You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro 2020 - Venues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Euro 2020 - Venues
    Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 8:24pm
Belgium may be in trouble having their stadium ready for Euro 2020.
Not sure if it is a new one or a renovation of the Brussels Baudioun.

Saw an article that suggested Millenium Stadium in Cardiff may be asked to fill the gap.

P.s. Couldn't find a Euro 2020 thread, looked thru 20 pages.
YBIG "search" has never worked for me.
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Belgium may be in trouble having their stadium ready for Euro 2020.
Not sure if it is a new one or a renovation of the Brussels Baudioun.
No, it's meant to be a brand new 60k "Eurostadium", not the 50k King Baudouin Stadium (i.e. the re-built Heysel).

Seems Anderlecht don't want to use the new stadium and the local authorities are getting "cold feet":
http://www.nydailynews.com/newswires/sports/belgium-soccer-official-doubts-euro-2020-stadium-project-article-1.3113817

Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Saw an article that suggested Millenium Stadium in Cardiff may be asked to fill the gap.
Or some of the French Euro2016 stadia (above article).

If NI were involved, I'd be happy with either (so long as we weren't playing the Welsh in Cardiff).
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 2:47pm
Based on the cities selected, the "pairs" for group matches should be as follows:

St Petersburg - Baku (Baku is a disaster no matter who it is paired with)
Munich - Rome
Amsterdam - Copenhagen
Glasgow - Dublin
Budapest - Bucharest
and
Bilbao - Brussels

That being the case, Bilbao should be paired with somewhere closer to there, maybe Bordeaux. That would be a great base for a group.

There are other potential pairs, like Brussels - Amsterdam, Copenhagen - Munich and Rome - Bilbao, but no matter which you cut it, some of the pairs are a pain in the arse.
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 2:58pm
Guaranteed 3 home games for us should we qualify so because there is no chance of Scotland making it.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 2:58pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 11:30am
I wonder would FAI season ticket holders for 19/20 season given first option any games in Dublin?
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 11:38am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I wonder would FAI season ticket holders for 19/20 season given first option any games in Dublin?

No, the tickets would be handled in the same was as any tournament - FAI would have no control over ticketing outside of the allocation they would receive if we are taking part in a game. 
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

No, the tickets would be handled in the same was as any tournament - FAI would have no control over ticketing outside of the allocation they would receive if we are taking part in a game. 

So it would be public tickets sold via UEFA site for any non FA tickets

Edited by lassassinblanc - 29 Jun 2017 at 11:51am
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 11:52am

So it would be public tickets sold via UEFA site for any non FA tickets

Both participating FAs would get an allocation, there would be a public ballot and then tickets to sponsors etc.

Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 11:54am
Anyone think it will be a disaster ? Looking forward to the concept of visiting the other cities following Ireland but I think it could end up being expensive with airlines shafting people on shortish notice for flights
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

Anyone think it will be a disaster ? Looking forward to the concept of visiting the other cities following Ireland but I think it could end up being expensive with airlines shafting people on shortish notice for flights

So the same as all previous tournaments so.

I remember that being the worst part about France not knowing until pretty much just before kickoff where we'd be if I remember correctly we could have played in Lyon or Toulouse.

I think that the group stage will be fine as that will be set but going forward depending on other results I'd agree it could well cause a bit of a shafting especially for countries like ourselves not linked via land.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Based on the cities selected, the "pairs" for group matches should be as follows:

St Petersburg - Baku (Baku is a disaster no matter who it is paired with)
Purely football-wise, there are far worse cities than Baku to base yourself - NI fans had a great time there earlier in the month.

And having been to St. Peterburg (though not for a match), I liked it too.

Anyhow, I've just checked and it seems AZAL (low cost subsidiary of Azerbaijan Airlines) have non-stop flights between the two cities. It's around 4 hours, but they don't look to be too expensive. Baku is cheap, too.

The other host city with non-stop flights to Baku is Budapest (v.cheap with Wizzair). London too, obviously.

Tbh, I'd even take that, too, if need be - the Wizzair flights out to Baku are overnight, so if nothing else it saves you a hotel bed.

Darraghn92 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darraghn92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 2:39pm
According to UEFA, "The twelve venues hosting group stage matches will be divided into six pairs, with each pair hosting one group. UEFA will draw up five or six lists of pairings, taking into account of sporting strength (assuming all host teams qualify), geography, and security/political constraints, and one list of pairings will be selected by draw in November/December 2017"
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 4:06pm
if we qualify are we definetly playing in Dublin ?
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

I believe I have read that if we qualify then we would have 2 games in Dublin and 1 at the other group location. 
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 4:14pm
So on short notice after qualifying and flights through the roof we could be looking at YBig buses from Dublin Port to main land Europe
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 4:16pm

I believe I have read that if we qualify then we would have 2 games in Dublin and 1 at the other group location. 

We have 2 guaranteed if we qualify and 3 if the country we are paired with doesn't qualify.  If both countries qualify then it is not clear to me who will have home advantage.  It may be the highest ranked or it may be a draw.

I'd highly recommend Baku as a place to visit.  
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

We have 2 guaranteed if we qualify and 3 if the country we are paired with doesn't qualify.  If both countries qualify then it is not clear to me who will have home advantage.  It may be the highest ranked or it may be a draw.
Assuming we got paired with Scotland, I presume if we both qualified they'd arrange the draw so we couldn't be in the same group. Then we'd have 2 games in the Aviva, and one in Hamden. Scots would have 2 in Hamden and 1 in Aviva. 

That's just how I understood it to work
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic