Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Nations League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 120121122123124 126>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 7:05pm
I'd say next week none of the leagues for the majority of the players in involved in are back until after the Intnl window so no reason for SK not to name it any later 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 7:22pm
Yeah but they were the extended squads named that far out and I think I heard that we won't be naming extended squads, just the final 23 or whatever.
I'd not expect an announcement for a week or two anyway.

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 8:07pm
I'd expect an announcement by this day next week. I don't see what Kenny has to gain by waiting longer. 

Barring Jack Byrne, there's nobody who has the opportunity to play themselves in or out of the squad. 

Also, I don't get the impression Kenny is going to be waiting around until the squad meet up before he starts getting into the nitty gritty with them. I expect zoom calls with players, etc to at least sow the seed and get across more in depth ideas to what will be his chosen squad.
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 10:50pm
Get Smallbone into the squad 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Get Smallbone into the squad 

McCarthy, Hendrick, Hourihane, Cullen, Browne, Molumby, Knight

He has no divine right to get fast-tracked into a squad on the back of 4 Premier League starts when you consider the 7 players I've mentioned who've all played a minimum of 30 games either at PL level or for teams in and around the playoffs.

I know people don't want another Grealish or Rice saga, and it's understandable, but Kenny has already said Smallbone will link up with the U21's first, and we have no idea about how the two parties came to that arrangement...
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 11:26pm
I actually dont rate Browne. Im happy to be proven wrong but everytime ive seen him.play for us or Preston i dont really see anything from him. Just an opinion.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

I actually dont rate Browne. Im happy to be proven wrong but everytime ive seen him.play for us or Preston i dont really see anything from him. Just an opinion.

He's played at least 3 different positions at varying points this season, never really nailing down any one as far as I can tell. He's obviously an important player for Alex Neil but his versatility may be a hindrance in a weird way. I was personally disappointed he didn't build on his goalscoring form from the 18/19 season.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 11:42pm
Well id defo replace him with Byrne in your list above.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 12:08am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Well id defo replace him with Byrne in your list above.

Byrne definitely getting called up.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 7:38am
Byrne ahead of Smallbone? Both play in that link from midfield to striker role but I think I'd have Smallbone ahead of him as hes starting premier league games for a good Southampton side of late and looks to have the brighter future.

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 7:55am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Byrne ahead of Smallbone? Both play in that link from midfield to striker role but I think I'd have Smallbone ahead of him as hes starting premier league games for a good Southampton side of late and looks to have the brighter future.

Byrne will be picked. Put your house on it. 

There will be 2 number 10's in the squad. Hourihane and Byrne. Can both play the role, while at the same time not being carbon copies of each other.

Conor Ronan/Daniel Mandriou was Kenny's picks as number 10's at under 21's. So a similar type of selection.

Hourihane won't be playing in the middle of the park. Distinct lack of energy for that role. Other midfield slots will be made up of likes of Hendrick, McCarthy, Cullen, Molumby, Browne, Knight.

Smallbone may possibly make the squad but not at the expense of Hourihane/Byrne.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 8:53am
I would think that the nailed down players would be -

Randolph 
Coleman
Doherty
Egan 
Stevens 
Duffy
Mcclean 
Mccarthy
McGoldrick 
Connolly 
Hendrick
Hourihane 

Which leaves 11 places open but with very likely candidates being 

Oshea 
Molumby
Cullen
Knight
Long 
Manning
Obafemi
Browne 
Travers?

Leaving 2 outside chance players from

Smallbone 
Byrne
Robinson
Masterson
Arter 
Christie

Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

if Jack Byrne was a decent footballer he wouldn't be playing LOI. How could anyone consider picking him over a premier league player is beyond me. Confused
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 10:24am
Anybody who thinks Browne won't be in the squad needs their head examined, He is just after finishing his first competitive qualifying campaign after being trusted by Mick McCarthy to do a job for us, now I know he didn't set the world on fire but I'm sure he has learned from it. Also at 25 his best years are still ahead of him. Wouldn't care what happens at Preston an awful team to watch and with Alex Neil playing players out of position like Brownie at full back and lumping high balls up to seanie Maguire it's no wonder these players have underachieved at club level. Not saying Brownie should start for us but 100% should be in the squad. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 11:41am
As a comparison, here's Mick's last squad for the NZ and Denmark games last Nov:

Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough), Kieran O’Hara (Burton Albion, on loan from Manchester United), Mark Travers (AFC Bournemouth).

Defenders: Matt Doherty (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Shane Duffy (Brighton and Hove Albion), Kevin Long (Burnley), John Egan (Sheffield United), Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United), Enda Stevens (Aston Villa), Derrick Williams (Blackburn Rovers), Lee O’Connor (Celtic).

Midfielders: Alan Browne (Preston North End), Josh Cullen (Charlton Athletic, on loan from West Ham United), Jeff Hendrick (Burnley), Callum O’Dowda (Bristol City), Glenn Whelan (Heart of Midlothian), Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), James McClean (Stoke City), Jack Byrne (Shamrock Rovers), Robbie Brady (Burnley)

Forwards: Callum Robinson (Sheffield United), Troy Parrott (Tottenham Hotspur), Aaron Connolly (Brighton and Hove Albion), David McGoldrick (Sheffield United), James Collins (Luton Town), Scott Hogan (Stoke City, on loan from Aston Villa), Sean Maguire (Preston North End), Alan Judge (Ipswich Town)

So who do we remove and replace with?

Keepers seem grand.

Is Clarke fit? Hope so.
Williams and O'Connor can be replaced with Coleman and O'Shea.

In the middle, McCarthy in for Whelan.
I'd drop O'Dowda for Mulumby.
Brady is an interesting one that SK has name-dropped....surely on form Knight has to be in there?
Personally I'd like to see Smallbone in here instead of who tho...  Hourihane or Browne maybe?

Up front is where we have, oddly for Ireland, the most options for change.
Troy in the 21's for me.  This might change by Oct if he gets a fast start in the league.
I'd have Connolly, McG, Long, Obafemi in anyway.
Collins, Hogan, Maguire and Judgey need to do more to be in here.
With that in mind, I'd put Idah in.  SK knows him well, trusts him and we have seen glimpses of what he can bring.

Note I wasn't trying to swap players with like players, just filling squad spots.  Anyone not mentioned from Mick's list is still in for me (So Byrne in!).

Come on Stephen...announce the squad!

EDIT - I see Mick has 27 names...so assume we need to be limited to 23 for the upcoming matches?

Edited by Fozz - 14 Aug 2020 at 11:44am
Adobolo View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adobolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 12:05pm
Manning has a shout to he included. The only new players I see been included this time around are molumby, oshea and manning. I know Obefimi was in the squad before but I don't see Kenny picking him. He only had him in one one u21 squad and even then used him sparingly. We really won't know a whole lot till they all report back for preseason with their clubs and we find out who's fit or not. 
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 12:35pm
Hogan ,Collins,Judge,Whelan and Williams should be dropped from Ireland squads going forward with preference for the young lads
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 12:51pm
whelan can still do a job. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 120121122123124 126>
  Share Topic