Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Nations League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 126>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 7:33am
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

How would Czechs away in Prague in sunny September sound lads?

Wouldn't mind if they moved it to Ostrava tbf. Plenty of other nice cities in the Czech republic other than Prague.
Hummmm wonder if you can get there by train , not sure if that has been done before with Irish fans on mass Wink
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Sponsored Links

ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 9:14am

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

sounds like a ticket panic  !

We'd probably also have every Irish arsehole stag party over there on that weekend
All the more reason to hope that UEFA schedule that away game for the Thursday or the following Tuesday. Imagine it being on a Saturday or Sunday... Dead 
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 9:19am
Surely for the first edition of this tournament, all teams will take it seriously, and if the attendances don’t match then perhaps teams will move games to smaller grounds the next time this is played.

I can’t see any of the teams in our league not taking this seriously - we’re all fairly average teams who will want to increase our chances of qualifying.

The top teams probably won’t take it seriously though.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Surely for the first edition of this tournament, all teams will take it seriously, and if the attendances don’t match then perhaps teams will move games to smaller grounds the next time this is played.

I can’t see any of the teams in our league not taking this seriously - we’re all fairly average teams who will want to increase our chances of qualifying.

Not sure about this, they would still need to maintain their FIFA and UEFA rankings for future qualifying and tournament draws. Look at the way Holland lost out on a top seeding for the 2014 WC draw because they played a number of friendlies against Asian minnows earlier that year when they would have been better playing stronger teams.

Everyone else certainly will (or at least should) take it seriously as rankings are arguably even more important, especially to teams like us as we need to get the highest possible ranking before the Euro 2020 qualifiers draw with only the top 2 progressing from the regular qualifying groups (3rd place is no use any more).
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 9:58am
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Not sure about this, they would still need to maintain their FIFA and UEFA rankings for future qualifying and tournament draws. Look at the way Holland lost out on a top seeding for the 2014 WC draw because they played a number of friendlies against Asian minnows earlier that year when they would have been better playing stronger teams.

Everyone else certainly will (or at least should) take it seriously as rankings are arguably even more important, especially to teams like us as we need to get the highest possible ranking before the Euro 2020 qualifiers draw with only the top 2 progressing from the regular qualifying groups (3rd place is no use any more).

I suppose the first teams will be happy enough to play against each other, rather than be playing against poorer sides in friendlies.

While ranking is certainly important for the next campaign, I’d imagine that the lowest levels of commitment will come in League A.

What happens if for example Germany win the World Cup / Euros, but manage to get relegated into League B? Will their ranking / seeding still be as badly effected?
Reildogg View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reildogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 11:25am

We'd probably also have every Irish arsehole stag party over there on that weekend

All the more reason to hope that UEFA schedule that away game for the Thursday or the following Tuesday. Imagine it being on a Saturday or Sunday... Dead 

The benefits of it being a Saturday (for those employed) definitely outweigh the negatives. Saturday away trips are the bees knees (unless you're easily offended that is)
PanamaHat View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanamaHat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Reildogg Reildogg wrote:

The benefits of it being a Saturday (for those employed) definitely outweigh the negatives. Saturday away trips are the bees knees (unless you're easily offended that is)

If your not willing to use up ALL of your holidays to watch Ireland then why are you even posting here? It's this kind of 'weekend away to watch the boys in green' bandwagon that ends up ruining the away match experience for the REAL fans.

Edited by PanamaHat - 22 Nov 2017 at 11:33am
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 11:56am

Can't see there being any ticket panic for any of these games as most bandwagoners who tag along on big away days won't recognise the Nations League as competitive.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by PanamaHat PanamaHat wrote:

If your not willing to use up ALL of your holidays to watch Ireland then why are you even posting here? It's this kind of 'weekend away to watch the boys in green' bandwagon that ends up ruining the away match experience for the REAL fans.
Those of us who were in Vienna and Copenhagen (both Saturday matches) will identify with this...

Edited by ConorMac77 - 22 Nov 2017 at 12:04pm
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 12:05pm

That's my stag party for next year sorted, cheers lads. LOLClap
Reildogg View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reildogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 12:05pm

Those of us who were in Vienna and Copenhagen (both Saturday matches) will identify with this...

Thought each of those and Tbilisi were cracking trips - it's great to be in a city on a Saturday night when they place is alive! 
TBWRA View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBWRA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 12:05pm
Not very hard to avoid the clowns stay away from the main squares Irish bars ETC . , get the feeling some people are gluttons for punishment and go out of their way to be upset and offended 
"The Football Grounds of Europe" about Dalymount that :- "You walk down lanes you'd expect to find a backstreet mechanic only to stumble onto a national stadium steeped in tradition and history"
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 12:11pm

Thought each of those and Tbilisi were cracking trips - it's great to be in a city on a Saturday night when they place is alive! 
Not disputing that but unfortunately those weekend trips also seem to bring along more than our fair share of ar*eholes and event junkies than the midweek trips, more so in the past couple of years.  And Prague is usually overrun by stag parties anyway, so imagine adding on a load of event junkies on top of that, especially if it's in early September.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Wouldn't mind if they moved it to Ostrava tbf. Plenty of other nice cities in the Czech republic other than Prague.
Hummmm wonder if you can get there by train , not sure if that has been done before with Irish fans on mass Wink

Not sure 11am Sunday kick offs will be popular.

You won't get the fans travelling en masse to that.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 6:52pm

you sure write some guff, just saying like
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 7:04pm
Yeah, exactly.

I mean, heaven forbid you want to save some of your leave for other holidays. If every away game was a Saturday, it would be no disaster.

Anyway, on the seeding:

Pot 1: Austria, Wales, Russia, Slovakia

Not sure who I want here. Having never been to Russia, even given the risks, I would probably just about prefer it, especially if it was September. A few days in St Petersburg seeing the sights and then the same in Moscow would be grand. I would probably prefer it to another trip to Vienna or Cardiff, and although I've never been to Bratislava, it hasn't got great reviews. I'd probably rank them Russia, Slovakia, Austria, Wales. In football terms, I'd go with the same, although that's open to debate.

Pot 3: Northern Ireland, Denmark, Czech Republic, Turkey

Again, not sure who I want. Like most, I suppose we'd probably like to avoid Denmark. Games against the North would a f**king circus too, not to mention the hassle of getting tickets for the away game. 5% of 18,000 is only 900, and with only a small percentage of those going to Fans' Direct, it would be a total clusterf**k. The Czech Republic would be great although I've never been to Istanbul (properly) or Turkey, so it would be top from a travel perspective. I'd order them Turkey, Czech Republic, Denmark, Northern Ireland for travel, but in terms of football, I think I'd order them Turkey, Czech Republic, Northern Ireland, Denmark; if it wasn't the North, I'd have them higher, but those games would be vicious, and I reckon they'd have a great chance of beating us in Belfast and maybe taking a point in Dublin.
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 7:20pm
I've tried assessing the terms and conditions of this Nations league thing til my eyes glaze over but it stills makes little sense. If you have a team from all four tiers making this final play off, surely all the teams from the top league would already have qualified anyway and then most the second tier teams too. That would leave us only needing to maybe beat Northern ireland in the nations cup to alone potentially qualify us for a play off against Latvia or whoever to make the Euros. Saves this stupid best third place algorithm thing but it seems a pretty lame back door route to the finals, which I think are already too simple to qualify for as it is. 
Could easily work in our favour mind.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 7:29pm
I would say about 60-70 % of my holidays are based around Ireland away games.

The Saturday games do obvious reasons help in terms of having a good bit of Christmas time off
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 126>
  Share Topic