You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Nations League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5859606162 126>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 1:42pm
Wonder will the increase in teams just lead to more dead rubber matches? 3 teams kept most groups a bit tighter
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

All about the new countries 

Eire 

Israel 

Czech 

Bulgaria
Israel is relatively new alright, the others have been around a while though. I guess if you just take Czechia itself you have a point.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

All about the new countries 

Eire 

Israel 

Czech 

Bulgaria
Israel is relatively new alright, the others have been around a while though. I guess if you just take Czechia itself you have a point.

LOL
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by foggy.nelson foggy.nelson wrote:

Can the seedings change between now and the draw or are they exclusively from the nations league standings

Nah, that's it, that NL is over and those are the seedings at the end of it. The draw in in March, and there are no more NL games until next September. 

Feck knows re the playoff format, I can't see FIFA liking the idea of a league C team making the final 13, but equally, UEFA will want to allow a league C team some kind of chance too. All that has the makings of something even more convoluted regarding the eventual playoffs. Probably a league C playoff to take a single place in the league B playoff.......

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
daveorourke77 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveorourke77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by foggy.nelson foggy.nelson wrote:

Wonder will the increase in teams just lead to more dead rubber matches? 3 teams kept most groups a bit tighter
We rarely do dead rubbers
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 1:19pm
When does UEFA announce the date for the World Cup qualifying draw? Usually it has been done the summer following the previous world cup. We don't even know the date of the draw and it's September.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

When does UEFA announce the date for the World Cup qualifying draw? Usually it has been done the summer following the previous world cup. We don't even know the date of the draw and it's September.

I would think that will be November 2020 (when the next NL is finished bar the finals), with the qualifiers kicking off in March 2021 ? That's a guess, but can't see it being done before that. 

GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 1:42pm

Because we have Nations League matches in Sep/Oct/Nov 2020, our qualifiers will be condensed to Mar-Nov 2021.
So they don’t need to do anything for the next 6 months or so I’d imagine.
Not sure there is a clause that fixtures must be announced a certain time period before the first qualifier?
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 1:46pm
Africa and Asia have already started their qualifiers.
CONCACAF starts Sept 2020.
South America starts next March, a full year before we start ours.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Because we have Nations League matches in Sep/Oct/Nov 2020, our qualifiers will be condensed to Mar-Nov 2021.
Not sure there is a clause that fixtures must be announced a certain time period before the first qualifier?

Yes your probably right. The only conundrum UEFA have is they can't use the Nations League for seeding the draw. They must use FIFA world rankings. They probably will do the draw in December 2020.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2019 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

But now the World Cup isn't til November or December, the qualifiers don't need to finish til the June international window.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 11:29pm
This is a question for Irish fans that regularly attend the away games. It is my understanding that Ireland didn't sell out any of their away allocation for both Nations League games against Wales and Denmark. If this is the case do you reckon that was because the competition wasn't as important as qualifier games or because people were just sick of playing wales and Denmark and O'Neills brand of football. I definitely will try and go to an away game in the Nations League next year if tickets are available. Romania away being the ideal game.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 11:33pm

This is a question for Irish fans that regularly attend the away games. It is my understanding that Ireland didn't sell out any of their away allocation for both Nations League games against Wales and Denmark. If this is the case do you reckon that was because the competition wasn't as important as qualifier games or because people were just sick of playing wales and Denmark and O'Neills brand of football. I definitely will try and go to an away game in the Nations League next year if tickets are available. Romania away being the ideal game.

Can only speak for myself but I'd probably have gone if it wasn't the same teams again. We had 7 out of 8 competitive games against the same two teams, it was tedious as hell. Midweek games to boot which I couldn't really get away from. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Can only speak for myself but I'd probably have gone if it wasn't the same teams again. We had 7 out of 8 competitive games against the same two teams, it was tedious as hell. Midweek games to boot which I couldn't really get away from. 

I guess demand could be high if we draw a group full of teams we haven't played in a while. I wonder if demand will be as high if we do qualify for Euro 2020. 
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 11:46pm

That really depends on individual circumstances Aon Sceal, time, money, holidays etc.  Some lads go to everything regardless, but in the cases above, a definite degree of Cardiff & Copenhagen fatigue set in. Its the same with Tbilisi, its a great spot, but I know several regulars not going this time having been twice in the last 5 years. 

Even though it wasn't a success for us, the NL was a success overall, but I think it is unlikely that it will ever take the same importance as qualifiers as regards attendances and ticket demand. Which is good for lads like yerself as regards getting away tickets & building up a record. 

The brand of football, I dunno how much of a factor that is, to be very blunt about it, if you wanted to see us playing good football, you wouldn't be watching us at all, though that said, MON took the numbingly boring, tactically clueless stuff to an entire new level in his final year, so maybe it was a factor there. Bucharest would be a great spot for an away game, old town full of bars etc, handy to get to and not the dearest either. So we'll draw Wales again. 

Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

That really depends on individual circumstances Aon Sceal, time, money, holidays etc.  Some lads go to everything regardless, but in the cases above, a definite degree of Cardiff & Copenhagen fatigue set in. Its the same with Tbilisi, its a great spot, but I know several regulars not going this time having been twice in the last 5 years. 

Even though it wasn't a success for us, the NL was a success overall, but I think it is unlikely that it will ever take the same importance as qualifiers as regards attendances and ticket demand. Which is good for lads like yerself as regards getting away tickets & building up a record. 

The brand of football, I dunno how much of a factor that is, to be very blunt about it, if you wanted to see us playing good football, you wouldn't be watching us at all, though that said, MON took the numbingly boring, tactically clueless stuff to an entire new level in his final year, so maybe it was a factor there. Bucharest would be a great spot for an away game, old town full of bars etc, handy to get to and not the dearest either. So we'll draw Wales again. 

Ya I really want to go to an away game properly. I went to the Austria vs Ireland game in Vienna back in 2016. I was studying there at the time so was able to get tickets in the home end. Not the same as being in with the Irish fans though so I would like the proper experience this time. I realise that it is very unlikely to get tickets for an away qualifier so the Nations League could be a realistic opportunity to avail of.
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 12:25am

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Ya I really want to go to an away game properly. I went to the Austria vs Ireland game in Vienna back in 2016. I was studying there at the time so was able to get tickets in the home end. Not the same as being in with the Irish fans though so I would like the proper experience this time. I realise that it is very unlikely to get tickets for an away qualifier so the Nations League could be a realistic opportunity to avail of.

Apart from Gibraltar there would be no issue getting tickets for any away game this campaign.
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 8:14am

The draw couldn't really have been worse. I went to Denmark away, was delighted it was a different city not that I done much sightseeing. 

Like most things it'll take some time to gain popularity, in saying that it did feel like watch friendlies. It doesn't help that they changed the format, loses a bit of credibility. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5859606162 126>
  Share Topic