Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

San (Stan) Marino 10 years on

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: San (Stan) Marino 10 years on
    Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:33am
Was 10 years ago yesterday

Good article from Dan McDonnell in the Indo

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/ten-years-on-from-grim-night-for-the-gaffer-in-san-marino-35433166.html

An interesting snippet or two in it

7 of the ten man board from that period are still on it shock horror...

Also the game Long made his debut

Edited by Denis Irwin - 08 Feb 2017 at 9:34am
Sponsored Links

BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:46am
I see our great leader was as spineless then as he is now...

Delaney eventually appeared on Today FM. "I speak on behalf of the FAI but I didn't make the decision to appoint Bobby and Steve on my own", he declared, pointing out it was the board's call.
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:48am
You know yourself Podge, when the sh*t hits the fan everyone gets the blame, when we draw the aces Delaney takes the praise.

That's hardly Zeno behind the 'Delaney Out' banner?

Edited by reddladd - 08 Feb 2017 at 9:54am
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:51am
Shameless f**ker sending out a gentleman like Bobby Robson to take the the flack despite the fact he was ill with cancer

Edited by Denis Irwin - 08 Feb 2017 at 9:51am
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:54am
2500 made that trip?

Would be a nice June or September away trip if we got them again in qualifiers. Would do the week in Italy.  
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:57am
Stayed in Rimini, lovely beach, we just didnt have the weather. Good trip apart from the match.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:59am
Feck, hard to believe its 10 years ago!
I`ll freely admit I was willing San Marino to hold on for the draw, it would have been massive for them and it would've helped us get rid of Stan.

The thing that stands out for me was a few weeks before the match Mario Rosenstock did an almost prophetic skint on the radio set a couple of years after the match where he was interviewing Ireland manager Roy Keane about the infamous draw in San Marino.
It was all supposed to be mad stuff to make you laugh because of course we could never draw with San Marino and Keane could never have any part in an Irish set up.

Edited by Bitored - 08 Feb 2017 at 10:05am
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

I`ll freely admit I was willing San Marino to hold on for the draw, it would have been massive for them and it would've helped us get rid of Stan.

Same here. Was actually slightly raging when Stephen Ireland got the winner as it got JD off the hook. No way could Stan have survived if it had remained 1-1

Edited by Denis Irwin - 08 Feb 2017 at 10:05am
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 10:05am
An awful night. I was fuming when the players celebrated the winner. San Marion were robbed as well. The ref played about 30 seconds more injury time than what the 4th official held up. It should have been blown up when San Marino cleared it for the throw in that led to our second goal.

One of the very low points in my almost 30 years following Ireland.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 10:15am

@Bitored & Denis Irwin

I was embarrassingly jumping round the house with relief when we got the winner but no matter what you think of the manager or Delaney, I can't fathom how you wouldn't want us to win. Supporting Ireland should be unconditional and above factors like the manager, or CEO of the FAI or because Roy Keane wasn't playing etc etc  It's the same mentality that hope we would fail under Trap if it mean't getting rid of him.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Same here. Was actually slightly raging when Stephen Ireland got the winner as it got JD off the hook. No way could Stan have survived if it had remained 1-1
Ya it was a surreal feeling when Ireland scored,  I was gutted for San Marino. I had  given up qualification hopes long before the game so I was just hoping a rock bottom result like that would shake the sh1t out of Irish football.

I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 10:29am
What an up and down trip that was. Defo great to see somewhere new though as Sham says, Rimini would have been a far better place to visit in June. Cracking kick around in the car park before the game followed by a few cans. Nobody told the locals about UEFA regulations as they were selling cans out of a trolley in the ground ! One toilet was never going to be enough for everyone so we can told by the cops to go out of the ground at half time and p1ss against the side of the national sports centre !
Too much Vodka red bull drank in some English bar that night - Ended up leaving the San Marino shirt I bought there and had to go back to try and find it ! 12 hour delay on the flight back the next day due to snow in London !

Remember the game being awful - Remember having a serious moan to Stephen Hunt's parents on the way out (didn't know who they were at that stage). Really did feel like the start of the end for Stan that night.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 10:37am

Ya it was a surreal feeling when Ireland scored,  I was gutted for San Marino. I had  given up qualification hopes long before the game so I was just hoping a rock bottom result like that would shake the sh1t out of Irish football.

Honestly fcuk San Marino. Let them worry about themselves.

You'd be quiet happy for us to have had another 'Leichenstein' and forever be associated with an embarrassing draw in San Marino that would make us a laughing stock?! Confused

I can understand the lads on here not attending Ireland games due their bad treatment by the FAI but to not want the team to win 100% of the time just means you can't possibly call yourself an Irish supporter/fan as it's conditional on certain factors manager/CEO/state of Irish football.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 10:42am
Not a bad lineup that night....

Henderson
Finnan, Dunne, O'Shea (McShane 45), Harte (Hunt 74)
Duff, Carsley, Ireland, Kilbane
Long (Stokes 80), Keane.

Subs Not Used: Colgan, Alan Quinn, Keogh, Gibson.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 10:49am
It was a f**king sh*t show muff. JD didn't give two f**ks then and doesn't give two f**ks now. The ends would have justified the means and I'll make no apology for it.(FWIW I didn't wish for anything other than a win before the start of the game) We were promised a "World Class manager" by the dear leader after Kerr was sacked and he gave the job to Staunton who had f**k all managerial or coaching experience (Don't blame Staunton for taking it btw who wouldn't want the chance to manage their country. It was evident after the game in Cyprus that Staunton was way out of his depth IMO. The draw against the Czechs and the 5-0 win over San Marino merely paperd over the cracks IMO.

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 10:49am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Honestly fcuk San Marino. Let them worry about themselves.

You'd be quiet happy for us to have had another 'Leichenstein' and forever be associated with an embarrassing draw in San Marino that would make us a laughing stock?! Confused

I can understand the lads on here not attending Ireland games due their bad treatment by the FAI but to not want the team to win 100% of the time just means you can't possibly call yourself an Irish supporter/fan as it's conditional on certain factors manager/CEO/state of Irish football.

Sure there are plenty happy to see Ireland lose just read the Rugby thread
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 10:58am
The FAI had invited a delegation of League of Ireland managers on the trip as they had just taken over the running of the league.

A couple of the bosses were slightly taken aback by the uninspiring nature of the Irish warm-up; they didn't expect to see elite players preparing for a European Championship qualifier by participating in a drill that involved a bit of piggybacking.

WTF LOL

edit: Who was carrying Dunne?

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 08 Feb 2017 at 10:59am

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

The FAI had invited a delegation of League of Ireland managers on the trip as they had just taken over the running of the league.

A couple of the bosses were slightly taken aback by the uninspiring nature of the Irish warm-up; they didn't expect to see elite players preparing for a European Championship qualifier by participating in a drill that involved a bit of piggybacking.

WTF LOL

edit: Who was carrying Dunne?

The players preferred this is watching DVDs studying the opposition.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic