You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Nations League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 126>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by SimonCox SimonCox wrote:

Is this poster serious?! LOL Contradicting himself much?

First of all he limits his research to win/win scenarios, then when pointed out to him that his research is pointless, he includes win/draw and draw/win scenarios - and arrives at different outcomes to this research as quoted above. 

He is completely misrepresenting the stats to work for his argument. He is still ignoring all the many draw/draw scenarios over the past 28 years, perhaps this poster doest think we can win two penalty shootouts in 4 days?

It's best to not pay any heed to the misleading "statistics" of this poster as they are not valid. He ignores eligible groups of results to enhance his argument and even then comes to two different outcomes to his research in the same post LOL

My one and only point here is that we would find a playoff scenario where we play 2 separate teams ranked in or around us, in the space of 3 days, very difficult to overcome. Bosnia was the one example of us doing that in 28 years, but Bosnia are just the one team, not 2 separate ones. 

My ''research'' involved glancing at historical results for less that 10 minutes, it isn't a fcukin thesis or anything. D69 correctly pointed out I hadn't taken into account win/draws, or draw/wins, but having had a look, there aren't any, not against 2 reasonably decent teams, ie the 1st to 3rd seeds, in any group we have been in since 1990.  <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Now, we are down to consecutive draws, and there aren't many of those either, most are from the Trap era.  If holding out for consecutive draws and winning on pens is the best we can hope for in a playoff situation, it still doesn't look great. </span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">What's you're own opinion of the NL playoffs, and our chances in it so (should we end up in them) ? We win the 2 games, no bother, easy enough ? If that is your opinion, fair enough, but I'd like to see what tis based on, other than sheer optimism. Don't get me wrong, we could get lucky with the draw, get a weakish league C team in an SF and then make a final, but I genuinely don't see the reason for all this confidence that the playoffs are a handy enough 2nd route to the Euros. </span>
</span>
</span>
</span>
</span>
</span>
</span>

Until three years ago we hadn't beaten a team ranked above us for 15 years. We have beaten 4 since then. Its a game of football anything can happen.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

First of all he limits his research to win/win scenarios, then when pointed out to him that his research is pointless, he includes win/draw and draw/win scenarios - and arrives at different outcomes to this research as quoted above. 

He is completely misrepresenting the stats to work for his argument. He is still ignoring all the many draw/draw scenarios over the past 28 years, perhaps this poster doest think we can win two penalty shootouts in 4 days?

It's best to not pay any heed to the misleading "statistics" of this poster as they are not valid. He ignores eligible groups of results to enhance his argument and even then comes to two different outcomes to his research in the same post LOL

My one and only point here is that we would find a playoff scenario where we play 2 separate teams ranked in or around us, in the space of 3 days, very difficult to overcome. Bosnia was the one example of us doing that in 28 years, but Bosnia are just the one team, not 2 separate ones. 

My ''research'' involved glancing at historical results for less that 10 minutes, it isn't a fcukin thesis or anything. D69 correctly pointed out I hadn't taken into account win/draws, or draw/wins, but having had a look, there aren't any, not against 2 reasonably decent teams, ie the 1st to 3rd seeds, in any group we have been in since 1990.  <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Now, we are down to consecutive draws, and there aren't many of those either, most are from the Trap era.  If holding out for consecutive draws and winning on pens is the best we can hope for in a playoff situation, it still doesn't look great. </span>
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">What's you're own opinion of the NL playoffs, and our chances in it so (should we end up in them) ? We win the 2 games, no bother, easy enough ? If that is your opinion, fair enough, but I'd like to see what tis based on, other than sheer optimism. Don't get me wrong, we could get lucky with the draw, get a weakish league C team in an SF and then make a final, but I genuinely don't see the reason for all this confidence that the playoffs are a handy enough 2nd route to the Euros. </span>
</span>
</span>
</span>
</span>
</span>
</span>

Until three years ago we hadn't beaten a team ranked above us for 15 years. We have beaten 4 since then. Its a game of football anything can happen.
And I think we all realise that, especially Deise. It is the probability of it happening, based on previous results, that is being discussed.
SimonCox View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonCox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 2:45pm

My ''research'' involved glancing at historical results for less that 10 minutes, it isn't a fcukin thesis or anything. D69 correctly pointed out I hadn't taken into account win/draws, or draw/wins, but having had a look, there aren't any, not against 2 reasonably decent teams, ie the 1st to 3rd seeds, in any group we have been in since 1990.  Now, we are down to consecutive draws, and there aren't many of those either, most are from the Trap era.  If holding out for consecutive draws and winning on pens is the best we can hope for in a playoff situation, it still doesn't look great. 

What's you're own opinion of the NL playoffs, and our chances in it so (should we end up in them) ? We win the 2 games, no bother, easy enough ? If that is your opinion, fair enough, but I'd like to see what tis based on, other than sheer optimism. Don't get me wrong, we could get lucky with the draw, get a weakish league C team in an SF and then make a final, but I genuinely don't see the reason for all this confidence that the playoffs are a handy enough 2nd route to the Euros. 

My own opinion is that the Bosnia results you mention are the only valid ones for this purpose, they're the only time we were in a playoff for a 24 team euros. So we have a one hundred percent success rate.

Regardless of qualifying format, the same 20 odd teams are gonna fill the first 20 spots more or less every time, and if we're in a playoff again we're gonna find ourselves up against the same kinda teams we could have faced in the euro 2016 playoffs.

It didnt work out to be the doomsday scenario you're presenting. I agree I'd not bet anyone else's money on us getting through, but it's a nice option to fall back on, given our 2015 result.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

International football is for the birds at this stage. What a load of rubbish.

Qatar will be the worst world cup ever. Joke of a country.

Are you never not complaining about something LOL

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
BippityBoop View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BippityBoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 9:35pm
Might be a stupid question, but anyone know when the tickets  to the nations league matches go on sale (home and away).

I know the season tickets are available to buy now, but just wondering for single matches.

Cheers.
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 10:07pm
I know we got four points of the Welsh but this is going to be a very hard group to survive in, especially if Bale and Ramsey are fit. 
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 9:25am
Originally posted by BippityBoop BippityBoop wrote:

Might be a stupid question, but anyone know when the tickets  to the nations league matches go on sale (home and away).

I know the season tickets are available to buy now, but just wondering for single matches.

Cheers.
I wouldn't panic too much. Neither game will sell out
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 1:30pm
I heard Nathan Murphy from off the ball say yesterday that the way the UEFA Nations works, we are 99% sure to get one of the play off places that get dished out to the nation's league if we don't come first or second in the main qualifiers. Is that the case that it is a most likely scenario that we will get a play off place ?

Edited by t_rAndy - 18 Nov 2018 at 1:31pm
BippityBoop View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BippityBoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 8:03am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I heard Nathan Murphy from off the ball say yesterday that the way the UEFA Nations works, we are 99% sure to get one of the play off places that get dished out to the nation's league if we don't come first or second in the main qualifiers. Is that the case that it is a most likely scenario that we will get a play off place ?

Could still happen, not sure about 99% though.

Is it a case of just hoping that Denmark and Wales qualify automatically so that we go through to the playoffs?
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 8:05am

Is it a case of just hoping that Denmark and Wales qualify automatically so that we go through to the playoffs?

Apparently we're gaurenteed a play off if no more than 6 teams fron league C & D qualify automatically 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 8:23am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Apparently we're guaranteed a play off if no more than 6 teams fron league C & D qualify automatically 

I think we will get a playoff tbh, The only teams from League A I can see perhaps not finishing in the top 2 are Iceland and Poland,

then you would have the likes of Denmark,Bosnia, Austria, Russia, Sweden,Wales,Turkey, Ukraine,Czech Republic all capable of finishing in the top 2 as well.

We could of course get a handy draw ourselves  and not need to rely on the playoffs but I do believe we will be at least 1 of the 16 teams to qualify for them.

As you stat above if no more then 6 qualify from C and D looking at those teams I'd say only Serbia and Romania would be capable imo to finish in the top 2

Edited by lassassinblanc - 19 Nov 2018 at 8:26am
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 10:02am
If from what seems to be said it now looks very likely at worst we will get a playoff for the euros for 2020.
It is now imperative that we get young guys in a get them game time as we really have something to work towards.starting from tonight.
Its clear our current crop are limited but surely we can find a system that suits us but we really need to sort out attacking options and our centre midfield pairing.
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 10:07am
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

If from what seems to be said it now looks very likely at worst we will get a playoff for the euros for 2020.
It is now imperative that we get young guys in a get them game time as we really have something to work towards.starting from tonight.
Its clear our current crop are limited but surely we can find a system that suits us but we really need to sort out attacking options and our centre midfield pairing.
Judgment of players should be put ice until 4/5 game into a new Managers reign.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 10:28am
f**kin hell LOL

And of all teams to hand it to us as well
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Judgment of players should be put ice until 4/5 game into a new Managers reign.
Why?
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 10:46am
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

https://www.balls.ie/football/ireland-northern-ireland-euro-2020-401143

It's almost impossible not to qualify! But I am sure MoN will find a way LOL

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 11:13am

Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

https://www.balls.ie/football/ireland-northern-ireland-euro-2020-401143

It's almost impossible not to qualify! But I am sure MoN will find a way LOL

and he'll probably be handed a new contract for his troubles too because we reached a playoff
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 126>
  Share Topic