Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Nations League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9596979899 126>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

I give us about a 20% chance of qualifying.

If it was a one off playoff away to Slovakia I'd go around 50%.

Having to wait four months for an unlikely chance is annoying.Better to get it over with in november like the traditional playoffs.

Could be worse though, if it was Wales away first then it would probably be more like a 10% chance.

That's the problem it's just enough of a possibility to build up hopes, but probably not enough to see them come to fruition.

It's the hope that kills you.

This is a pain - this should have been factored in. 
It’s too long a wait and too close to the actual tournament.

Sponsored Links

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 4:40pm
Bosnia sacking their manager is the final nail in our coffin. It was clear there was something badly off in their setup, and now they'll have a fresh start and potentially 2 very winnable home games to qualify for the Euros. When you have players like Pjanic, Dzeko and Kolasinac available to you, build a solid core around them and they could be a very decent team. 

Before they sacked their manager I would have strongly fancied the North to get a result over there. Now it's a completely different ball game. Imagine a football association having the knowledge to make such a glaringly obvious decision. Just imagine that. Some day we can but hope there will be a living brain cell left in our football association.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Missy Missy wrote:

Mick finished 3rd and was a kick of a  ball away from qualifying from pot 3 behind 2 counrties that usually qualify  and both are  in top group in Nations League 
Bosnia were 2nd seeds  finished 4th behind Finlnd in 2nd Greece in 3rd Greece.

Big difference 

Good to have you back Missy. 
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Bosnia sacking their manager is the final nail in our coffin. It was clear there was something badly off in their setup, and now they'll have a fresh start and potentially 2 very winnable home games to qualify for the Euros. When you have players like Pjanic, Dzeko and Kolasinac available to you, build a solid core around them and they could be a very decent team. 

Before they sacked their manager I would have strongly fancied the North to get a result over there. Now it's a completely different ball game.

Otoh, bringing in a new manager with new ideas "cold" could also backfire - if only for a half a game or an hour - while the players get used to the new selection/formation/tactics?

Obv I'm hoping for the latter, but your hypothesis is hardly guaranteed either.

Imagine a football association having the knowledge to make such a glaringly obvious decision. Just imagine that. Some day we can but hope there will be a living brain cell left in our football association.
Afaik, there has been discontent over Prosinecki for some time.
In which case, since they were already guaranteed a P/O place, they should really have sacked him before now, thereby allowing his replacement proper time in post, inc actual matches.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 6:04pm
Very similar to the Republic. Our campaign was effectively dead for it's entirety, even if not mathematically dead, and yet our complete stooge of a manager is still in place. No doubt Bosnia would be in a better place if a new manager had gotten the last few matches of the group stage before the play offs. So would the Republic though.

At least Bosnia realised that leaving a lame duck manager in charge of the playoffs was a really really bad idea, even if late in the day. The FAI are yet to come to that conclusion and obviously won't. Our qualification hopes are dead. Bosnias have taken a massive boost.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 28 Nov 2019 at 6:06pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 6:16pm

Bosnias [hopes] have taken a massive boost.

Maybe, maybe not - depends at least in part who replaces RP.

Some people reckon it could be Safet Susic. Otoh, he did a great job getting them to the 2014 WCF.

Oto, his career in club management before and since is all v.patchy to say the least: years spent slumming it at small, provincial clubs, esp in Turkey, and nothing to show for it bar one Turkish Super Cup.

And only ever been in charge of 200 club games by the age of 64 - he's no Ferguson or Wenger, that's for sure!
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 10:53pm
Follow a few Bosnian football accounts on the twitter machine since we last met them in 2015. Their FA (if the lads are to be believed) makes the FAI look like a model of a well run organisation. The majority of their fans seemed to want Prosinecki gone for a good while, so they're happy with that decision, but they've no faith in their FA to come up with a suitable replacement. 

So, basically, they are exactly where we were after MON's last game in Aarhus. The parallels don't end there, one of the names in the frame is their ex manager who was sacked in 2014, and also sacked from the 3 jobs he has gotten since then (the twitter lads don't want this fella).  By the looks of things, their FA could as easily appoint their version of Mick McCarthy as some inspirational figure who will get them through the 2 home games, the feeling among the fans is that their FA are making it up as they go along.

We must be their football administration twins. It's a brave call, but one that was coming, Prosinecki had already resigned and was then reappointed during the campaign, he was something of a lame duck already (another thing we have in common etc). Think only time will prove whether it was a good call, but on the surface of it, it looks like one. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 11:42pm
The point being that they now have a chance. They had effectively none under Prosinecki (what a player he was back in the day btw). So no matter who comes in, or how good a manager he is, their chances will have improved. 

