You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Nations League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 114115116117118 126>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Booking all the trips early has not worked out it seems Cry

2 things on that, I'd usually book early, and I would say probably 9 times out of 10, it works. This is one of the times it clearly didn't. LOLLOL

The other thing is that even though the next games are all a long way away, global flight schedules will change as a result of this, there will be airlines going bust, there will be routes (say, to countries that take longer to recover) no longer viable, or have reduced frequencies. 

Just because you have a flight to Bulgaria or Finland booked now, and yer thinking we will be going to Slovakia instead so the booked flights are useless, you might still get a refund on them if the schedule changes, or the route is flown less frequently when the airlines do return, or maybe the route won't have been reinstated due to whatever is going on in one of those countries. 

All a bit of a waiting game really, but wouldn't write off anything in terms of refunds/cancellations just yet. 

Yes I would imagine the knock on effect when some kind of normality resumes will result in a fair few changes to schedules Europe wide, a long oul waiting game but sure 3world cups might learn something from this LOL first up is not always best dressed LOL
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Sponsored Links

VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 5:15pm
the UEFA press release makes no mention of the NL so I don’t think it’s been scrapped yet. In fact I think they hope to get the playoff played in June to save the NL.

I can’t see it working out that well but don’t think it’s official yet?

Edited by VanBosch - 17 Mar 2020 at 5:15pm
foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 5:31pm
In UEFA's ideal world, the playoffs would be played in June and then the euros being in 2021 with no disruption to the NL.  Whether that happens or not is anyone's guess though
williemc83 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williemc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

the UEFA press release makes no mention of the NL so I don’t think it’s been scrapped yet. In fact I think they hope to get the playoff played in June to save the NL.

Yeah, this is what I took away. People seem to be assuming it will be scrapped/ deprioritised and it's a reasonable assumption but nothing official.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Booking all the trips early has not worked out it seems Cry

2 things on that, I'd usually book early, and I would say probably 9 times out of 10, it works. This is one of the times it clearly didn't. LOLLOL

The other thing is that even though the next games are all a long way away, global flight schedules will change as a result of this, there will be airlines going bust, there will be routes (say, to countries that take longer to recover) no longer viable, or have reduced frequencies. 

Just because you have a flight to Bulgaria or Finland booked now, and yer thinking we will be going to Slovakia instead so the booked flights are useless, you might still get a refund on them if the schedule changes, or the route is flown less frequently when the airlines do return, or maybe the route won't have been reinstated due to whatever is going on in one of those countries. 

All a bit of a waiting game really, but wouldn't write off anything in terms of refunds/cancellations just yet. 

Yep not sure what to say just have to sit and wait and see what happens .
Yep win some and lose some that's for sure . 

Edited by Claret Murph - 17 Mar 2020 at 7:51pm
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by williemc83 williemc83 wrote:

Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

Yeah, this is what I took away. People seem to be assuming it will be scrapped/ deprioritised and it's a reasonable assumption but nothing official.

Uefa will not want to disrupt the guts of 240 games for a few play off games woukd be my guess hope 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 9:02am

I would be surprised if the playoffs happen in June.  An August International break will not be a runner with the clubs.

Been discussing on twitter.  Another possible option Tue in September is to play a 3rd game in the September and October International breaks.  

We did it in 1999 because of the war in the former Yugoslavia.  It would probably mean playing Wed Sat Tue in September and moving the October games as well.  
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 7:27pm
Assuming the 2020 playoffs don't go ahead in June when would UEFA be more likely to make a potential postponement decision on the Nations League, would it be announced by June or could it be a late call in August? 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Assuming the 2020 playoffs don't go ahead in June when would UEFA be more likely to make a potential postponement decision on the Nations League, would it be announced by June or could it be a late call in August? 

Something a good few are missing in all this is that it is unlikely that all countries will recover at the same rate due to any amount of variables, just to name a few-  the capability of health service, population, effectiveness of measures like social distancing, government measures on border closures, ban on mass gatherings etc etc. 

There isn't going to be some pan-European date that everything just goes back to whatever normal will be from there on in. UEFA can announce whatever they like, at any stage, but that doesn't mean it will actually happen. 

Just for argument's sake our group in September. The Finns are good to go, all restrictions lifted and very few cases, they have a handle on it. Bulgarians say game can go ahead, but only the Irish plane allowed into their country is the one containing the players and officials, game will be behind closed doors.  We are over the worst of it, but mass gatherings are set at 1000 people for another few months on HSE advice.  The virus is still near peak levels in Wales, they are unable to fulfill any fixture for the foreseeable. 

What happens then ?? 

And by the way, something like that is probably more realistic than expecting all European football to return by, say the 19th of August or whatever other random date anyone including UEFA comes up with. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 10:02am
Cheers Deise. 

Seeing as different countries could be at different stages, then UEFA could hardly let some group games go ahead but not others. It would nearly have to be all or nothing.

I suppose the most sensible albeit highly costly route to take would be to just suspend the NL until the 2022-2023 season (none next year due to WC) or would that be too difficult to implement given there's potential WC places through it. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 4:00pm
i would say if they cancelled the nations league they would easily pick two more teams from WC qualifying to fill the quota...
Come on Irelind
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by mandrake mandrake wrote:

i would say if they cancelled the nations league they would easily pick two more teams from WC qualifying to fill the quota...

They could just go back to the old format of 9 groups. 9 winners qualify directly and 8 best runners up enter a playoff 
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 2:36pm
Hard to see the nations league being on now with UEFA moving the playoffs to September.

Unless we get put into a smaller group with other playoff teams if that's even possible?
Fanny MaGee View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fanny MaGee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Hard to see the nations league being on now with UEFA moving the playoffs to September.

Unless we get put into a smaller group with other playoff teams if that's even possible?

Where did you hear that the play offs will be in September?
Ask MaGee
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Fanny MaGee Fanny MaGee wrote:

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Doesn't say anything about September
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 3:39pm
Couldn't they just put all 4 countries (us, NI, Slovakia & Bosnia) in the same group and use it both for Euro 2021 and World Cup 2022 qualifying ?
Have the first round of games to be both for SemiFinal and WC qualifier
Then fix the second round of games to be the final and the other 2 teams can play a WC qualifier

wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 3:46pm

Various reports on twitter, one that said UEFA would likely just announce a postponement now and then announce the new dates, expected to be September, later during the summer if that's possible with everything going on and that they've to now sit down and see what to do with the nations league.

Irish media reported yesterday September most likely with october an option if needed 

Edited by wanderer - 01 Apr 2020 at 3:50pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 114115116117118 126>
  Share Topic