FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Nations League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 126>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

I think I remember hearing Kenny say that he's not going to have any provisional squads. He just names the squad and that's it.

Regarding Brady, I wouldn't put much credence in what Kenny has been saying. Is new in the job so I think he's going to be paying a bit of lip service and understandably so. Man management is one of his strength so it's no surprise.

Even some of the kind words he had for McGoldrick, I don't see him being as a guaranteed starter. I don't think McGoldrick is fast enough to be the man up top for Kenny. He might work in the number 10 role. He definitely has some of the attributes but whether it works in practice is another thing.

Refreshing stuff. The 64 man squads have been a bugbear of mine for a long time.

23 man squad. No more than half-a-dozen players on standby and we shouldn't even have to know who they are. Call them up if and when necessary whenever someone drops out. Used to drive me nuts when lads like Stephen Kelly, Paul McShane and Conor Sammon were named in extended squads when the man on the moon knew they were never going to be a serious option for us going forward.

The players themselves said they couldn't see the point of the exercise and found it demoralising more than anything.

If the extended squads do continue to be a thing [unlikely going by the above], I could see lads like Christie, O'Dowda, Horgan, Hogan and Collins being a fixture of them as better, and younger, options continue to appear.

You could add Maguire to that list, but I still think he has something to offer. I think we saw the real Maguire in his first campaign at Preston. In the second, he struggled with injury setbacks. He had a poor enough campaign last season, but I'd cut him a bit of slack having played in a system that doesn't suit him, and often out of position.
Sponsored Links

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 11:08pm
I think I remember hearing Kenny say that he's not going to have any provisional squads. He just names the squad and that's it.

Regarding Brady, I wouldn't put much credence in what Kenny has been saying. Is new in the job so I think he's going to be paying a bit of lip service and understandably so. Man management is one of his strength so it's no surprise.

Even some of the kind words he had for McGoldrick, I don't see him being as a guaranteed starter. I don't think McGoldrick is fast enough to be the man up top for Kenny. He might work in the number 10 role. He definitely has some of the attributes but whether it works in practice is another thing.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 10:56pm

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

A provisional 23 man squad predictions. 

Randolph O’Hara Travers 
Coleman Doherty O’Shea Egan Duffy Lenihan Stevens Manning
Brady Molumby McCarthy Cullen Hourihane Byrne Hendrick 
Mcgoldrick Long Obafemi Robinson Connolly

Might be a bigger initial squad then 23 but that’s the one I’m thinking. 
A nice mix of fresher faces Travers O’Shea Manning Cullen Molumby and Connolly and the senior lads. The boys that were the core of the good O’Neill period Duffy Coleman Randolph McCarthy Hendrick Brady Long supplemented with the lads moving up to PL level recently (Doherty Stevens Egan Hourihane Mcgoldrick Robinson) supplemented again with the savage crop of U21s gives us a real nice mix.  

Decent shout. Although I can't see McClean getting dropped from the squad. Don't see how Brady makes squad based on recent form (last 4 years)

Think Idah will get a call up.

Sorry I clean forgot McClean he will of course be in the squad. 

McClean for Obafemi maybe. Brady hasn’t played much but Kenny made it clear how much he rates him and likes him. If there’s a provisional 30 man squad the 3 above will be in the squad but as 23 man one Obafemi misses out at Brady and Mccleans expense.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Randolph O’Hara Travers 

A nice mix of fresher faces Travers O’Shea Manning Cullen Molumby and Connolly and the senior lads. The boys that were the core of the good O’Neill period Duffy Coleman Randolph McCarthy Hendrick Brady Long supplemented with the lads moving up to PL level recently (Doherty Stevens Egan Hourihane Mcgoldrick Robinson) supplemented again with the savage crop of U21s gives us a real nice mix.  

Decent shout. Although I can't see McClean getting dropped from the squad. Don't see how Brady makes squad based on recent form (last 4 years)

Think Idah will get a call up.

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 10:47pm

Randolph O’Hara Travers 

Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 10:19pm

Kenny's first squad being announced next Monday. Midday. 

Dum dum dum 

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 9:54am
Kenny's first squad being announced next Monday. Midday. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Here's my 5c on the starting 11 in Sept:

Randolph
Coleman, Duffy, Egan, Stevens
McCarthy
Doherty Hendrick
McGoldrick
Long Connolly

I've a feeling he'll get Doherty out there somehow.
Connolly to offer width and a goal threat from the left while Long will be more central with Doherty pushing on outside him to offer width on the right.
McG acting as a #10 and coming deep which will work better with Connolly and Long ahead of him for stretches.
The midfield limitations are there to be seen, however, with the main two being supported by a wing-back and a 2nd striker.  A lot of pressure on McCarthy in this 11.

As for subs, well, it's the NL so we can go mad and try out the likes of Molumby and Knight and even Smallbone (I know he's been talked about for the 21's but they have no game in Sept so why not?).

While these two NL games can be seen as something of a testing ground for formations and players, with a critical qualifier coming up straight after we need to be looking to get the starting 11 nailed down ASAP with some cohesion so I expect the 11 that start v Bulgaria and Finland to not vary too much.

Decent enough team. I'd swap Hourihane in for McGoldrick as he's more of a goal threat from open play and set pieces.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

I’d say that’s accurate, Kevin100. 

