You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Nations League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 113114115116117 126>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 9:28pm
Cheers lads 
Sponsored Links

Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

Wales again isnt ideal from a travel view, but i think that draw is pretty good to us. Think topping the group will make us 2nd seeds for the World Cup draw. 
Is it not based on FIFA World rankings (which will have been updated after November matches) seeing as its for World Cup qualifying? 

it is

so if we top the group we should have won enough games to rise us up the rankings
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 9:29am
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

Wales again isnt ideal from a travel view, but i think that draw is pretty good to us. Think topping the group will make us 2nd seeds for the World Cup draw. 
Is it not based on FIFA World rankings (which will have been updated after November matches) seeing as its for World Cup qualifying? 

it is

so if we top the group we should have won enough games to rise us up the rankings

It isn't as simple as that but probably.  

We need to be in Europe's top twenty in the FIFA rankings to get a 2nd seed (top ten for 1st seed).  I think we are currently 20th.  Those around us are the likes of Turkey, Serbia, Slovakia, Northern Ireland Romania Russia and Iceland.   

The playoff v Slovakia is crucial and qualifying will greatly help our chances.  Obviously some of those countries have qualified or will qualify so they will gain more ranking points.  

If we do not qualify then we will need to have a great nations league.  5 wins and losing top spot to Wales on the H2H would be far better from the ranking perspective than scraping top spot after a lot of draws.  

However even leaving aside the ranking I believe winning the group will be enough for a WC playoff.  It does depend on other group winners but I'd expect it to be enough in the end.    
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 7:53pm
I wouldn't be so sure topping the group will be enough. After all, there are fully 16 teams in League A. I'd say there's a strong chance a League B group winner will not make the playoffs.

For the worst League B group winner to make the playoffs requires six of the seven group winners above them to finish top two in their groups. That's probably likely in League A but there's a very good chance that only one or maybe even none of the League B winners will actually finish top two in their group.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 12:37pm
I'm hearing this will be canned completly this year to make way for the fixture backup.
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

I'm hearing this will be canned completly this year to make way for the fixture backup.

Most likely outcome or at the very least changed to 3 team groups, would free up two dates for the Euros play offs

Feel sorry for anyone who has booked travel to Bulgaria/Finland, likely to change to be honest
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 2:07pm
I mentioned this possibility yesterday on one of the threads - if the Euros are indeed parked until June next year, then you're losing at least 2 of the 10 match days for the world cup qualifiers. Then if the play-offs are re-scheduled for next March that's another 2 match days gone.  Something has to give - and I wouldn't be surprised if the NL is ditched so that this autumn's match dates can be used instead to pick up the slack. 
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 3:18pm
Would be absolute disaster this. But surely with the World Cup being December 2022 they still have more time for qualifying.
TonyGawks View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyGawks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 12:46pm
Nations League to be scrapped as Euros next summer
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 12:46pm
How will WC 2022 qualifying work??  I bet they will have Euros and world cups on odd years from now on.

WC to be played 2023

Euro 2024 to be played 2025 etc..

Edited by Trap junior - 17 Mar 2020 at 12:47pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by TonyGawks TonyGawks wrote:

Not surprised - Euros being put off til next summer means that there's 2 match days for WC22 qualifiers lost. Add in the (presumably) postponed play-offs and there's another 2 match days lost. They need to be squeezed in somewhere with the limited number of international dates available so the only real solution is to bring the qualifiers forward to this autumn and scrap the NL to make way.

So glad now that I haven't booked flights yet,just hotels on free cancellation. 
Jebediah Springfield View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jebediah Springfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 1:12pm
Pity the NL is scrapped - would have been a nice segway for Kenny to get his feet under the table before the qualifiers.

That's if he's the manager for it of course!

Side note - and from a purely footballing perspective in this time of crisis - but this may be a blessing in disguise for Ireland. If the playoff is next year also, it will give many of our younger players an extra year to get first team football and hopefully integrated into the senior team and our squad will be a stronger one as a result.

(Cue Mick still being in charge, Glenn Whelan the midfield anchor and Richard Keogh back in favour!)

Suffering weather-wise
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 1:15pm

Originally posted by TonyGawks TonyGawks wrote:

Not surprised - Euros being put off til next summer means that there's 2 match days for WC22 qualifiers lost. Add in the (presumably) postponed play-offs and there's another 2 match days lost. They need to be squeezed in somewhere with the limited number of international dates available so the only real solution is to bring the qualifiers forward to this autumn and scrap the NL to make way.

So glad now that I haven't booked flights yet,just hotels on free cancellation. 

I suspect and hope they will try and get the playoffs/finals done in the summer  - one less thing to worry about next year and NL stays as it - as do my finland flights  Cry 

UEFA will want the revenue from the NL games even more if the euros postponed and the play offs if this summer
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 1:21pm
Booking all the trips early has not worked out it seems Cry
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 1:25pm
great idea- scrap international football except for wc qualifiers and finals. Loads of room for the club game then, lovely.
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 1:35pm
Just put ourselves, North , Bosnia and Slovakia in a nations league group and play the games the end of the year. Top team qualifys for the euro 2021 finals 
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

2 things on that, I'd usually book early, and I would say probably 9 times out of 10, it works. This is one of the times it clearly didn't. LOLLOL

The other thing is that even though the next games are all a long way away, global flight schedules will change as a result of this, there will be airlines going bust, there will be routes (say, to countries that take longer to recover) no longer viable, or have reduced frequencies. 

Just because you have a flight to Bulgaria or Finland booked now, and yer thinking we will be going to Slovakia instead so the booked flights are useless, you might still get a refund on them if the schedule changes, or the route is flown less frequently when the airlines do return, or maybe the route won't have been reinstated due to whatever is going on in one of those countries. 

All a bit of a waiting game really, but wouldn't write off anything in terms of refunds/cancellations just yet. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

I'd already learned from the NL trip to Copenhagen (which turned out to be in Aarhus) in 2018 not to go rushing into booking flights the nanosecond the fixture dates were announced. I've also realised that it's often better to wait until the initial rush of Internet traffic has settled down before booking flights as they have tended to come back down. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 113114115116117 126>
  Share Topic