You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Nations League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 126>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsYourUncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 9:22pm
Not totally convinced this is good news. The League C campaign would've been a perfect bedding in period for Kenny against almost certainly weaker opposition, an opportunity to build some confidence going into the WC qualifying. Now he'll be faced with a relatively tough start, in all likelihood.
Sponsored Links

GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 9:25pm

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 9:34pm
16 teams in each section is a far better setup than 12 teams. I presume it will also kill off even more windows for silly friendlies.

In terms of Ireland, it's a perfect setup going forward. Lots of average teams in that section to get some results. Perfect chance to try and rebuild and if it's 6 matches in the Nation's League that's a better starting point.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 24 Sep 2019 at 9:56pm
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 9:42pm
100% getting Wales again 🤦‍♂️

GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 9:54pm
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

16 teams in each section is a far better setup than 12 teams. I presume it will also kill off even more windows for silly friendlies.

In terms of Ireland, it's a perfect setup going forward. Lots of average teams in that section to get some results. Perfect chance to try and rebuild and if it's 6 matches in the Nation's League that's a better starting point.

I think a drop to group C in its current format wouldn't have necessaryily been a good. group B seems competitive but it is what it is. A lot of average teams. Will be a good test for Kenny. 
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 10:32pm
Is there world cup spots at stake? 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Is there world cup spots at stake? 

They haven't yet outlined how it will link with the WC qualifiers, but it will, somehow. I'm sure they are working on something ridiculously complex and expensive for fans as we speak. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by Charlton's Child Charlton's Child wrote:

100% getting Wales again 🤦‍♂️

Will the draw be seeded?

A Carling Cup group of us, NI, Wales and Scotland....zzzzzzz

Could get an interesting group looking at the teams there, few teams like Finland, Romania etc. we haven't visited in a while

Edited by belt - 24 Sep 2019 at 10:47pm
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 10:58pm
Be done in pots, we can get both Wales & Scotland, but not NI. 

Pot 1 Russia, Austria, fcukin Cardiff again, Czechs
Pot 2 Slovakia, Turkey, Ireland, NI
Pot 3 Scotland, Norway, Serbia, Finland
Pot 4 Bulgaria, Israel, Hungary, Romania. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 11:04pm
Load of crap this NL.  We will be playing the same mediocre teams over and over every bloody year. It will be worse than the 6 nations rugby!

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 11:09pm
This is miles better. Gets rid of the ridiculous 3 team groups. 
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 11:12pm
I think they'll say that there are no playoff spots for League D in this, because it only has seven teams now.

If UEFA has 13 places in the 2022 World Cup, expect the Nations League to be followed by 10 groups (5 of 5, 5 of 6) as it is now, but with group winners only qualifying, then three sets of playoffs for Leagues A, B and C for the final three World Cup spots.

It means that teams in Leagues B and C are exceedingly unlikely to make the playoffs unless they actually win their groups.

I still think it is (just about) a positive, as we still have a chance of being second seeds for the group proper. We need to win our Nations League group for that to happen now though...
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 11:14pm
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 11:15pm
If you finish in the top 200 teams in Europe and are a country with a large, wealthy television audience, then you are guaranteed a playoff. Hard luck Scotland!
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 7:01am
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

This is miles better. Gets rid of the ridiculous 3 team groups. 

The 3 team groups made no sense. After one tournament they are switching to 4 after consulting with the European countries FAs.
Could they not have done this before??

I still think it’s too complicated but it reduces the number of friendly matches which have become a farce at this stage. 

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 7:24am
The competitions are a bigger farce though! 
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 8:53am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Be done in pots, we can get both Wales & Scotland, but not NI. 

Pot 1 Russia, Austria, fcukin Cardiff again, Czechs
Pot 2 Slovakia, Turkey, Ireland, NI
Pot 3 Scotland, Norway, Serbia, Finland
Pot 4 Bulgaria, Israel, Hungary, Romania. 

Assume this is as it stands and remaining qualifiers will change this or is or is it final as based on NL finishing positions?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 126>
  Share Topic