You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Nations League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5556575859 126>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 4:00pm

The hosts will complicate the playoffs but UEFA won't seed them.  

Despite the UEFA website the Dutch will not now be in the playoffs.  

The hosts in the playoffs will be Scotland (100%), us/Denmark (highly likely), 

Hungary are now struggling to qualify and need at most 1 of Kosovo, Armenia, Romania and Slovenia to qualify directly to get a playoff.  Romania need Kosovo, armenia and Slovenia to all miss out for a playoff.

The chances of both Hungary and Romania now making the playoffs appear slim.

If one of them makes it say Hungary then they will most likely be bumped up to League A.  At that point we would be excluded from jumping up (Denmark cannot go up as a group winner).        

In that scenario you could have

League A playoff  Iceland, Czechs (pushed up), Hungary , Israel
League B  Bosnia, Wales, Us, NI
League C  Scotland, Norway, Serbia, Bulgaria

League A winner is drawn in Budapest, League B in Dublin and League C in Glasgow.  No need for a re-draw.  

If Romania also made the playoffs (say stay in league C) then League A winner is drawn in Budapest, League B in Dublin, League C in Glasgow, League D in Bucharest.  However at the draw they will state if Romania win the League C playoff they go to Bucharest and the League D winner go to Glasgow.  
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 4:01pm
It’s certainly on the wrong continent, not that that has ever stopped them before. Greenland certainly deserve to be playing international football. I have always wanted to go there too.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 4:37pm
I thought the nations cup was a graft idea at the time! Far better than friendlies,  particularly in group a and d. I know it's mad looking at the permutations, but people need to chill out and lderry whatever happen if we need itCool
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 4:42pm
Hating the Nations League because of the playoff link is bizarre. Independent of the playoffs, it is a great idea, not least because of the reduction in close to meaningless friendlies. If you don’t like the playoff link, grand, the playoff link could be abolished; but the nations league is still a fine standalone competition and it makes group seedings far easier to understand, if nothing else.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

The hosts will complicate the playoffs but UEFA won't seed them.  

Despite the UEFA website the Dutch will not now be in the playoffs.  

The hosts in the playoffs will be Scotland (100%), us/Denmark (highly likely), 

Hungary are now struggling to qualify and need at most 1 of Kosovo, Armenia, Romania and Slovenia to qualify directly to get a playoff.  Romania need Kosovo, armenia and Slovenia to all miss out for a playoff.

The chances of both Hungary and Romania now making the playoffs appear slim.

If one of them makes it say Hungary then they will most likely be bumped up to League A.  At that point we would be excluded from jumping up (Denmark cannot go up as a group winner).        

In that scenario you could have

League A playoff  Iceland, Czechs (pushed up), Hungary , Israel
League B  Bosnia, Wales, Us, NI
League C  Scotland, Norway, Serbia, Bulgaria

League A winner is drawn in Budapest, League B in Dublin and League C in Glasgow.  No need for a re-draw.  

If Romania also made the playoffs (say stay in league C) then League A winner is drawn in Budapest, League B in Dublin, League C in Glasgow, League D in Bucharest.  However at the draw they will state if Romania win the League C playoff they go to Bucharest and the League D winner go to Glasgow.  

Yet I'm bring told this is much of a muchness to the Euro 2016 playoff system LOL f*ckin hell. Why couldn't they just have the nation's league as a separate competition, standing on its own. Woeful idea to tie it to the qualifiers.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Hating the Nations League because of the playoff link is bizarre. Independent of the playoffs, it is a great idea, not least because of the reduction in close to meaningless friendlies. If you don’t like the playoff link, grand, the playoff link could be abolished; but the nations league is still a fine standalone competition and it makes group seedings far easier to understand, if nothing else.
The NL is now far more interesting than the Euros! 
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 8:53pm
Portugal get ur act together Czechs too
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:05pm
4 goals for Ronaldo tonight
Brings him up to 93 in 160 intl appearances.
depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:19pm
Ronaldo, now has 24 goals in European qualifiers, has now broke Robbie Keane’s record of 23 
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

It's win win for me. We either qualify automatically which would be amazing for us, the morale in this country (doom and gloomers / bandwagoners for the egg chasing etc) and maybe for our rankings. 

Our we get a playoff in a half decent country that isn't Denmark or Wales.

We can't draw Denmark in the playoffs for sure.  However don't rule out another trip to Cardiff.  Wales are really struggling to qualify and most likely will have a home league B semi final.  

Ah FFS - don't tell me this
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 11:57pm
Good results for us tonight:
England won
Kosovo lost
Czech Republic won
France won
Turkey won
Portugal won

Not so good that Serbia beat Luxembourg albeit that was expected or that Albania beat Iceland but it's still not a bad night all around. The England group results were definitely the biggest positive and the Czechs look a bit more likely to get second now. The Czech Republic v Kosovo game in November is clearly the big one in that group, everything else going as expected. It is unlikely to end things but a Czech win in that game will be enough to send them through barring Kosovo beating England at home.

AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 5:34pm
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying

If you go down to the playoffs section of this page it will list the Overall Nations League rankings. The teams highlighted in light blue currently occupy a playoff spot.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Jasonic View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 8:26pm
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Jasonic Jasonic wrote:

It appears we haven't been relegated...

Couldn't have the Germans relegated could they LOL
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 8:34pm
I love how they're so blatant about the reasons

Why the change of format?

the number of competitive matches during the competition's league phase will increase from 138 to 162, thereby increasing the commercial value of the competition.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 8:36pm
 They came up with a decent idea and are absolutely disgusted at themselves, so they have to turn it into as big a pile of wank as possible. 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 8:39pm
https://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/news/newsid=2581669.html

Looks like we haven't been relegated after all

https://twitter.com/UEFA/status/1176567794827177985?s=20
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 8:43pm
surely a competition builds credibility by sticking to its rules. Makey upping them as they along smacks of the ridiculous structure it's always been.

Just about when we figured it all out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5556575859 126>
  Share Topic