You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Nations League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 126>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Charlton's Child Charlton's Child wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Wales were sixth seeds in the FIFA rankings as recently as the 2010 World Cup qualifiers. But because they stopped playing friendlies, they rocketed up the rankings. They did only finish second bottom of their 2014 qualifying group but the start they made to the euro 2016 group (top at the time of the 2018 qualifying draw) and the absence of friendlies, plus the extra weight for recent results, saw them in the first seeds, only four years later, having risen over 100 places in the rankings. It's not like their results were sensational (they were good: a 3-0 win in Israel is no doubt a good result) but gaming the system; there's no reason we couldn't have tried the same and risen to second seeds at least.

But I guarantee we will continue to play extra friendlies against Oman and the likes, even after the Nations League starts, and drop even further down the rankings. It's quite unfortunate that the finances of the association, stadium and debt mean we have to play those games.

I thought The introduction of the nations league would pretty much put a stop to friendly???

There will be 6 matchdays for the Nations League next year.  If we are in Group B (highly likely) we will be in a group of 3 so will only play on 4 of those matchdays.  This will leave 2 dates free for friendlies if a national association so desires.
Sponsored Links

ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Charlton's Child Charlton's Child wrote:

Wales were sixth seeds in the FIFA rankings as recently as the 2010 World Cup qualifiers. But because they stopped playing friendlies, they rocketed up the rankings. They did only finish second bottom of their 2014 qualifying group but the start they made to the euro 2016 group (top at the time of the 2018 qualifying draw) and the absence of friendlies, plus the extra weight for recent results, saw them in the first seeds, only four years later, having risen over 100 places in the rankings. It's not like their results were sensational (they were good: a 3-0 win in Israel is no doubt a good result) but gaming the system; there's no reason we couldn't have tried the same and risen to second seeds at least.

But I guarantee we will continue to play extra friendlies against Oman and the likes, even after the Nations League starts, and drop even further down the rankings. It's quite unfortunate that the finances of the association, stadium and debt mean we have to play those games.

I thought The introduction of the nations league would pretty much put a stop to friendly???

Not completely. As I said above we'll still have a couple of spare dates for friendlies but there'll thankfully be far fewer of them then we currently have.
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 8:43pm
Sorry, should have clarified I didn't know uefa didn't count them, knew about Wales, Romania etc
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 9:27pm

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 9:45pm
Multiple explanations in this thread as to why that's not the case
musicinmouth View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicinmouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 9:57pm
Given that we're part-hosting Euro 2020, I think it's great to have an alternative way of qualifying as back up. It would be heartbreaking not to qualify for this one! 
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 10:00pm
re FIFA rankings - have FIFA confirmed they see this UEFA competition as earning the same ranking points as a World Cup or EURO qualifier?

I wouldn't be surprised if they recognise its weighting as something between a friendly - factor of 1 - and a full competitive qualifier (EURO or World Cup) - factor of 3.

Edited by Dalymount79 - 18 Jun 2017 at 10:12pm
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 10:03pm
I think that may have been part of UEFA's thinking. It'll count as competitive, I reckon.

Sure, ffs, don't the 18 qualifiers the South Americans each play count, along with the Copa America. They also count the labyrinthine qualifiers for CONCACAF and Asia, where it's not unheard of for teams to play 20 games. They have to count the Nations League.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 10:57pm
The league is a qualifying competition in its own right so FIFA will have to recognise the games as qualifiers. 
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 9:21am
Anyone know when the actual draw for the groups is for this?

Rankings till October will be used to determine which teams are in which league, and we're most likely in B.

Matches in September, October and November 2018.

So I would assume the draw will be made somewhere at the end of this year. But haven't found anything online yet.
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

Rankings till October will be used to determine which teams are in which league, and we're most likely in B.

So I would assume the draw will be made somewhere at the end of this year. But haven't found anything online yet.

was thinking the same Steve. Seem to remember we knew we had 3 aways after the euros in France not long after/or before we qualified but cant recall when.

thought it might be start of Dec but that will be the WC finals draw so there wont be a euro draw then
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 9:34am
I have March 2018 in my head for some reason and think it has something to do with either the seedings being decided or maybe a draw for that Nations League later in the year. Read it before somewhere.

Edited by irishmufc - 07 Aug 2017 at 9:34am
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

was thinking the same Steve. Seem to remember we knew we had 3 aways after the euros in France not long after/or before we qualified but cant recall when.

thought it might be start of Dec but that will be the WC finals draw so there wont be a euro draw then

the relevent thread for Serbia (sept 16) was started Jul 15 
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 10:12am
March I think may be the time when the Euro2020 qualifying groups are drawn.

We'll be getting 2 holiday lotteries in the space of a few months
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 10:13am

I don't know when the draw will take place.  However it is the rankings after the November playoffs that will be used.  Lots of info here.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 10:34am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

I don't know when the draw will take place.  However it is the rankings after the November playoffs that will be used.  Lots of info here.

Yeah, but the playoffs will not be counted in the ranking.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 11:18am
I seem to remember seeing something about the draw being slated for December but as yet no date had been fixed. There's a uefa meeting where a few lose ends need to be tied up and they were going to do the draw shortly afterwards.

Edited by colemanY2K - 07 Aug 2017 at 11:18am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 11:35am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

I seem to remember seeing something about the draw being slated for December but as yet no date had been fixed. There's a uefa meeting where a few lose ends need to be tied up and they were going to do the draw shortly afterwards.

Cant see there being 2 major draws in December though it would make planning 2018 a lot easier
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 126>
  Share Topic