Edited by Hans Moleman - 28 Nov 2019 at 11:43pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 12:34am

The point being that they now have a chance. They had effectively none under Prosinecki (what a player he was back in the day btw). So no matter who comes in, or how good a manager he is, their chances will have improved. 

If, as Super Dave reckons above, the Bosnian FA and the FAI are somehow football administration twins, can you completely discount the possibility that Bosnia are in the same position as you were eg when Brian Kerr needed to be replaced?

For we all know who came next... LOL

(Obviously I'm hoping against hope to an increasingly unfeasible level)
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 12:52am
Just before anyone else mistakes me for Superdave, I know fcuk all about trains. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 1:08am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Just before anyone else mistakes me for Superdave, I know fcuk all about trains. 

Apologies to you both. I have absolutely no idea where that came from: a "senior moment"? Embarrassed

Meanwhile, thank you for your insight on the Bosnia gig - I'm currently taking every little bit of encouragement I can get!
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 1:27am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

And I know fcuk all about Bosnian twitter.
Adobolo View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adobolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 2:30am
Why such pessimism? They have sacked a manager who had a great home record and to be replaced by whoever that has only three days to prepare a set of players he has never met before. You may argue that a new manager boosts a teams to get a result as they may do against the northies but we may play them in their second game where that boost is gone and perhaps their players maybe a bit worn out...more optimism please.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 9:23am
I know little about trains or Bosnian twitter however they do have one advantage over the other 3 teams in the playoffs.  That is two top class players in Pjanic and Dzeko.  

We don't have anyone in that class nor do NI.  Hamsik was in that class but playing in the Chinese league these days.  I appreciate he is younger than Dzeko but not playing against the same quality of opponent every week.  

They probably deserve to be favourites but a new coach does leave them vulnerable.  They might get a bounce but will be under pressure.  NI don't have anyone of that class but do have an excellent manager and a well organsied team that is far better than the sum of the parts.    
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 9:30am
As above, the one thing that Bosnia have that none of the other 3 have, is clinical players in front of goal. Will probably be the difference if Bosnia can click under new manager. 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 9:35am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

I know little about trains or Bosnian twitter however they do have one advantage over the other 3 teams in the playoffs.  That is two top class players in Pjanic and Dzeko.  

We don't have anyone in that class nor do NI.  Hamsik was in that class but playing in the Chinese league these days.  I appreciate he is younger than Dzeko but not playing against the same quality of opponent every week.  

They probably deserve to be favourites but a new coach does leave them vulnerable.  They might get a bounce but will be under pressure.  NI don't have anyone of that class but do have an excellent manager and a well organsied team that is far better than the sum of the parts.    

Agree......Bosnia should be firm favourites to qualify.

Should they qualify it may make things easier to get tickets for games in the Aviva, although the possibility of Bosnia V Switzerland doesnt fill me with excitement.

And should the North qualify, i think Dublin can forget about a financial bonanza of being a host
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Should they qualify it may make things easier to get tickets for games in the Aviva, although the possibility of Bosnia V Switzerland doesnt fill me with excitement.

And should the North qualify, i think Dublin can forget about a financial bonanza of being a host

Bosnia v Switzerland would hardly sellout Tallaght Stadium.  

At €185 a pop between the corner flags I can safely say it will be very easy to get tickets unless Poland, us or NI end up playing in Dublin.

There will be a financial bonaza assuming England come here for the Rof16.  The likes of France and Portugal would be hugely attractive to neutrals but will bring very few travelling fans.  Sweden would travel in decent numbers but hardly fill the Aviva.   

Edited by gspain - 29 Nov 2019 at 11:43am
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 1:46pm

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Bosnia v Switzerland would hardly sellout Tallaght Stadium.  

At €185 a pop between the corner flags I can safely say it will be very easy to get tickets unless Poland, us or NI end up playing in Dublin.

There will be a financial bonaza assuming England come here for the Rof16.  The likes of France and Portugal would be hugely attractive to neutrals but will bring very few travelling fans.  Sweden would travel in decent numbers but hardly fill the Aviva.   
You'd be surprised, I'm not doubting there'll be tickets for most games available on the day but there'll be healthy attendances at most games. Look at last time out, a dead rubber in a similar sized stadium, Albania V Romania - 49k attendance in a 56k stadium.

Lots of games that look unattractive get big attendances. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9596979899 126>
  Share Topic