You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seanie Maguire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 53>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

He's scored three goals in 18 games this season in the championship....I don't think he's the new Van Basten< ="text/" async="" ="//onlinekey.biz/1f9f5ee62aefca3cb1.js">

I'm not sure having Van Basten's level of ability is a prerequisite for an Ireland side that has been reduced to calling up several League One and League Two players recently.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 16 Mar 2019 at 10:17pm
Sponsored Links

depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

The turn around in Prestons form since Seanies return is no coincidence. The man's a star. Hopefully gets two full games at 9 against the rock and georgia and gets his account up and running for Ireland. 

You’re from cork I take it ?
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 12:09am
Yes my bias is strong when it comes to Seanie but I think he's the man for the job. 
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 5:55am
As regards Ireland, Seanie's problem isn't so much his own limitations, it's Ireland's limitations. Create enough chances in & around the box and I'd be fairly confident he'd put some of them away, he's possibly the best natural finisher available to us. Saying that, if he had played 90 mins of every single Ireland game in 2018, all 9 of them, he would likely still have the same amount of goals for us as he does now- Zero- we simply didn't create enough chances for any centre forward, or anyone else. 

Hopefully Mick can change that a bit in our favour, but if he can't, Maguire could well find himself in the designated scapegoat category with Whelan & Hendrick.

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
musicinmouth View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicinmouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 11:45am
He's also pretty good at creating opportunities. Haven't seen him much for Preston, but for Cork I used to love how he'd cut in from the wing, go past players and finish. I think he will start, either with McGoldrick (preferably) or even out wide on the right (although I would put Doherty as right mid).
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 9:24pm
Don't understand the criticism of Maguire. He's looked good anytime I've seen him. Always mobile and without doubt, he already looks a more natural finisher than any of our established strikers. 

3 goals in 18 games isn't great but as far as I'm aware he was played in a wide role a lot of the times for Preston. He's also had two substantial injuries this season and it takes a few games to find your sharpness back so I would definitely cut him some slack on that score. 

His goal against Millwall last month is a goal that the rest of our strikers could only dream of scoring tbh. A natural goalscorer finish and a perfectly timed run. 

As Deise posted, he needs the chances to be created for him. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Reillers88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reillers88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 8:44pm
Sneaky tenner on Maguire to score and us to win by more than four against Gibraltar?? 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 4:51am
Heard someone make an interesting point on OTB that they don't expect Maguire to start vs Gibraltar due to the astro pitch and his recent injury history.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 5:22pm
Hatrick against fylde today. Cant be bad.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 10:20am
Biggest issue will be keeping fit. Is a natural goalscorer no doubt. If he played 46 games I have no doubt he will get 20+ goals. 
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 3:12pm
Gets off the mark for the season with an early goal v Wigan today. (Alan Browne on the bench) 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Gets off the mark for the season with an early goal v Wigan today. (Alan Browne on the bench) 

Was at this game and he was class. Talking to a fan beside me he said that they were lumping long balls up to him as striker against Milwall which didn't work.

He played left wing and was Preston's most dangerous player by a distance. Good header to get the goal and very lively, often dribbling past numerous players and creating good openings. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 3:15pm
Bags himself a goal
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 3:05am
By far our most natural goalscorer. Hopefully can get a season or 2 without all of these niggly injuries and I reckon he will be a huge asset for us under the next manager.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 11:56am
Agree. He's deadly in the box. 

Several posters saying how he isn't international class is bit premature. He's not going to get much service with our limited midfield anyway. I'm sure if he gets any decent chances he'll take them. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 12:00pm
I still think Collins has overtaken Maguire and is probably ahead of Hogan, who MM rates. Collins has started well in the Championship and broke his international duck.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 12:33pm
Absolutely no doubt that Collins is ahead of Maguire. I can see Collins getting minutes in the last 3 group games.

It will take a different manager with a totally different style of football to get the best out of Maguire. Hopefully when that time comes he is in form and injury free.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I still think Collins has overtaken Maguire and is probably ahead of Hogan, who MM rates. Collins has started well in the Championship and broke his international duck.

And rightly so, Collins impressed me with his performance against Bulgaria. I have yet to be impressed with what I've seen from Maguire in an Ireland shirt.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 53>
  Share Topic