You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Missing Coast Guard Helicopter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

An aircorps rescue helicopter crashed in Tramore bay in 1999, resulting in the loss of 4 lives, another extremely sad occasion as the crew were only starting day 2 of an entire new rescue service based at Waterford airport. 

There was a report into the crash, and basically what happened in that situation was there was particularly bad fog that night at the airport, visiblity was practically zero, and as the report later found, the airport wasn't ideally equipped with either the relevant personnel or instruments/equipment required in such a situation. Running low on fuel and after a few aborted landing attempts, the pilots made the decision to land on nearby Tramore beach. They clipped a high sand dune while flying low & looking for a suitable landing spot, the helicopter exploded on impact resulting in the loss of 4 lives. 

It was the first thing I thought of on Monday last when I heard about this one, I'm only 3 miles away from the airport and Rescue 117 frequently flies (low) over my parents house on its missions. The journal.ie reports debris on the actual island, but also states there is no significant impact damage on the island. Language is very important in these reports, and reading it, the first thing that struck me was the use of the word significant, ie, he didn't say there was no impact damage. 

Mechanical failure is always, always the first thing mentioned in any aircraft crash, it rarely turns out to be the case. If there were a significant safety issue, Sikorsky would have grounded all their helicopters, they didn't. That too tells something of a story. The black box signals are coming from 40-60 metres away from the island, according to reports. If what Peter's link above says is true, it looks like a not too dissimilar incident to the one in 1999. There was no mayday call there either. 

I have no idea as to the reasons for it, but anyone even on here who lives near where one of these rescue helicopters is based will confirm they seem to fly incredibly low at the best of times. The island/lighthouse is 180 metres above sea level. It looks like a desperately unlucky & tragic accident, but adding it all up, tis difficult not to come to the conclusion that they flew into something they didn't see or know was there in the first place. 

If it did indeed suffer sudden mechanical failure, the odds on bits of the helicopter impacting on the only tiny piece of land around for about 20 square miles, and not the surrounding water, must be ridiculously high. 

Very good post Deise I was only reading about the Tramore crash earlier. Seems like a balls up with the airport not having anyone there out of hours for ATC which seems crazy in this day and age. Reading on about the Mayo crash on that forum is very enlightening despite the forum's name. It's essentially filled with pilots from both types of aircraft and plenty of them from the UK and Norway even remember meeting one or the other from the crew. The knowledge imparted there is truly excellent and gives a much broader understanding of what might have happened, certainly much more so than any sh!te in the media or the inevitable report. Aer Corp reduced staff might be a red herring, ultimately aside from talking on the radio, if something goes wrong another helicopter can actually help out as opposed to a fixed wing aircraft. 

Likely to have been multiple factors:

- the cloud ceiling changed from 500 ft to about 200 ft in the hour or so after the crash

- 116 refers to the base rather than the helicopter. It may be that the helicopter they used had automated flight location info for say the Waterford region and switched around for maintenance ect and reassigned to Dublin, therefore Blacksod and Black Rock may have been confused if neither was already inputted before then.

- flying at the speed they would have been descending to land, radar and terrain identification systems can suffer from misleading data. One North Sea oil rig pilot mentions how he nearly sh*t himself when he saw the rig go by his window when he should have been another hundred or so feet higher according to his radar. 

- While preparing from landing, maps would have been zoomed closed, both Blacksod bay and Black Rock would have looked identical (coast, a lighthouse, sea) The main difference being one is 300 ft above sea level and the other near sea level. 

Also: the CPI (Crash Position Indicator) didn't do it's job (as per usual supposedly)

Edited by Peter Stöger - 18 Mar 2017 at 11:43pm
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 3:49pm
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 9:32pm
RTÉ just reported a significant amount of wreckage recovered and tail damaged with what would appear to be impact with s rocky surface
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 12:55pm
Wreckage located according to a news alert on phone
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 2:11pm
That's good news.

Hopefully they find the remaining bodies and their families can put them to rest.

My missus asked me the other day how do they know they're dead? Stern Smile
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

That's good news.

Hopefully they find the remaining bodies and their families can put them to rest.

LOL

Not the thread for it but had to laugh at that. LOL

Funny thing is they can't really say they know when the bodies haven't been recovered. Aren't they still officially missing?

I'd imagine they'll be still inside the wreckage. It's a wonder how she managed to get out of the helicopter as there must've been a very short timeframe between it hitting the rock and going into the sea.

Edited by irishmufc - 22 Mar 2017 at 2:46pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

That's good news.

LOL

Not the thread for it but had to laugh at that. LOL

Funny thing is they can't really say they know when the bodies haven't been recovered. Aren't they still officially missing?

I'd imagine they'll be still inside the wreckage. It's a wonder how she managed to get out of the helicopter as there must've been a very short timeframe between it hitting the rock and going into the sea.
I`ve had a bit of a wonder about this, the best I can come up with is when it was out of control and spinning around she simply fell out.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 7:51pm
TJ, ive already deleted one of your absolutely hilarious posts in this thread re the RNLI. Anymore and you can have a holiday. 4 people have died serving this country and the lads you are taking the piss out of are serving the same poeple. Keep it to the attention seeking thread, this thread isnt the place .

Edited by Sham157 - 22 Mar 2017 at 8:02pm
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 11:39am
Deise you were spot on with your theory about the crash. The pilot must have been thrown from the helicopter at some point. Hopefully they can retrieve the other 3 bodies for the sake of their families.

Edited by reddladd - 23 Mar 2017 at 12:42pm
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 11:49am
The morning of the crash I spoke with people involved with the coastguard and it was very early to speculate but disorientation or major mechanical failure were the two possibilities that they were focusing on . One lead to the other

Also well called Sham157 on the above mod-ing
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 9:52pm
Initial report out. It makes for tough reading. Helicopter not equipped with data relating to the island/lighthouse, as was speculated. Crew did not know it was there, and flying too low to avoid it when they did see it. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 10:33pm
Unreal to think in this day and age with all the technology that that f**king rock wasn't on any data software onboard a 20 million euro aircraft . I presume it's the Canadians that will have to take blame as they are contracted to run our services and should have had it updated ?
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

Unreal to think in this day and age with all the technology that that f**king rock wasn't on any data software onboard a 20 million euro aircraft . I presume it's the Canadians that will have to take blame as they are contracted to run our services and should have had it updated ?

Not necessarily, the Canadians (CHC), or possibly Sikorsky,  sourced the Ground Proximity Warning module from Honeywell, who in turn sourced the data input into the module from one of their suppliers (unnamed in public report but named to investigators). Who takes ultimate responsibility for that is probably something that could only be settled by courts of law. 

The crew also had a low altitude switch engaged (presumably normal while preparing for landing), and the activation of that switch has the effect of inhibiting the other various warning signals given out by the module. 

Edited by deise316 - 13 Apr 2017 at 11:09pm
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 11:14pm
I'm sure there will be plenty of legal wrangling and finger pointing over the next few months . Heart breaking to read "we are gone" in that report .

Hickster74 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 12:49am
I let someone tell me to trust satnav once. It sent us on a road crow flight. I went back to paper.
Hickster74 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 1:40am
Someone lost concentration when programming our coastal risks as an underpaid ooutsource for a yank company perchance? We're idiots if we trust anyone else to know about that no matter what it costs.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 1:57am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Initial report out. It makes for tough reading. Helicopter not equipped with data relating to the island/lighthouse, as was speculated. Crew did not know it was there, and flying too low to avoid it when they did see it. 

Such a needless loss of live. That is a devastating read.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic