Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro 2020 - Venues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

if we qualify are we definetly playing in Dublin ?
I believe I have read that if we qualify then we would have 2 games in Dublin and 1 at the other group location.
We have 2 guaranteed if we qualify and 3 if the country we are paired with doesn't qualify.  If both countries qualify then it is not clear to me who will have home advantage.  It may be the highest ranked or it may be a draw.
Assuming we got paired with Scotland, I presume if we both qualified they'd arrange the draw so we couldn't be in the same group. Then we'd have 2 games in the Aviva, and one in Hamden. Scots would have 2 in Hamden and 1 in Aviva. 

That's just how I understood it to work

Woukd obviously prefer to travel - except Glasgow
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Sponsored Links

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 6:28pm
Actually, with a pair of host cities hosting a group, you always end up with one team playing three games in one city, and everyone else playing two in one city and one in the other (against the team who play all their games there). So if Scotland qualified along with us, either us or Scotland would have three games at home, and the other would have two at home and one away (against the other).
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 6:35pm
So in that sense would there even be a draw? Or would games and venues be assigned after the draw?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 6:39pm
There'd have to be a draw for the other teams who aren't hosts.
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 7:46pm
Cardiff man at well be allocated as a host city due to Brussels looking like they may not have their stadium ready.
If they do it shouldn't be a problem separating teams as it is highly unlikely that all 3 of Ireland/Scotland/Wales will qualify.

gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 7:58pm
They are pairing cities approx 2 hours apart (or less) by plane.  They will have to be flexible with Baku.

We could get paired with  a number of different cities eg Glasgow, Brussels, Amsterdam, Bilbao, Munich, Copenhagen etc  This can be done after the draw - just ensure 3 host countries don't end up in the same group.  

My understanding is that hosts will only play away to other hosts in the group stages.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 9:49am
Looking like Brussels is in serious trouble. Construction of the stadium still hasn't started. UEFA have given them to the 22nd Nov to present all the relevant permits. Decision on any possible replacement venue will be made on 7th Dec with Cardiff,London and Stockholm in the running
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 10:11am
Stockholm should be the option. It gives a group with Stockholm and Copenhagen. London is certainly capable of hosting them but it's not really fair for them to get seven games. It doesn't make it a proper Euros for Europe if that's the case. The same sort of holds for Cardiff: it gives these islands 15 games from 51: that's a heap and probably too many in one part of Europe, assuming you give the concept some weight.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Stockholm should be the option. It gives a group with Stockholm and Copenhagen. London is certainly capable of hosting them but it's not really fair for them to get seven games. It doesn't make it a proper Euros for Europe if that's the case. The same sort of holds for Cardiff: it gives these islands 15 games from 51: that's a heap and probably too many in one part of Europe, assuming you give the concept some weight.

Wasn't there some reason why Stockholm failed in their bid?

Accommodation or could have been transport as I remember when we played there was no direct link to the Friends Arena now I'd guess this has been fixed by now.

I'd agree with the that if London or Cardiff were to get allocated games it would defeat the purpose
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I'd agree with the that if London or Cardiff were to get allocated games it would defeat the purpose
The "purpose" was to spread the tournament between their Member Associations. That way, smaller Associations who wouldn't normally be able to host entire tournaments on their own (eg FAW or FAI) would be able to host at least some games.

Assuming the IFA had an adequate stadium, would you oppose our applying on the basis that "Ireland" has already got games in the AVIVA?

Edited by Territorial - 21 Sep 2017 at 1:37pm
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

The "purpose" was to spread the tournament between their Member Associations.

Assuming the IFA had an adequate stadium, would you oppose our applying on the basis that "Ireland" has already got games in the AVIVA?

Well I can't obviously oppose anything as I don't have a say.

Though I would say though that UEFA when deciding who was successful did have in mind not have certain regional areas holding a certain number of games, and I think in terms of as you say purpose is to spread tournament out between members and Europe it played a part.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 3:18pm

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

The "purpose" was to spread the tournament between their Member Associations.

Well I can't obviously oppose anything as I don't have a say.
OK, delete "oppose" and replace with "express a contrary opinion".

Though I would say though that UEFA when deciding who was successful did have in mind not have certain regional areas holding a certain number of games, and I think in terms of as you say purpose is to spread tournament out between members and Europe it played a part.
So you're saying that UEFA don't just want to share the Finals between Associations, but also to achieve a geographical spread?

Fair enough, except that that should have mitigated against Brussels in the first place, seeing as how it is already so close to Amsterdam and London, with the 13 venues showing a clear "bias" towards NW Europe as it is - Brussels, Amsterdam, London, Munich, Copenhagen, Glasgow and Dublin - leaving whole swathes of Central, Southern and Eastern Europe out of it. (Besides which, Brussels and Amsterdam have already hosted a Finals between them, plus London and Munich individually).

But in any case UEFA expressed a third consideration:
"Fans' considerations were also taken into account. Consequently, travel distances will be factored in when assigning hosting teams to tournament groups – and where feasible, flights will not exceed two hours' duration between host cities."
http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/news/newsid=2389885.html
So if Brussels cannot now host games, then Cardiff is a suitable replacement candidate, what with its multiple/convenient transport links to London, Glasgow and Dublin, plus sub-two hour flights to Copenhagen, Amsterdam and Munich.

I guess what I'm saying is that with Brussels itself having been a compromise between the three selection criteria, then in the absence of Brussels, Cardiff would be an equally acceptable compromise, were it to be selected.

Edited by Territorial - 21 Sep 2017 at 3:21pm
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 3:34pm
 Cardiff ? I don't even particulariy want to go to Cardiff this campaignSmile

Edited by Newryrep - 21 Sep 2017 at 9:29pm
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 4:11pm
I actually had something about the regions in my initial reply but deleted as I thought it confused matters.

I myself would have no issues with it being in any of the countries I just think it the area of as you stated above regional wise Stockholm would make more sense.

I do think the current setup does favour Western Europe more then the rest
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 3:34pm
Brussels have lost their games and they have been given to Wembley instead. 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 3:36pm
Rome will host the opening match
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Brussels have lost their games and they have been given to Wembley instead. 
Hmmmmm.
"Speaking in Nyon, Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin said the decision of Uefa's executive committee had been unanimous."

Let me see now, a choice of squeezing all the Blazers into the Celtic Manor for a week in Cardiff?

Or.

A choice of any number of five star hotels for an extra week in London?

Tough one, that. LOL

Meanwhile, there was me thinking the whole point about Euro2020 was to spread it out as widely as possible amongst UEFA's different Member Associations...Confused
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 3:55pm

Edited by BrendanD88 - 07 Dec 2017 at 4:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic