FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

San (Stan) Marino 10 years on

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: San (Stan) Marino 10 years on
    Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 10:38pm
Going on Joe Duffy alone is ridiculous. Should never have been the case but apart from that, I can't see what he did for Ireland.

Sad to see him pass away but he may have felt he had to do it as he hadn't been able to do much else through illness.
Sponsored Links

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 5:31pm
Fresh off an operation to get a brain tumour removed, he was shouted at on national radio over whether or not he had Steve Staunton on speed dial by Joe Duffy.

It was an absolute disgrace.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Originally posted by Joe Stalin Joe Stalin wrote:

Originally posted by RayHoughton RayHoughton wrote:

Dark,Dark times of Irish Football. Poor ol Booby Robson. Talk about being thrown under a bus.

Was he really though? I've often wondered about this poor ol' Bobby stuff. He was being well paid to do a a job as far as I know.

Agree fully that it should have been Delaney or Stan on the interview but whatever treatment he got on Liveline was timid to what he got over the years from the English media. I doubt he even gave it a second thought.
the indignity, the cowardice of it. hiding behind this frail old  great football man was pathetic. 

Trying not to sound heartless here but, that frail old great football man was picking up €250k a year. It wasn't like they put Charlie O'Leary out to defend the team!
what he was on was irrelevant, he was nothing more than an ambassador. he cannot be held responsible for the debacle. a man with such a distinguished career being lambasted by halfwits on what is ireland version of the public stocks. Delaney knew what he was in for, i very much robson knew. It was absolutely disgusting to be honest and it shows what sort of character delaney is. The fact he is still helm a decade later says alot about this country.
Ah hear, it's not like they exploited a vulnerable old man. If he's not up for answering the questions he shouldn't have taken the job.
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 3:57pm

Dark,Dark times of Irish Football. Poor ol Booby Robson. Talk about being thrown under a bus.

Was he really though? I've often wondered about this poor ol' Bobby stuff. He was being well paid to do a a job as far as I know.

Agree fully that it should have been Delaney or Stan on the interview but whatever treatment he got on Liveline was timid to what he got over the years from the English media. I doubt he even gave it a second thought.
the indignity, the cowardice of it. hiding behind this frail old  great football man was pathetic. 

Trying not to sound heartless here but, that frail old great football man was picking up €250k a year. It wasn't like they put Charlie O'Leary out to defend the team!

what he was on was irrelevant, he was nothing more than an ambassador. he cannot be held responsible for the debacle. a man with such a distinguished career being lambasted by halfwits on what is ireland version of the public stocks. Delaney knew what he was in for, i very much robson knew. It was absolutely disgusting to be honest and it shows what sort of character delaney is. The fact he is still helm a decade later says alot about this country. 
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 3:50pm

I was watching 'The Charlton Years' with Colm Meaney again the other day, himelf and Mick Byrne come across as full of their own importance, especially in comparison to the likes of Jack and Quinn who had reason to be.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 3:32pm

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

The players should have been blamed and taken as much of the flack as Stan did for that result in San Marino, he was clearly out of his depth managing at that level "but" when you have a team full of Premiership/Championship players needing an injury team winner against police officers, dentists and the odd part time pro (Selva the exception) then you should be ashamed of yourself.

Fast forward 10 years, we now see how football has evolved and that the smaller teams are getting better tactically but the players were cowards that night imo. 
I agree with that. There was enough quality and experience on that pitch for a couple of leaders to step up and do a professional job. I can still feel the relief when Ireland scored, Kerr's reaction summed it up.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 9:48am
The players should have been blamed and taken as much of the flack as Stan did for that result in San Marino, he was clearly out of his depth managing at that level "but" when you have a team full of Premiership/Championship players needing an injury team winner against police officers, dentists and the odd part time pro (Selva the exception) then you should be ashamed of yourself.

