Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Nations League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 118119120121122 126>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 9:28am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

is there really a much greater risk than 6 at a table, tables  2 m apart being served in a bar by waitress service  ?

Yes.

so by Sept we will be able to stay in a hotel , go to a bar , go to a restaurent but not stand in an open air venue 2 metre apart  ?- sorry it doesn't make really sense

Edited by Newryrep - 14 May 2020 at 9:37am
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 9:43am

is there really a much greater risk than 6 at a table, tables  2 m apart being served in a bar by waitress service  ?

Yes.

so by Sept we will be able to stay in a hotel , go to a bar , go to a restaurent but not stand in an open air venue 2 metre apart  ?- sorry it doesn't make really sense
Because keeping people 2 metres apart at a football ground is nearly impossible. You would need a steward for every two people. Then there is the logistics of getting to the stadium. Fifteen thousand people aren't going to head to the Holiday Inn together. There is certainly debate about whether bars, hotels and the rest should be opening, but there is absolutely none regarding sporting venues. 
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 10:06am

Yes.

Because keeping people 2 metres apart at a football ground is nearly impossible. You would need a steward for every two people. Then there is the logistics of getting to the stadium. Fifteen thousand people aren't going to head to the Holiday Inn together. There is certainly debate about whether bars, hotels and the rest should be opening, but there is absolutely none regarding sporting venues. 

No its not and it would need to be self policed

See above

People will be using public transport 5 days a week to get to work - is this really any different , Airport reopening etc

there is only so much that can be done  - there are secondary factors at play not least all the other diagnoses that are getting missed - people are not going to self isolate until/if there is a vaccine
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 10:30am

Yes.

No its not and it would need to be self policed

See above

People will be using public transport 5 days a week to get to work - is this really any different , Airport reopening etc

there is only so much that can be done  - there are secondary factors at play not least all the other diagnoses that are getting missed - people are not going to self isolate until/if there is a vaccine

You also seem to be forgetting that it will be a logistic nightmare for FAI ticket staff too, I know it's not the biggest thing but they'd need to reassign a lot of people to different seats. 

I sit in the East Stand and in my area I'm surrounded by people with Season Tickets, I'd also imagine many of the other stands would be similar. The signing section for example is mostly season tickets

How fair in a sense would it be for example if people were moved from the South Stand to say the West. There is a difference in price there, Would they be charged extra for that? if not, is that fair to people who paid extra for those seats as per their ST.

Edited by lassassinblanc - 14 May 2020 at 10:31am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 10:30am
Self-policed when a last minute winner goes in?LOL 
The arguments against all those things opening up, as well as for them,they would argue necessary economic risk, are valid; however, these are largely irrelevant here as no  sensible government is going to sanction fifteen thousand people going to one place for a football match or any other form of recreation or entertainment. 
That's before UEFA or FIFA get involved and possibly even the FAI themselves. I can't imagine there is anything in it, other than losses, for them to risk regular supporters health to open up a fifty thousand seater stadium for less than a third of it to come in. I would imagine they are better off playing it in front of nobody at all.

Outside of all of that, I can't for the life of me understand why you would want to go! I know people can get in my tits, certainly as individuals, but the great thing about live sport, especially football, is the shared passion and being part of a crowd. Not part of a crowd keeping two metres away and avoiding each other, even if that is what those running the game would prefer.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/ireland-fans-face-long-wait-to-see-kennys-side-as-uefa-expect-autumn-fixtures-to-go-ahead-behind-closed-doors-39202354.html
Not surprised if those games are played BCD.

Looks like I might as well go ahead and cancel the hotel accommodation I had booked on free cancellation? Thank fook I didn't book any flights so at least I'm not losing any money. I feel sorry for anyone who already did book flights before this C19 sh*tstorm broke out. Cry

Surely say season ticket holders circa 15k could be accomdated in 50000 seater Aviva given that there will  be no away fans - obviously it would have to be spread out over all stands and all tiers  rows and not all sth will travel - worth considering maybe  surely given the state of where things will be in sept/Oct 

As posted above, football is dead until either it’s run out of town or a vaccine is approved. UEFA can talk and meet all they like with the member associations and they’d be negligent if they didn’t. In any case, there’d be a better atmosphere in a pub than Lansdowne with 15k - and we’ve seen that many times down the years

If games are played behind closed doors - wouldn't it be more financially prudent to play the game at a tiny venue? And if there are no spectators then the stadia requirements wouldn't apply either? Might get it played in the Alsa Grounds. 

The cost of a game in Lansdowne must be very expensive

I was going on the presumption they’re still contractually obliged to play all their home games in the ‘Aviva’
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 10:54am

The arguments against all those things opening up, as well as for them,they would argue necessary economic risk, are valid; however, these are largely irrelevant here as no  sensible government is going to sanction fifteen thousand people going to one place for a football match or any other form of recreation or entertainment. 
That's before UEFA or FIFA get involved and possibly even the FAI themselves. I can't imagine there is anything in it, other than losses, for them to risk regular supporters health to open up a fifty thousand seater stadium for less than a third of it to come in. I would imagine they are better off playing it in front of nobody at all.

Outside of all of that, I can't for the life of me understand why you would want to go! I know people can get in my tits, certainly as individuals, but the great thing about live sport, especially football, is the shared passion and being part of a crowd. Not part of a crowd keeping two metres away and avoiding each other, even if that is what those running the game would prefer.

granted its not ideal and the FAI are probably planning for behind closed doors, the cost benefit would need to be done but even before Covid the FAI are skint and can ill afford behind closed doors games

It will get to the stage that people  have had enough self isolating ? how long before you get to see your mother/grandkids etc it cant go on indefinitely

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

You also seem to be forgetting that it will be a logistic nightmare for FAI ticket staff too, I know it's not the biggest thing but they'd need to reassign a lot of people to different seats. 

In unprecedented times there are unprecedented measures  - forget about reassigning  - open up the whole ground - and find a space

just a thought anyway
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 11:00am

We’re you not the same fella who was in the pubs right up until the strict lockdown was enforced in England? Your laughing at self policing at a game but as Newryrep was pointed out 6 at a table in a bar is what I would believe to be worse than social distancing in a stadium. Circa 15k season ticket holders, the attendance for the Bulgaria and New Zealand friendlies probably weren’t much bigger than than and you could nearly pick which empty row that you wanted to stand in.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 11:03am

granted its not ideal and the FAI are probably planning for behind closed doors, the cost benefit would need to be done but even before Covid the FAI are skint and can ill afford behind closed doors games

It will get to the stage that people  have had enough self isolating ? how long before you get to see your mother/grandkids etc it cant go on indefinitely

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

In unprecedented times there are unprecedented measures  - forget about reassigning  - open up the whole ground - and find a space

just a thought anyway

1st point- I'd imagine insurance would not cover any lawsuits brought up if someone became ill after attending, of course there would be no way to prove it but it would most likely be settled out of court  but as you say FAI probably wouldn't want the negative press it would bring.

2nd point- You could of course but you seem to forget Seat Nazis, also again as PM alluded to that would just open up the possiblity of an area being too crowded and having to be policed.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 11:06am
What's the break even point at Lansdowne? How many tickets at x? Given that all of these will be season ticket holders and more stewards will be needed, regardless of how well people can self-police, how could they possibly make money? It would cost them a lot more, I would imagine. Adding in Lassie's point and it makes it even more complicated. A logistical nightmare that would cost them money.

Personally, I hope I never see my mother, but even if I did would I want to be responsible for getting her ill or causing the death of another elderly relative? Are we all that selfish now? We probably are, but I would rather people didn't die than have a cup of tea with them.
I do get the argument that the prevention becomes worse than the cure, it is difficult, but in the UK there hasn't really been a proper lockdown and it has only been a couple of months. 
wicklowrunner View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wicklowrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 11:12am

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/ireland-fans-face-long-wait-to-see-kennys-side-as-uefa-expect-autumn-fixtures-to-go-ahead-behind-closed-doors-39202354.html

Looks like I might as well go ahead and cancel the hotel accommodation I had booked on free cancellation? Thank fook I didn't book any flights so at least I'm not losing any money. I feel sorry for anyone who already did book flights before this C19 sh*tstorm broke out. Cry

Surely say season ticket holders circa 15k could be accomdated in 50000 seater Aviva given that there will  be no away fans - obviously it would have to be spread out over all stands and all tiers  rows and not all sth will travel - worth considering maybe  surely given the state of where things will be in sept/Oct 

I'd consider it to be honest, better than nothing at the moment.

Can't keep this up until a vaccine because there might not be one who knows. Going to have to be compromise eventually somewhere 

You have consistently stated we can’t wait for a vaccine.. but we can. 

I also can’t imagine it makes much financial sense to host a social distancing attended match. 15k would in normal circumstances I doubt do much more than break even but when you add on The additional measures/staffing needed to monitor social distancing/sanitation in the turnstiles/food and drink stalls/jacks etc. for such a match it will only add to the cost and nearly sure make a loss. 

I’m sure there are many people on this forum that are better with figures than me but the numbers don’t add up!

Not to mention if they played their 1st match in front of 15k - surely that’d be solely for season tickets who are due a couple of games.. so it would be a complete cash outflow

I do know that Croke Park has to sell 26,000 ticket before it breaks even on a normal day.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 11:13am
Those ****s probably charge you in blood though.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 11:16am
Originally posted by wicklowrunner wicklowrunner wrote:

Can't keep this up until a vaccine because there might not be one who knows. Going to have to be compromise eventually somewhere 

I also can’t imagine it makes much financial sense to host a social distancing attended match. 15k would in normal circumstances I doubt do much more than break even but when you add on The additional measures/staffing needed to monitor social distancing/sanitation in the turnstiles/food and drink stalls/jacks etc. for such a match it will only add to the cost and nearly sure make a loss. 

I’m sure there are many people on this forum that are better with figures than me but the numbers don’t add up!

Not to mention if they played their 1st match in front of 15k - surely that’d be solely for season tickets who are due a couple of games.. so it would be a complete cash outflow

I do know that Croke Park has to sell 26,000 ticket before it breaks even on a normal day.
Ah that's only a made up number. Shure if the tickets are €40 or €20 would have a huge impact on the break even point.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by wicklowrunner wicklowrunner wrote:

Ah that's only a made up number. Shure if the tickets are €40 or €20 would have a huge impact on the break even point.
Croke Park break even at  less than 10,000 not 26,000

Edited by Donegalman - 14 May 2020 at 11:24am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 11:24am
At how much a ticket? Both factors are equally important. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 11:27am

At how much a ticket? Both factors are equally important. 
It costs between €40,000 to €120,000 to open Croke Park. I’d say 40,000 to have one stand open, right up to the whole stadium for €120,000.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 11:31am
Right, so let's go with 40k to open up Lansdowne; how many season tickets is there at the moment? 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 11:43am

Right, so let's go with 40k to open up Lansdowne; how many season tickets is there at the moment? 
I said earlier around 15k or which is possibly an over estimate closer to 13k at this stage I’d say it was 16k after Euro 2016.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 118119120121122 126>
  Share Topic