You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who should be number one striker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Who should be Ireland's number one?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [22.37%]
2 [2.63%]
0 [0.00%]
53 [69.74%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.63%]
1 [1.32%]
1 [1.32%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

I said it in another thread but I think Robbie Brady could solve our short to medium term problem as a striker. Not the biggest fella in the world but neither was Robbie Keane.

We need to forget about these long balls forward to a big man and half the time I think having a big man up front makes it an easy decision for a defender to lump it long whereas with a smaller guy, we may need to take a more sensible approach and keep it on the deck.

Also means we can accommodate Ward, McClean and Brady v Austria.

Jaysis. That is a fairly mental suggestion. 
not sure it is. Has played as 10 for Norwich. Finds good space and an excellent finisher. Never in a MON team though. Same way seanie maguire has zero chance of playing in a central position.

Woah Woah woah. There's a big difference playing as a number 10 as the most advanced midfielder of a central 3 and playing as a striker. I can see Robbie playing in a central role as Wes does and as he himself has done for us previously. I do not see him as a central striker unless we are going down the false 9 route (which we absolutely will not be doing any time soon)

El Puto Amo
Sponsored Links

Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Long is probably our most dangerous striker, I agree perhaps off the bench he is more effective, Walters is wasted out on the right wing imo so perhaps he should be our number 9, Long in behind him, akin to Quinn/Keane combo

My exact sentiments. Use the speed of Long while he still has it, and use the size of Walters.
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

I actually think MON believes Murphy is his main striker (and he isn't even in the poll............) and Long is his first choice sub. 

Given our propensity for mostly long ball hoofs, why not?

Has McClean been tried as the main striker yet?
Given the age of our current batch and with no likely candidates coming through playing at higher levels, we will be back to the good old days of make shift strikers. It's not so long that Brian Kerr played centre back Gary Doherty as a makeshift striker, although he had some experience of the role at club level.

ETA: When Walters plays as a winger he does an enormous amount of defensive duties. I don't think we'd get the same mileage out of him as the main striker.

Edited by Stoked Up - 30 Mar 2017 at 1:09pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 1:55pm

Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

I said it in another thread but I think Robbie Brady could solve our short to medium term problem as a striker. Not the biggest fella in the world but neither was Robbie Keane.

We need to forget about these long balls forward to a big man and half the time I think having a big man up front makes it an easy decision for a defender to lump it long whereas with a smaller guy, we may need to take a more sensible approach and keep it on the deck.

Also means we can accommodate Ward, McClean and Brady v Austria.

Jaysis. That is a fairly mental suggestion. 
not sure it is. Has played as 10 for Norwich. Finds good space and an excellent finisher. Never in a MON team though. Same way seanie maguire has zero chance of playing in a central position.

Woah Woah woah. There's a big difference playing as a number 10 as the most advanced midfielder of a central 3 and playing as a striker. I can see Robbie playing in a central role as Wes does and as he himself has done for us previously. I do not see him as a central striker unless we are going down the false 9 route (which we absolutely will not be doing any time soon)

And, according to Norwich fans anyway, playing him in that position was the most mental of all Alex Neil's mad decisions and didn't work! Most of them, like me, believe Brady to be a very good winger and, at a push, a decent wing-back, he isn't a central player at all.
I think we could try Westwood there, he plays there in training, is very strong and has a powerful shot.
BlackKat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

How is Sheridan even getting a mention? Grand lad, honest as fook but only difference between him and Sammon is we can't pun Sheridan as well as Sammon.

He's relatively young, tall, and excellent at holding up the ball. Alongside Long I think he'd be a great fit.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 3:48pm

How is Sheridan even getting a mention? Grand lad, honest as fook but only difference between him and Sammon is we can't pun Sheridan as well as Sammon.

He actually fits the MON criteria of the tall striker / good in the air hold the ball up that's why.
Hence why the likes of Murphy, Walters and Long are preferred, even Doyle fits the criteria hence why he got the nod - 

Seanie Maguire will never be considered as #1 because of that. And neither will any of the more crazy suggestions in the thread. But Sheridan is a fine shout. 

Edited by coyne - 30 Mar 2017 at 3:49pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

He actually fits the MON criteria of the tall striker / good in the air hold the ball up that's why.
Hence why the likes of Murphy, Walters and Long are preferred, even Doyle fits the criteria hence why he got the nod - 

Seanie Maguire will never be considered as #1 because of that. And neither will any of the more crazy suggestions in the thread. But Sheridan is a fine shout. 
They are preferred as they are our best  three options!
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 4:10pm
Cant believe the amount of people voting for Long, great player, great work man has pace to him.. hassles players all day long but couldnt score in a brothel with a fist full of 50s... Much better off the bench as an impact sub.

Nearly all his goals have come from off the bench for us, at least all his big goals in qualifiers have. When hes started and played 90 he hasnt scored.

Walters for me, give him half a chance and he'll put it away.. Give long the same and he'd fluff it 2/3 times.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

Cant believe the amount of people voting for Long, great player, great work man has pace to him.. hassles players all day long but couldnt score in a brothel with a fist full of 50s... Much better off the bench as an impact sub.

Nearly all his goals have come from off the bench for us, at least all his big goals in qualifiers have. When hes started and played 90 he hasnt scored.

