You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Nations League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 126>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicinmouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 10:10am
We are currently forecast to be in the top tier (A).

This means we'd be pretty much gauranteed a play off spot even if we lost all our games, because everyone else in that tier will likely qualify in their Euro group.

And we get to play interesting games.

Why would this be bad?!!
Sponsored Links

Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 11:02am
Originally posted by musicinmouth musicinmouth wrote:

We are currently forecast to be in the top tier (A).

This means we'd be pretty much gauranteed a play off spot even if we lost all our games, because everyone else in that tier will likely qualify in their Euro group.

And we get to play interesting games.

Why would this be bad?!!

Would take that if true. Plus you'd imagine the top sides will be putting our weaker teams at the request of the big clubs
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 9:02pm
We'll be in League B more than likely which has four groups of three teams, everyone plays each other home and away.

Group winner gets promoted to League A. Loser goes to League C.

League B has one Euro 2020 spot available, which the group winners play off for, if the group winner has already qualified, then the second placed team goes into the qualifier

As it stands we'll play one of Austria, Sweden, Slovakia and Holland as well as one of the nordies, Czech Republic, Hungary and Turkey

That'll all change as we slide down the rankings
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 9:21pm
Austria wouldn't mind a trip back to Vienna
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

We'll be in League B more than likely which has four groups of three teams, everyone plays each other home and away.

Group winner gets promoted to League A. Loser goes to League C.

League B has one Euro 2020 spot available, which the group winners play off for, if the group winner has already qualified, then the second placed team goes into the qualifier

As it stands we'll play one of Austria, Sweden, Slovakia and Holland as well as one of the nordies, Czech Republic, Hungary and Turkey

That'll all change as we slide down the rankings

Slide down the rankings?

Win away to Georgia
Draw at home to Serbia
Win at home to Moldova
Draw away to Wales

Slide up the rankings
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 9:41pm
We're due to go down 6 places as is, even if what you say happens we won't be up much from where we are now

Edited by nvidic - 17 Jun 2017 at 9:41pm
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 10:35pm
I can't understand how a lot of people seem to be against the nations league International friendlies are beyond a chore at this stage to attend. These 6 matches after the world cup will be competitive and should attract far better crowds than meaningless warm up games. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

I can't understand how a lot of people seem to be against the nations league International friendlies are beyond a chore at this stage to attend. These 6 matches after the world cup will be competitive and should attract far better crowds than meaningless warm up games. 

Totally agree.
Plus the qualifying campaign for Euro 2020 will be from March to November 2019.
2 matches in March, June, September, October & November.

10 matches spread over 13 months as it is, is a pain.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 10:43pm
If we are in a group with those teams we will make a fortune on the correct scores! Never have I seen so many certain 1-1 draws.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Totally agree.
Plus the qualifying campaign for Euro 2020 will be from March to November 2019.
2 matches in March, June, September, October & November.

10 matches spread over 13 months as it is, is a pain.

10 games over 8 months us heavy on the pocket

'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 11:39pm

Only four games - three team group
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 11:47pm

Correct you are still beats games against Oman I think it's a positive move forward by UEFA. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 1:00pm

Correct you are still beats games against Oman I think it's a positive move forward by UEFA. 

Or at least it would if we were in a 4-team group. But the fact we'll be in a 3-team group will leave us with 2 spare dates for friendlies. And I think we all know who one of those friendlies is bound to be against...

But yeah, you're right, UEFA have finally copped on that there's just no appetite for friendlies as you can see by the often poor crowds and flat atmosphere and not just at our games. Bring it on.
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 2:04pm

We're due to go down 6 places as is, even if what you say happens we won't be up much from where we are now

Our slide is down the FIFA rankings.  This is affected by playing too many friendlies particularly if you lose them.  Of course you benefit from playing them in blooding players.

The Nations League is determined by the UEFA rankings.

The UEFA rankings is based on competitive games only and is much fairer IMO.  We are almost certain to be in Group B of the nations league although with 4 games to go the makeup of who we can meet will change.  

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Our slide is down the FIFA rankings.  This is affected by playing too many friendlies particularly if you lose them.  Of course you benefit from playing them in blooding players.

The UEFA rankings is based on competitive games only and is much fairer IMO.  We are almost certain to be in Group B of the nations league although with 4 games to go the makeup of who we can meet will change.  

Never knew that about the friendlies!

Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 5:52pm

Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Never knew that about the friendlies!

Yea Chris Coleman of Wales has stopped letting Wales play friendlys sicne been in charge to help with rankings
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 6:28pm
Wales were sixth seeds in the FIFA rankings as recently as the 2010 World Cup qualifiers. But because they stopped playing friendlies, they rocketed up the rankings. They did only finish second bottom of their 2014 qualifying group but the start they made to the euro 2016 group (top at the time of the 2018 qualifying draw) and the absence of friendlies, plus the extra weight for recent results, saw them in the first seeds, only four years later, having risen over 100 places in the rankings. It's not like their results were sensational (they were good: a 3-0 win in Israel is no doubt a good result) but gaming the system; there's no reason we couldn't have tried the same and risen to second seeds at least.

But I guarantee we will continue to play extra friendlies against Oman and the likes, even after the Nations League starts, and drop even further down the rankings. It's quite unfortunate that the finances of the association, stadium and debt mean we have to play those games.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 18 Jun 2017 at 6:29pm
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Wales were sixth seeds in the FIFA rankings as recently as the 2010 World Cup qualifiers. But because they stopped playing friendlies, they rocketed up the rankings. They did only finish second bottom of their 2014 qualifying group but the start they made to the euro 2016 group (top at the time of the 2018 qualifying draw) and the absence of friendlies, plus the extra weight for recent results, saw them in the first seeds, only four years later, having risen over 100 places in the rankings. It's not like their results were sensational (they were good: a 3-0 win in Israel is no doubt a good result) but gaming the system; there's no reason we couldn't have tried the same and risen to second seeds at least.

But I guarantee we will continue to play extra friendlies against Oman and the likes, even after the Nations League starts, and drop even further down the rankings. It's quite unfortunate that the finances of the association, stadium and debt mean we have to play those games.

I thought The introduction of the nations league would pretty much put a stop to friendly???
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 126>
  Share Topic