Overall, I think it comes down to Hendrick of Hourihane in midfield and, although I think Hendrick offers more experience and athleticism, Hourihane has the advantage of creating more chances from free kicks and open play. Hopefully the new system will suit him better and we see a little better from him 

Yeah he may play Doherty on the right with Coleman in behind but personally I think as a manager you have to have the balls to not play Coleman and utilise Doherty and Stevens attacking abilities and output you won’t find 5 countries in Europe with 2 full backs with as good as attacking output as them and I ain’t even exxagerating by saying that so you need to use them. They are both essentially 2nd and 3rd behind Arnold and Robertson in stats respectively in their positions in the PL. Manning and Brady would be just as good for the role Mannings attacking output for QPR at LB was something else so when you have potential options like that you bloody well utilise them.

Hendrick actually probably will play at 10 come to think of it but I think against teams like Bulgaria and Finland who I would hope we might get on the ball against Hourihane in that position could be dynamite. I wouldn’t be shocked to see Hendrick playing RM either as cutting inside would suit him.
Ecumenical Matter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 2:39pm
        Randolph

Coleman Duffy Egan
Doherty                       Stevens
            McCarthy Hourihane
                  McGoldrick
        Long              Connolly 

Edited by Ecumenical Matter - 16 Aug 2020 at 2:41pm
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 2:35pm
I’d say that’s accurate, Kevin100. 

Overall, I think it comes down to Hendrick of Hourihane in midfield and, although I think Hendrick offers more experience and athleticism, Hourihane has the advantage of creating more chances from free kicks and open play. Hopefully the new system will suit him better and we see a little better from him 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by gally gally wrote:

OK, my team as follows

Randolph
Coleman  O'Shea  Egan  Stevens
Arter  McCarthy
Doherty  Byrne  Connolly
McGoldrick

Randolph
Doherty Duffy Egan Stevens
       Molumby McCarthy
Connolly Hourihane Robinson
          Mcgoldrick

Weather this will be the team I don’t know but I do think Mcgoldrick will drop deep allowing Connolly Robinson or whoeevr is playing there to cut inside and the full backs to bomb forward. Hourihane at 10 may seem obscure but I think he’d be perfect there can pick out a pass and is deadly from a dead ball situation. Will have McCarthy and Molumby in behind him covering for the full backs and offering legs to compensate for Hourihane who lacks the legs to get around the pitch. Personnel may well be different but this is how I see us setting up and I think Mcgoldrick dropping deep to allow Connolly Robinson Brady Obafemi Parrott potentially we have lots of tricky pacy guys who can play cutting inside wingers to accomadate Doherty Stevens Manning or even Brady if you play him at LB (why wouldn’t you utilise their abilities) 
gally View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 2:00pm
OK, my team as follows

Randolph
Coleman  O'Shea  Egan  Stevens
Arter  McCarthy
Doherty  Byrne  Connolly
McGoldrick

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 1:21pm
Here's my 5c on the starting 11 in Sept:

Randolph
Coleman, Duffy, Egan, Stevens
McCarthy
Doherty Hendrick
McGoldrick
Long Connolly

I've a feeling he'll get Doherty out there somehow.
Connolly to offer width and a goal threat from the left while Long will be more central with Doherty pushing on outside him to offer width on the right.
McG acting as a #10 and coming deep which will work better with Connolly and Long ahead of him for stretches.
The midfield limitations are there to be seen, however, with the main two being supported by a wing-back and a 2nd striker.  A lot of pressure on McCarthy in this 11.

As for subs, well, it's the NL so we can go mad and try out the likes of Molumby and Knight and even Smallbone (I know he's been talked about for the 21's but they have no game in Sept so why not?).

While these two NL games can be seen as something of a testing ground for formations and players, with a critical qualifier coming up straight after we need to be looking to get the starting 11 nailed down ASAP with some cohesion so I expect the 11 that start v Bulgaria and Finland to not vary too much.

AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

OK look, kenny is taking too long so I'm going to pick the starting line up myself.

Randolph 

Doherty    Long    Egan    Stevens 

Mccarthy Molumby Cullen 

Long Mcgoldrick Connolly 

Doherty as a wing back =😎
Doherty as a full back =😳

“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 4:06pm
Travers must have a great chance of regular Championship football next season with Ramsdale going to Sheffield United. O'Hara should also get a club at that level, Kelleher needs a loan but I have heard no info about one. No immediate threat to Randolph but he will lack match sharpness as a bench warmer at West Ham. Travers may emerge as a contender more quickly than the others.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Bit of a selection headache with the goalkeepers it seems, I thimk Randolph will keep his place for the short term but hes unlikely to see first team football for a while now.

Any thoughts on the next keeper to come in for the number 1 Jersey?

A few players as contenders but no one playing regularly at club level 

Travers, Kelleher, ohara?

Ramsdale moving which will happen (if not Sheffield then there’s always clubs looking for keepers and he’s young and English) is important Travers will play for them then and get rolling. O’Hara might get a Championship move too as well we need them playing Championship football at least if Randolph gets injured it’s hard to find one that isn’t a kid/only playing League 1 so far. Is Westwood still available for selection?
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 3:42pm
Bit of a selection headache with the goalkeepers it seems, I thimk Randolph will keep his place for the short term but hes unlikely to see first team football for a while now.

Any thoughts on the next keeper to come in for the number 1 Jersey?

A few players as contenders but no one playing regularly at club level 

Travers, Kelleher, ohara?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 126>
  Share Topic