You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kieran O'Hara

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kieran O'Hara
    Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 3:43pm
20 year goalkeeper who called up for the Manchester United squad forthe game in Russia. Anyone know if he is any good or if he wants to play for us? He has Irish grandparents.

"You cannot afford to rely on history, you have to make it" - Martin O'Neill
Sponsored Links

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 4:01pm
Already plays for us. This is good news
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 4:08pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 4:17pm
Scarlet for ya................
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 10:13pm

Updated / Tuesday, 7 Mar 2017 21:44

Ireland hopeful Kieran O’Hara was named in Manchester United’s squad for the away trip to Rostov for Thursday’s Europa League last-16 clash.

The Manchester-born goalkeeper has declared for Ireland, qualifying through his Irish grandparents, and was selected in the 20-man squad that flew out to Russia this afternoon.

O’Hara has yet to play a senior game for United and the 20-year-old will, no doubt, be behind Sergio Romero and David de Gea in the pecking order for Thursday’s encounter but the selection is certainly a nod of approval from Red Devils manager Jose Mourinho.

The 6ft 3in shot-stopper was previously called into the Ireland Under-21 squad last September after impressing while on loan at Morecambe.

“I always thought about the possibility of declaring for Ireland and my Dad was always keen for me to do so,” said O’Hara, talking to the FAI last September after his call-up.

“We’d have a bit of banter about the England or Ireland thing but it was always something I knew was possible and to get the call from Noel [King] was an honour.

“I spoke to Noel and he knew I had relatives from Galway and was eligible to play. I was delighted. I then get my Irish citizenship and the passport and I’m delighted it has all come through.

“My grandparents on my father’s side were both from Galway. My Dad was very pleased. His side of the family are really proud and so is my Mum, of course.

“We’ve still got relatives in Ireland. My Dad’s aunt is still living in Galway and we’d always go to visit her when I was younger. She lives on a farm. I’d always have a Galway GAA shirt as well when I was a kid.”

And O’Hara believes that he is now learning from the best in the business as he gets to train alongside David De Gea on a daily basis.

“In my opinion David De Gea is one of if not the best goalkeepers in the world right now so to get to see him every day and to get the privilege to train with him sometimes and learn from him can only improve me as a goalkeeper.”

"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 10:20pm
It will be great news for some of the lads on here that he is eligible for England, as they can now spend the next 4 years urging MON to call him up, and post stuff about the English FA possibly 'stealing' him back from us if MON does not comply with their wishes. 

Other than the inevitable nonsense that will follow, Jose is a decent judge of a Keeper, he rarely has bad ones, called Casillas' decline early enough too, so the fact he thinks O'Hara is worthy of being 3rd choice for Man U is an encouraging sign for the youngfella. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 10:38pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 10:43pm
Even if the young lad ends up in League 1 or wherever next season, it wouldn't be any harm in O'Neill looking at getting him involved in training camps.

We've a real lack of goalkeepers coming through. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

It will be great news for some of the lads on here that he is eligible for England, as they can now spend the next 4 years urging MON to call him up, and post stuff about the English FA possibly 'stealing' him back from us if MON does not comply with their wishes. 

Betting market opens at Under/Over 7.5 "Can we move this to the ROW section" posts

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 07 Mar 2017 at 11:43pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 12:41am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Other than the inevitable nonsense that will follow, Jose is a decent judge of a Keeper, he rarely has bad ones, called Casillas' decline early enough too, so the fact he thinks O'Hara is worthy of being 3rd choice for Man U is an encouraging sign for the youngfella. 
Joel Pereira and Dean Henderson are injured and Sam Johnstone is on loan at Villa.
Best of luck to the lad but he`s probably still 5 or 6th choice there.
You will however have the inevitable crew calling for his inclusion in Ireland squads purely because he has 2 hands.

I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Even if the young lad ends up in League 1 or wherever next season, it wouldn't be any harm in O'Neill looking at getting him involved in training camps.

We've a real lack of goalkeepers coming through. 

Do we?

At present we have

Randolph (29)
Elliot (30)
Westwood (32)
Henderson (28)
Murphy (33)

All either premier league or championship regulars with anywhere from 5-10 years left in them.

Already trained with the senior squad

Ian Lawlor (22), now playing regular ball in league 2, will be league 1 next season.
Danny Murphy (22), back playing second fiddle at Aberdeen but was doing well out on loan.

Then you've players from our U21's
Liam Bossin (20) trying to breakthrough at Anderlecht, doning well in their youth team & on loan

on top of this lad at United.

I think we're doing alright, keepers tend not to establish themselves until mid 20's these days.

Randolph is good example, spent most of his early career in league 2 and conference, before joining Motherwell which subsequently led to Birmingham signing him at 26. 2 good seasons the got him a PL move at 28, before finally establishing himself at 29.

Of the 4 lads above, under the age of 22, id be confident of one of them makig the breakthrough. My money on Lawlor.

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 5:15pm
We're not in dire straights when it comes to keepers certainly, but we aren't overflowing with options either. Bar Westwood and Randolph(recently) , we don't have any other guaranteed starters in the top two divisions. There's plenty of lads like Henderson, Murphy, Bunn and Lonergan who are in-and-out of their club sides, but I wouldn't really want to be relying on any of them if we had a few injuries going into a big qualifying match. Having a young keeper coming through at a big club can only help.
We're decent enough..
GUFC_Andy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUFC_Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 2:07pm
On the bench today vs Palace
Don't ban me for no reason, please.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 3:30pm
In the squad for the United game against West Brom on Sunday 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 4:03pm
Whenever I see his name I get 'Spanish Sahara' by The Foals stuck in my head.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Whenever I see his name I get 'Spanish Sahara' by The Foals stuck in my head.

Tune Clap
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 9:52pm
Saved four pens today, including three in a shoot out to see them through Clap
scottyccfc View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyccfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 2:17pm
Cap him or it will be Grealish Mark III this time next year!
Hometown football, cant beat the feeling...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic