You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Missing Coast Guard Helicopter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Missing Coast Guard Helicopter
    Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 6:53am
Just seeing this on the news now . Hopefully this situation is not tragic and all is ok

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0314/859533-coastguard-mayo-incident/

Edited by Butch - 14 Mar 2017 at 6:53am
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 7:15am
Near Blacksod Bay.

Very rough up round there on a bad day. Winds are something else. Very exposed to the elements. This doesn't look good if they went down in the water round there.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 7:52am
One of the crew has been located. In critical condition.
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 7:56am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Where did you hear that ? Hopefully the other 3 will be located
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Where did you hear that ? Hopefully the other 3 will be located
http://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0314/859533-coastguard-mayo-incident/ ;
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 8:26am
Just got a news alert on the phone to say what appears to be wreckage has been located
Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 1:02pm
Christ just seen this now unbelieveable Unhappy God help them.
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 1:09pm
Awful stuff. Really doesn't look good.

It was mild last night. I wonder how the hell this happened.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 1:11pm
No MayDay or distress signal from Helicopter either
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 2:21pm
The Crew Member recovered from the water has died in Hospital. RIP.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 2:23pm
RIP

Heroes one and all in the Coast Guard. Paying the ultimate price
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 2:25pm
Terrible tragedy, this. People putting their lives on the line every day to keep us safe.
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 9:49pm
R116 usually does a fly over for our St Patrick's Day parade and will be missed above the skies on the east coast . Fairly new aircraft and very experienced lady behind the controls
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 9:53pm
Very sad, the same helicopter was called out twice our way over the weekend to two incidents in the Cooley mountains

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 10:51pm
RIP to the crew, there are hundreds of people who owe their lives to them & their colleagues over the years. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 9:01am
Obviously too early to speculate but I really hope it was a catastrophic mechanical failure and not something else that could be associated with no may day or distress signal. I hope the families get closure and they find out exactly what happened as the other ones in service would have to be
reviewed I'd imagine.

Could power just fail and cause a helicopter like that to literally fall out of the sky and not give them a chance to send a communication?

Edited by irishmufc - 15 Mar 2017 at 9:02am
Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 5:01pm
Supposedly Blackrock lighthouse nor the island is recorded on the Ordinance Survey maps that the SAR guys use, you would fooking hope that's not a contributing factor here

Edited by Peter Stöger - 18 Mar 2017 at 5:02pm
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 8:29pm
An aircorps rescue helicopter crashed in Tramore bay in 1999, resulting in the loss of 4 lives, another extremely sad occasion as the crew were only starting day 2 of an entire new rescue service based at Waterford airport. 

There was a report into the crash, and basically what happened in that situation was there was particularly bad fog that night at the airport, visiblity was practically zero, and as the report later found, the airport wasn't ideally equipped with either the relevant personnel or instruments/equipment required in such a situation. Running low on fuel and after a few aborted landing attempts, the pilots made the decision to land on nearby Tramore beach. They clipped a high sand dune while flying low & looking for a suitable landing spot, the helicopter exploded on impact resulting in the loss of 4 lives. 

It was the first thing I thought of on Monday last when I heard about this one, I'm only 3 miles away from the airport and Rescue 117 frequently flies (low) over my parents house on its missions. The journal.ie reports debris on the actual island, but also states there is no significant impact damage on the island. Language is very important in these reports, and reading it, the first thing that struck me was the use of the word significant, ie, he didn't say there was no impact damage. 

Mechanical failure is always, always the first thing mentioned in any aircraft crash, it rarely turns out to be the case. If there were a significant safety issue, Sikorsky would have grounded all their helicopters, they didn't. That too tells something of a story. The black box signals are coming from 40-60 metres away from the island, according to reports. If what Peter's link above says is true, it looks like a not too dissimilar incident to the one in 1999. There was no mayday call there either. 

I have no idea as to the reasons for it, but anyone even on here who lives near where one of these rescue helicopters is based will confirm they seem to fly incredibly low at the best of times. The island/lighthouse is 180 metres above sea level. It looks like a desperately unlucky & tragic accident, but adding it all up, tis difficult not to come to the conclusion that they flew into something they didn't see or know was there in the first place. 

If it did indeed suffer sudden mechanical failure, the odds on bits of the helicopter impacting on the only tiny piece of land around for about 20 square miles, and not the surrounding water, must be ridiculously high. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic