You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Nations League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 126>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

I've tried assessing the terms and conditions of this Nations league thing til my eyes glaze over but it stills makes little sense. If you have a team from all four tiers making this final play off, surely all the teams from the top league would already have qualified anyway and then most the second tier teams too. That would leave us only needing to maybe beat Northern ireland in the nations cup to alone potentially qualify us for a play off against Latvia or whoever to make the Euros. Saves this stupid best third place algorithm thing but it seems a pretty lame back door route to the finals, which I think are already too simple to qualify for as it is. 
Could easily work in our favour mind.

Not quite right.

Say 11 of the 12 League A teams qualify in the proper qualifiers.
Say 9 of the 12 League B teams do likewise.
Then the playoffs are
League A: four teams, one from League A and (I think) three from League C.
League B: four teams, three from League B (I think) and one from League C.
League C: four teams from League C.
League D: four teams from League D.

I'm not sure how they are ranked. I think the League C playoffs would be the top four teams from League C, with the fifth best League C team joining the League B playoffs and the sixth to eighth best teams joining the League A playoffs, but frankly I don't know that for sure.
Sponsored Links

Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

I've tried assessing the terms and conditions of this Nations league thing til my eyes glaze over but it stills makes little sense. If you have a team from all four tiers making this final play off, surely all the teams from the top league would already have qualified anyway and then most the second tier teams too. That would leave us only needing to maybe beat Northern ireland in the nations cup to alone potentially qualify us for a play off against Latvia or whoever to make the Euros. Saves this stupid best third place algorithm thing but it seems a pretty lame back door route to the finals, which I think are already too simple to qualify for as it is. 
Could easily work in our favour mind.

Not quite right.

Say 11 of the 12 League A teams qualify in the proper qualifiers.
Say 9 of the 12 League B teams do likewise.
Then the playoffs are
League A: four teams, one from League A and (I think) three from League C.
League B: four teams, three from League B (I think) and one from League C.
League C: four teams from League C.
League D: four teams from League D.

I'm not sure how they are ranked. I think the League C playoffs would be the top four teams from League C, with the fifth best League C team joining the League B playoffs and the sixth to eighth best teams joining the League A playoffs, but frankly I don't know that for sure.
Thanks that makes it a bit clearer. You can imagine Uefa's mathematicians spending a good year trying to thrash out that system. 
To add a greater sense of meaningulness to these matches ,which is the whole purpose here, though it would be more appreciated if there could actually be a more comprehensible sense of what the actual significance is to the outcome of all these games as there are a lot of hypotheticals. 
ROI qualifications for tournaments and out of groups once we get there seems to involve enough calculation of maths equations as its is!  Confused
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 12:55am
Are they definitely the teams in each pot for the Nations League Dave? If so, I would like to get Austria and Czech republic for a mix of travel and results. Wouldn't fancy getting anything in Istanbul or Moscow. Northern Ireland is a hard one to judge but I would have a bad gut feeling that we could lose or there could be trouble at the game.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 1:14am
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Are they definitely the teams in each pot for the Nations League Dave? If so, I would like to get Austria and Czech republic for a mix of travel and results. Wouldn't fancy getting anything in Istanbul or Moscow. Northern Ireland is a hard one to judge but I would have a bad gut feeling that we could lose or there could be trouble at the game.

How would people feel if we did draw the north if the FAI refused an away allocation from the IFA
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 9:56am
i'd be disappointed as the psni said they didn't have any problem if Celtics had decided to take their tickets....
I think the cops up there know what to do... setanta cup final 2007 drogs v linfield there was well policed and no trouble, we didn't even see the opposing fans until we got into the stadium, train straight from Drogheda to some station beside the ground , then straight back out again WITH THE CUP....obviously not as big as night game norn v rep ..... about 5000 at the game
Come on Irelind
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Those are definitely the pots, yes.
manchesterbhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manchesterbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 3:46pm
i would be disappointed if we didnt take an allocation 

linfield v celtic was an example, celtic fans albeit 200 or so behind one goal accomodated fine

as for trouble if its gonna happen it will and not necessarily near the ground either 

as the drog mentions above train in and out 

bigger problem would be number of tickets available 
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 4:33pm
If we draw NI then there is a good chance I reckon we would not take an allocation.  

For the Swiss playoff the IFA could only give the minimum 5%.  I don't know the minimum for away fans for the Nations League.  It may be the same as for UEFA qualifiers which i believe is 10%.  Even the Swiss 5% saw some fans in the corner of the North Stand.  I would imagine the buffer zones etc would be much stricter if we played there.  

Access is also an issue.  For club games that may pose a risk it is relatively easy to get one set of fans to enter via the Boucher Road and the other to enter via Donegall Avenue.  This isn't possible with a full house for an International match.

Old Gill View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Gill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 11:16pm
Cliftonville go to WP all the time. I went there for Celtic game and it's a short walk from the falls past some industrial estates and into the old spion kop. It skirts some loyalist areas but these were blocked off and not a sense of trouble. The biggest danger would be travelling up as buses may get bricked just after newry and maybe into Belfast
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 11:19pm
Plus it would relive the FAI of having the hassle of distributing so few tickets amongst fans even though it would hardly be a game that would suit the corporate sector.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Old Gill Old Gill wrote:

Cliftonville go to WP all the time. I went there for Celtic game and it's a short walk from the falls past some industrial estates and into the old spion kop. It skirts some loyalist areas but these were blocked off and not a sense of trouble. The biggest danger would be travelling up as buses may get bricked just after newry and maybe into Belfast

That is ok for an Irish League game when there are no capacity issues.  

Most of the stadium is sold on Campaign cards and the Kop is their singing section (although the whole ground sings at Internationals).  The IFA were in a bit of a ticket mess for Switzerland away and couldn't manager 1800 seats for away fans in Windsor which would have resolved their problem.  There is no way we'd get anything more than the minimum.

Away fans go in the small corner stand between the North Stand and East Stand (opposite end to the Kop).  They also sit at that end of the North Stand.  Now the small corner stand has  capacity of approx 400-500 max maybe less.  If we were to take tickets then this would be the easiest from a security perspective.  

I think the security issues and all the ticket woes for the sake of a few hundred tickets would probably result in home fans only.    
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 9:41am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Most of the stadium is sold on Campaign cards and the Kop is their singing section (although the whole ground sings at Internationals).  The IFA were in a bit of a ticket mess for Switzerland away and couldn't manager 1800 seats for away fans in Windsor which would have resolved their problem.  There is no way we'd get anything more than the minimum.

Away fans go in the small corner stand between the North Stand and East Stand (opposite end to the Kop).  They also sit at that end of the North Stand.  Now the small corner stand has  capacity of approx 400-500 max maybe less.  If we were to take tickets then this would be the easiest from a security perspective.  

I think the security issues and all the ticket woes for the sake of a few hundred tickets would probably result in home fans only.    

Unless the FAI agreed to it then surely UEFA wouldn't allow home fans only. If the IFA can't guarantee the security and safety of Ireland fans then the game would have to be moved.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Unless the FAI agreed to it then surely UEFA wouldn't allow home fans only. If the IFA can't guarantee the security and safety of Ireland fans then the game would have to be moved.

Of course the FAI would have to agree and the IFA then probably agree not to take any for Dublin.  

There is no way the games will be moved.  

If the FAI insist on an allocation then it will be sorted.  My point is that the FAI might be happy just to to agree to home fans only.  It would certainly remove a lot of headaches.  I'm only guessing though and could well be wrong.    
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 2:52pm
wonder will RTE get any of the rights to this? our could the next game we are able to watch on TV bar sky not be until 2019 :(
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 12:27am

Remember before the Oct double header of Moldova/Wales and we were hoping that Scotland would beat one team and then not beat another.
And we were hoping that the Denmark/Bosnia group would go one way, and hope that the Greece/Bosnia group would go another way.
All this to make sure we didn’t miss out on a playoff place.
Permutations City.
In our 3 team NL group we need to finish first or second to get a 2nd chance at qualification for Euro 2020.
So we will be opening new threads about possible opponents in the March 2020 NL 2nd chance playoffs, if we don’t qualify for Euro 2020 thru the straight forward qualification process.
Permutations City.
Think we’ll be up to 4 or 5 million posts quicker than we know.
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 6:51am
Originally posted by djhegzy djhegzy wrote:

wonder will RTE get any of the rights to this? our could the next game we are able to watch on TV bar sky not be until 2019 :(

If the games are competitive, which technically the nations league then They have to be free to air, so more then likely will be pick up by RTE
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 10:17am
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Remember before the Oct double header of Moldova/Wales and we were hoping that Scotland would beat one team and then not beat another.
And we were hoping that the Denmark/Bosnia group would go one way, and hope that the Greece/Bosnia group would go another way.
All this to make sure we didn’t miss out on a playoff place.
Permutations City.
In our 3 team NL group we need to finish first or second to get a 2nd chance at qualification for Euro 2020.
So we will be opening new threads about possible opponents in the March 2020 NL 2nd chance playoffs, if we don’t qualify for Euro 2020 thru the straight forward qualification process.
Permutations City.
Think we’ll be up to 4 or 5 million posts quicker than we know.

We will probably get a playoff worst case even if we finish 3rd.  Once 16 of the 24 qualifiers come from League A and League B then we should be OK.  1st would of course guarantee at least a playoff and 2nd would certainly be enough barring crazy results in the qualifiers.

Hopefully our qualification campaign will go well and we won't need to care about the playoffs.    
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 1:52pm
5 teams from League C and D finishing in the top two of the qualifiers proper really isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

6 teams who were third or fourth seeds finished top two in the 2018 qualifiers.

8 teams who third or fourth seeds finished top two in the 2016 qualifiers.

Now, they're not quite the same thing, but the possibility is there, regardless, that the worst sides in League B might not make the playoffs. And even then, the playoffs are a one in four shot, with a possible 90 minute game away from home at the end.

We need to be second seeds to minimise the chances of being in the playoffs (I mean by maximising the chances of qualifying directly), and we need to finish top two in the nations league to give us the best possible chance of being in the playoffs if it does come to it.

Finishing top two is absolutely vital.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 29 Nov 2017 at 1:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 126>
  Share Topic