via @OneFootball. Read it here:

Edited by BohsinMunich - 22 Apr 2021 at 9:55pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 5:25pm
Laporte switching allegiance to play for Spain

Has never been capped by France 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Think he used this bait stick before after he was left out of the Euro 2016 squad. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 9:16pm
He’d do well for Spain

Eric Garcia starts for them who’s nowhere near as good 
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 9:42pm
He's basque iirc. 
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Not surprised seeing France’s strength in depth at CB.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 3:24pm
Bilbao to be compensated with the Europa League final and a Womens CL Final

Presumably something similar for us then 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 8:50pm
Absolute pony having so many teams playing at home. Dead 
Hopefully this sh*te tournament idea will never ever be repeated. 
Delighted Delaney could never see a game in Dublin 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic