You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Nations League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 124125126
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 2:30pm
Forget 7/5...get on the minus one market Big smile

Edited by Fozz - 26 Aug 2020 at 2:30pm
Sponsored Links

Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 2:39pm
1-0 Ireland seems the value bet, no everything will change overnight after being a team that can’t score more than one for a decade
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

1-0 Ireland seems the value bet, no everything will change overnight after being a team that can’t score more than one for a decade

Thats a good shout, I'd take a 1-0 happily.

The extent of my expectation is that we try to play with a bit more positivity  on the ball and less of a route one team.

If we look to play more possession and work the ball forward and lose, id still think we'd look at the positives. As you said its not going to change overnight
flaghunter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flaghunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 8:39am
Quite a few people implying it would be good for us to get relegated to League C.

A big con nobody has mentioned is that another season in League B would see us in Pot 2,3 or 4 for Euro 2024 qualifier draw, while League C would see us in Pot 4 or 5.

In regards the below, it is debatable which league would give us a better chance of making a playoff through the NL;

Euro 2024:
We would probably have to win our League C group to make the playoffs. Although with 16 teams in each League now, we would possibly have to finish top 2 in League B to make the playoffs - last place would not make the playoff this time.

WC 2026:
If qualifying is treated the same, we would have to win our group, and be in the 2 highest ranked group winners that have not finished top 2 in qualifying groups. Possibly more likely from League C depending on strength of winners that season. Anyway this is 2 seasons away.
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 12:19pm
If we were to get relegated into C and then had a good NL campaign, started winning games, would that not give us ranking points and possibly move back up to pot 2 for the next euro or w.c draw?

The dark side.. And the light
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 12:08am
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

If we were to get relegated into C and then had a good NL campaign, started winning games, would that not give us ranking points and possibly move back up to pot 2 for the next euro or w.c draw?

You'd get less points for beating Kazhakstan than for beating Germany. 
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 4:26pm
Do we know when the draw for the next one is? Some time in December I think. 
Also when is the draw for 2024 euros? Will they happen before the NL starts in June?

In another group someone asked about us being in pot 4. We're currently 25th in uefa standings. What is the last place to be 3rd seeds? If it's 29th then maybe we might lucky enough to be still 3rd seeds. 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 4:37pm

Also when is the draw for 2024 euros? Will they happen before the NL starts in June?

In another group someone asked about us being in pot 4. We're currently 25th in uefa standings. What is the last place to be 3rd seeds? If it's 29th then maybe we might lucky enough to be still 3rd seeds. 

The format for deciding seeding for Euro 2024 qualifiers hasn't been decided yet, but if they stick to what they did for Euro 2020 it will be based on the rankings of the last nation's league I'd assume. So we'd be third seeds, or the overall ranking of next year's nations league.

Edited by J89 - 06 Sep 2021 at 4:38pm
Yoco Santos View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Yoco Santos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 4:41pm
Copied my post from the other thread. 

Not sure on draw dates.

The top 30 teams in the Nations League will fill the first three seeding pots for Euro 2024. We would have to finish as one of the two worst fourth placed teams to drop down into Pot 4 seedings for Euro 2024.

Our group will consist of the below:

One from Ukraine / Sweden / Bosnia / Iceland
One from Finland / Norway / Scotland / Russia *Ukraine/Russia can't be in the same group.
Ireland (Israel / Romania / Serbia make up the other teams in our pot)
One from Slovenia / Montenegro / Albania / Armenia

Also not sure if Serbia can play Albania anymore after the flag/drone incident.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

The format for deciding seeding for Euro 2024 qualifiers hasn't been decided yet, but if they stick to what they did for Euro 2020 it will be based on the rankings of the last nation's league I'd assume. So we'd be third seeds, or the overall ranking of next year's nations league.

Am I right in thinking we still haven't won a Nations League game? I think we've only scored 1 goal in 10 NL games. 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 4:46pm

Should be in December yeah.

Draw for Euro 2024 wont be until after the Nations League, so at the least next October. But they might wait until after the World Cup and do it in December.

As for Pots, up to 30th in the UEFA rankings will edge you into Pot 3.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Am I right in thinking we still haven't won a Nations League game? I think we've only scored 1 goal in 10 NL games. 

Close, we've scored two goals in 10 games but yeah we still haven't won a game.

Drawn five, lost five, scored two and conceded nine.

Edited by J89 - 06 Sep 2021 at 4:49pm
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 5:08pm
So we're in 25th position 
26 Greece
27 Scotland 
28 NI
29 Iceland 
30 Finland 

Good drop in points to 31st place Bosnia. 
32 Slovenia
33 Montenegro

Think after the World cup in December to have the draw would be too close to the campaign starting in March. Usually about 6 months to prepare so maybe it will be after the NL has finished. 
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Yoco Santos Yoco Santos wrote:

Copied my post from the other thread. 

Not sure on draw dates.

The top 30 teams in the Nations League will fill the first three seeding pots for Euro 2024. We would have to finish as one of the two worst fourth placed teams to drop down into Pot 4 seedings for Euro 2024.

Our group will consist of the below:

One from Ukraine / Sweden / Bosnia / Iceland
One from Finland / Norway / Scotland / Russia *Ukraine/Russia can't be in the same group.
Ireland (Israel / Romania / Serbia make up the other teams in our pot)
One from Slovenia / Montenegro / Albania / Armenia

Also not sure if Serbia can play Albania anymore after the flag/drone incident.

I think Serbia can still play Albania.

Germany qualify as host so slight correction top 31 will fill 3 seedings pots.

It is generally thought there will be ten group with top 2 to qualify and 3 Nations League playoff places (can they give a place to league D?).  However as you say I don't think it is decided.      
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 124125126
  Share Topic