Fast forward 10 years, we now see how football has evolved and that the smaller teams are getting better tactically but the players were cowards that night imo. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 9:41am

Yep. Was a measure of how spineless Delaney is. Let's not forget appointing Stan was his decision.
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 9:23am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

I'd never noticed the coincidence before:

Steve Staunton: 100th cap, a 1-1 draw against Germany, with an injury time equaliser.
John O'Shea: 100th cap, a 1-1 draw against Germany, with an injury time equaliser.

Obviously Stan didn't score his, but an interesting coincidence all the same.

So your saying that JOS could potentially become our next manager?
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 9:13am

My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Joe Stalin View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 6:16pm

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 5:22pm
I'd never noticed the coincidence before:

Steve Staunton: 100th cap, a 1-1 draw against Germany, with an injury time equaliser.
John O'Shea: 100th cap, a 1-1 draw against Germany, with an injury time equaliser.

Obviously Stan didn't score his, but an interesting coincidence all the same.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 1:11pm
That Slovak/Czech double header is legendary, nearly killed me.

1 night Vienna
2 nights Bratislava
4 nights Prague
1 night London

Rented a lovely apartment on Wenceslas Square right beside Scorpios.

Also stayed in the Crowne Plaza in Bratislava, armed security on every floor.

Edited by Gary McKay - 09 Feb 2017 at 1:12pm
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

I think now with the passage of time Stan will once again be remembered fondly for the player he was, now that the wounds from his disastrous campaign have subsided. Personally i'd be happy if at any mention of Stan in an Irish football context his managerial stint was never again acknowledged. A decent man and a figure the Irish football public were fond of thrown in completely out of his depth, but i don't begrudge him for taking the job on.

I disagree with that to be honest. I dunno is that because I was at the games in Cyprus & San Marino, but any time I see or hear mention of Stan, the first thing I think of is that disastrous campaign rather than the stellar Irish career as a player. 

There is a number of things about the era & games under Stan that are kind of taken as fact these days, but don't really tally with my own memory of things. The Swedes in that friendly were as disinterested a bunch of lads who ever showed up for a September friendly, I remember remarking to someone that it was the first time I had ever seen a team go through 90 minutes without making a single tackle. We did play well considering, but even at the time, I thought it had all the hallmarks of a kind of faulty result that would have little bearing on reality. 

The Germany game, they scored via a deflected shot, but all our attacking efforts culminated in Jens Lehman catching a single cross (or it might have been a corner) in 90 minutes. It wasn't too bad of a performance considering, but wasn't anything great either. Cyprus ended the Irish careers of Kenny, Andy O'Brien & Morrisson, in my opinion, somewhat unfairly. Not saying any of the 3 would have had anything substantial to offer in later years, but O'Brien & Morrisson were probably worthy of squad places at the very least in later games, as ever, we weren't laden down with that much talent. 

Always thought the San Marino game was nearly the worse of the 2 in a way, the Cypriots were decent at home around that era, beat Wales there as well if memory serves me right, though Wales weren't up to much then either. I kind of see where the lads who half hoped SM would win were coming from, but I wouldn't have been one of them. At that time, we still had a lot to play for, and the optimist in me thought we might turn it around, though even at the time it looked unlikely due to the generally dire performances. 

By the time Cyprus home game came around, there were many many others with the same opinion as the lads, and I include meself in that, I was nearly half sorry Finnan got (an excellent finish) the equaliser, though the few thousand staying on 15/20 minutes after the game calling for JD's head was what did for Stan, if it was going to be one or the other , JD was making sure it wasn't going to be him. 

Were you going on trips when he played, Deise? Genuine question.

I did Cyprus the year before when we pretty much played just as poorly under Kerr but got out with a 1-0 thanks to a Shay peno save and a Stephen Elliot goal so didn't go back the following year. Didn't do San Marino that campaign, did Germany and the Slovakia / Czech double header so despite only picking up a point the performances weren't that bad. The campaign was a bizarre one, I thought from the off that Staunton was a disastrous appointment, he never struck me as management material but my first memories of him when he's mentioned these days are of his playing career, the goal direct from the corner v the north, the hat to keep the sun off the big pasty head on him in US 94, the draw v Germany on his 100th cap, that sort of thing. I've just tried to forget he ever managed us! Shameful that 7 of the board who made that decision are still in situ tbh.

Always my first thought of Stan tbh.

My view of his management was that he wasn't up for it and was thrown to the Wolves. That should have been a point when the whole FAI was uprouted and replaced.

As many have pointed out, you couldn't blame Stan for taking the job, if JD rang up any of us tomorrow and said here how would you like to manager Ireland we'd gladly accept experience or not.

I think also you have to factor in the Bobby Robson part too into why it didn't work out. Bobby was brought in to help Stan out but unfortunately he was ill and couldn't help out as much as perhaps he could have liked.

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 11:33am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

I think now with the passage of time Stan will once again be remembered fondly for the player he was, now that the wounds from his disastrous campaign have subsided. Personally i'd be happy if at any mention of Stan in an Irish football context his managerial stint was never again acknowledged. A decent man and a figure the Irish football public were fond of thrown in completely out of his depth, but i don't begrudge him for taking the job on.

I disagree with that to be honest. I dunno is that because I was at the games in Cyprus & San Marino, but any time I see or hear mention of Stan, the first thing I think of is that disastrous campaign rather than the stellar Irish career as a player. 

There is a number of things about the era & games under Stan that are kind of taken as fact these days, but don't really tally with my own memory of things. The Swedes in that friendly were as disinterested a bunch of lads who ever showed up for a September friendly, I remember remarking to someone that it was the first time I had ever seen a team go through 90 minutes without making a single tackle. We did play well considering, but even at the time, I thought it had all the hallmarks of a kind of faulty result that would have little bearing on reality. 

The Germany game, they scored via a deflected shot, but all our attacking efforts culminated in Jens Lehman catching a single cross (or it might have been a corner) in 90 minutes. It wasn't too bad of a performance considering, but wasn't anything great either. Cyprus ended the Irish careers of Kenny, Andy O'Brien & Morrisson, in my opinion, somewhat unfairly. Not saying any of the 3 would have had anything substantial to offer in later years, but O'Brien & Morrisson were probably worthy of squad places at the very least in later games, as ever, we weren't laden down with that much talent. 

Always thought the San Marino game was nearly the worse of the 2 in a way, the Cypriots were decent at home around that era, beat Wales there as well if memory serves me right, though Wales weren't up to much then either. I kind of see where the lads who half hoped SM would win were coming from, but I wouldn't have been one of them. At that time, we still had a lot to play for, and the optimist in me thought we might turn it around, though even at the time it looked unlikely due to the generally dire performances. 

By the time Cyprus home game came around, there were many many others with the same opinion as the lads, and I include meself in that, I was nearly half sorry Finnan got (an excellent finish) the equaliser, though the few thousand staying on 15/20 minutes after the game calling for JD's head was what did for Stan, if it was going to be one or the other , JD was making sure it wasn't going to be him. 

Were you going on trips when he played, Deise? Genuine question.

I did Cyprus the year before when we pretty much played just as poorly under Kerr but got out with a 1-0 thanks to a Shay peno save and a Stephen Elliot goal so didn't go back the following year. Didn't do San Marino that campaign, did Germany and the Slovakia / Czech double header so despite only picking up a point the performances weren't that bad. The campaign was a bizarre one, I thought from the off that Staunton was a disastrous appointment, he never struck me as management material but my first memories of him when he's mentioned these days are of his playing career, the goal direct from the corner v the north, the hat to keep the sun off the big pasty head on him in US 94, the draw v Germany on his 100th cap, that sort of thing. I've just tried to forget he ever managed us! Shameful that 7 of the board who made that decision are still in situ tbh.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Nib Nib wrote:

What was the game where Stan snuck up behind Tony O'Donoghue who was doing an interview and made a stupid face into the camera?

Dunphy flipped out big time.
Which is ironic when you consider that Stan came across as a Stan Laurel type gombeen when he spoke - "you tell me", "I am de gaffwer".

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
RayHoughton View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayHoughton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 10:47am
George 'The Baggio brothers, of course, are not related' Hamilton

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic