You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Nations League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121122123124125 126>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

As a comparison, here's Mick's last squad for the NZ and Denmark games last Nov:

Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough), Kieran O’Hara (Burton Albion, on loan from Manchester United), Mark Travers (AFC Bournemouth).

Defenders: Matt Doherty (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Shane Duffy (Brighton and Hove Albion), Kevin Long (Burnley), John Egan (Sheffield United), Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United), Enda Stevens (Aston Villa), Derrick Williams (Blackburn Rovers), Lee O’Connor (Celtic).

Midfielders: Alan Browne (Preston North End), Josh Cullen (Charlton Athletic, on loan from West Ham United), Jeff Hendrick (Burnley), Callum O’Dowda (Bristol City), Glenn Whelan (Heart of Midlothian), Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), James McClean (Stoke City), Jack Byrne (Shamrock Rovers), Robbie Brady (Burnley)

Forwards: Callum Robinson (Sheffield United), Troy Parrott (Tottenham Hotspur), Aaron Connolly (Brighton and Hove Albion), David McGoldrick (Sheffield United), James Collins (Luton Town), Scott Hogan (Stoke City, on loan from Aston Villa), Sean Maguire (Preston North End), Alan Judge (Ipswich Town)

So who do we remove and replace with?

Keepers seem grand.

Is Clarke fit? Hope so.
Williams and O'Connor can be replaced with Coleman and O'Shea.

In the middle, McCarthy in for Whelan.
I'd drop O'Dowda for Mulumby.
Brady is an interesting one that SK has name-dropped....surely on form Knight has to be in there?
Personally I'd like to see Smallbone in here instead of who tho...  Hourihane or Browne maybe?

Up front is where we have, oddly for Ireland, the most options for change.
Troy in the 21's for me.  This might change by Oct if he gets a fast start in the league.
I'd have Connolly, McG, Long, Obafemi in anyway.
Collins, Hogan, Maguire and Judgey need to do more to be in here.
With that in mind, I'd put Idah in.  SK knows him well, trusts him and we have seen glimpses of what he can bring.

Note I wasn't trying to swap players with like players, just filling squad spots.  Anyone not mentioned from Mick's list is still in for me (So Byrne in!).

Come on Stephen...announce the squad!

EDIT - I see Mick has 27 names...so assume we need to be limited to 23 for the upcoming matches?

Bang I reckon their will be 7 new or fresh faces in what will likely be a 25-30 man squad. The 3 flat out new faces will be
O’Shea 
Molumby 
Manning

Connolly Obafemi Travers and one relatively new midfeilder also make it they have been in past squads but are still new/fresh faces. It would be Cullen for now but if Smallbone is playing regularly and playing well for Southampton (hes been very good in the games he’s started) it would be hard not to pick him as he looks creative would suit Kenny to a tee. 

The attack and midfield really has potential for a sea of change in the next year though Idah Parrott Knight Smallbone even the likes of Ronan Ogbene Cassidy etc could be in contention if they are ripping it up just by the fact our roster of attackers and midfielders is so threadbare even allowing for McCarthy Long and Brady coming back in.
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 2:07pm
Sorry but how on earth would Ryan Cassidy be in contention, he has not played 1 single game at senior level.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

whelan can still do a job. 

f**k off 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Sorry but how on earth would Ryan Cassidy be in contention, he has not played 1 single game at senior level.

On loan at Accrington Stanley for the year has loads of potential if he goes and bangs in 20-25 goals a season at that level hel be in contention for a squad place maybe optimistic but its hardly a million to one either. it’s only League 1 but Curtis and Judge were playing don’t mind getting into squads and they not achieving anywhere near that Collins started for us and he a bottom 6 Championship/League 1 player at best. With our roster of attackers or lack of them a young player like that is a season of ripping it up from being in contention even at League 1 level not a wild assertion and that would apply to other young attackers too the likes of Anthony Scully 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 3:58pm
He's gone from not playing a single game to banging in 20-25 goals a season.

Not too many players score 20 goals in L1.

You might want to lower your expectations a smidge.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 4:10pm

How many Irish players have scored 20-25 goals in a single season in the last 5 years?
El Puto Amo
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He's gone from not playing a single game to banging in 20-25 goals a season.

Not too many players score 20 goals in L1.

You might want to lower your expectations a smidge.

Well he is a striker isn’t he very highly rated will I say 15 goals so. of course it’s far more than likely he won’t but I’m saying the likes of him and Scully and of course Idah and Parrott are a season of ripping it up away from being more than likely in the squad the latter 2 at Championship level would be borderline certainties to be in the Ireland squad if really impressing. Hardly a stretch to say that with the lack of midfield and attacking depth in particular a lot of the talented lads 21 and under are a real good season like Molumby O’Shea and Connolly etc had from being in strong contention for an Irish squad. That was my general point I could have named 10 other young fellas just happened to name Cassidy.   
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 12:12pm
OK look, kenny is taking too long so I'm going to pick the starting line up myself.

Randolph 

Doherty    Long    Egan    Stevens 

Mccarthy Molumby Cullen 

Long Mcgoldrick Connolly 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 12:32pm

OK look, kenny is taking too long so I'm going to pick the starting line up myself.

Randolph 

Mccarthy Molumby Cullen 

Long Mcgoldrick Connolly 

Don’t hate it
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 12:46pm
I don’t think things will change much in terms of personnel, but hopefully we’ll get more out of them.

Doherty on right side on CM: I don’t know why, but I think Kenny has a role in mind for him. He’s alluded to a midfield role in the past, while also being clear that he sees Coleman as our starting RB

Randolph
 Coleman Duffy Egan Stevens

Doherty McCarthy Hendrick

Robinson McGoldrick Connolly
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 12:56pm
Yeah, I can definitely see Duffy, Coleman and Hendrick starting. Question marks over Robinson as I think he's been average at best, he was much better last season. 

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 1:14pm

Randolph 

Mccarthy Molumby Cullen 

Long Mcgoldrick Connolly 

I'm not sure why he'd opt for Long over Duffy. He's no better (in fact probably even more limited) on the ball, and defensively they're both good but I wouldn't say he outstrips Duffy on that front either. Maybe the only clear area of advantage Long has is that he's faster.
We're decent enough..
engpad View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote engpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 2:59pm
Could see Darragh Lenihan being part of the squad. 

Keith Andrews is a big fan of him.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by engpad engpad wrote:

Could see Darragh Lenihan being part of the squad. 

Keith Andrews is a big fan of him.

With Clark out injured for sure. I would have doubts about him in an out and out ball playing side though would the lad struggle a touch for all he’s a savage defender.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 3:42pm
Bit of a selection headache with the goalkeepers it seems, I thimk Randolph will keep his place for the short term but hes unlikely to see first team football for a while now.

Any thoughts on the next keeper to come in for the number 1 Jersey?

A few players as contenders but no one playing regularly at club level 

Travers, Kelleher, ohara?
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 4:05pm

Bit of a selection headache with the goalkeepers it seems, I thimk Randolph will keep his place for the short term but hes unlikely to see first team football for a while now.

Any thoughts on the next keeper to come in for the number 1 Jersey?

A few players as contenders but no one playing regularly at club level 

Travers, Kelleher, ohara?

Ramsdale moving which will happen (if not Sheffield then there’s always clubs looking for keepers and he’s young and English) is important Travers will play for them then and get rolling. O’Hara might get a Championship move too as well we need them playing Championship football at least if Randolph gets injured it’s hard to find one that isn’t a kid/only playing League 1 so far. Is Westwood still available for selection?
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 4:06pm
Travers must have a great chance of regular Championship football next season with Ramsdale going to Sheffield United. O'Hara should also get a club at that level, Kelleher needs a loan but I have heard no info about one. No immediate threat to Randolph but he will lack match sharpness as a bench warmer at West Ham. Travers may emerge as a contender more quickly than the others.
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 1:04pm

Randolph 

Mccarthy Molumby Cullen 

Long Mcgoldrick Connolly 

Doherty as a wing back =😎
Doherty as a full back =😳

“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121122123124125 126>
  Share Topic