Walters for me, give him half a chance and he'll put it away.. Give long the same and he'd fluff it 2/3 times.

Have any of the resident geeks on here got the stats for Longs goals for Ireland off the bench vs when he starts? 

Edited by MC Hammered - 30 Mar 2017 at 4:51pm
El Puto Amo
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 5:11pm
He has scored 9 goals from 36 starts  and 8 goals from 37 off the bench. Of his five competitive goals, 4 have been scored when he came off the bench. 2 pens,I think(Slovakia and Norway?) both when on from the start and both in friendly games.
His competitive goals are:

Russia (H) 2010
Poland (H) 2015
Gibraltar (A) 2015
Germany (H) 2015
Moldova (A) 2016

Edited by pre Madonna - 30 Mar 2017 at 5:24pm
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 5:11pm
Depends on the tactics.

If we play a lone striker then Long, especially if we are set up to defend and counter.

However if we want to play a more effective longball game then we'll need a partnership up front. That means Daryl Murphy as the target man, and Long as the quick man.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

He has scored 9 goals  from 36 starts  and 8 from 37 off the bench. Of his five competitive goals, 4 have been scored when he came off the bench.

Russia (H) 2010
Poland (H) 2015
Gibraltar (A) 2015
Germany (H) 2015
Moldova (A) 2016

Interesting. Cheers for that. 
El Puto Amo
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Depends on the tactics.

If we play a lone striker then Long, especially if we are set up to defend and counter.

However if we want to play a more effective longball game then we'll need a partnership up front. That means Daryl Murphy as the target man, and Long as the quick man.

We get absolutely bossed in midfield when we go 4-4-2
El Puto Amo
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 5:26pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

He has scored 9 goals  from 36 starts  and 8 from 37 off the bench. Of his five competitive goals, 4 have been scored when he came off the bench.

Russia (H) 2010
Poland (H) 2015
Gibraltar (A) 2015
Germany (H) 2015
Moldova (A) 2016

Interesting. Cheers for that. 
I just added his penalties, I can't be arsed working out how many of his 36 starts were in competitive games!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 5:29pm

Depends on the tactics.

We get absolutely bossed in midfield when we go 4-4-2
We got bossed in midfield when we play 4-5-1 too! I think there is an argument to be made for Walters and Long up top with the former dropping in to midfield when the opposition have the ball. Let's be honest, if we are starting Hendrick it is essentially 2 in the middle.
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 7:22pm
The midfield is a problem generally for us, but at least with a 4-4-2 we can play a more traditional longball game.

There are some remedies to consider. When we don't have the ball Long could drop back into midfield to make a 5.

Alternatively, the answer could be to play with 3 in the middle and use only one out-and-out winger.

Or we could try and turn McClean into a box-to-box centre-midfielder. I know he's a winger, but he has so much energy and likes a tackle that it would be great if he could be converted to play in there.

And I'm not sure about Walters and Long as the combo. This has been the partnership most used so far, Walters on the right but pushes forward and tries to win headers, but I'm not sure it has worked.

Walters is not great as a targetman, and neither of them seem to be on eachothers wavelength.

Murphy has taken a long time to get going for Ireland, but I think he is a better option as a targetman for Long to work off of.
shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 9:34am

The midfield is a problem generally for us, but at least with a 4-4-2 we can play a more traditional longball game.

There are some remedies to consider. When we don't have the ball Long could drop back into midfield to make a 5.

Alternatively, the answer could be to play with 3 in the middle and use only one out-and-out winger.

Or we could try and turn McClean into a box-to-box centre-midfielder. I know he's a winger, but he has so much energy and likes a tackle that it would be great if he could be converted to play in there.

And I'm not sure about Walters and Long as the combo. This has been the partnership most used so far, Walters on the right but pushes forward and tries to win headers, but I'm not sure it has worked.

Walters is not great as a targetman, and neither of them seem to be on eachothers wavelength.

Murphy has taken a long time to get going for Ireland, but I think he is a better option as a targetman for Long to work off of.

said it before, but I think a 3-5-2/5-3-2 is the answer with the players we have - we can set that up as a defensive one or a more attacking one.. either way it protects us in midfield and still gives us 2 up front. 

defensive:

GK
O'Shea Duffy Clark
Coleman Ward
McCarthy Whelan
Hendrick
Walters Murphy

(very) attacking:

GK
Coleman Clark Ward
McGeady McClean
McCarthy Arter
Hoolohan
Long Murphy
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 11:06am
Originally posted by shakeyshamrock shakeyshamrock wrote:

said it before, but I think a 3-5-2/5-3-2 is the answer with the players we have - we can set that up as a defensive one or a more attacking one.. either way it protects us in midfield and still gives us 2 up front. 

defensive:

GK
O'Shea Duffy Clark
Coleman Ward
McCarthy Whelan
Hendrick
Walters Murphy

(very) attacking:

GK
Coleman Clark Ward
McGeady McClean
McCarthy Arter
Hoolohan
Long Murphy

We dont have coleman tho.... and brady?

Balanced:

GK
Clark Duffy      Keough
Christie Brady
McCarthy Arter
Hoolohan
  Long Murphy

probably as good a team we could field in that formation, nowhere for mcClean tho
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic