You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

John Aldridge v Portugal 1995.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 1:21pm
Even if only half of that is true, he sounds like a right w**ker and ruined a poor young lads life.

Would like to hear Aldo's version though.

I did see a bit of that sort of treatment of players as a schoolboy when the manager would be picking their kid over a clearly better player and would be quite critical of them at times. That was under 13's!
Sponsored Links

Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

Was stuck down the West that week & watched this in a pub in Sligo which I remember had a sign on the Ladies toilet 'No need to be here'
WXXXXXs the lot of them.

Couto had been in Aldridge's face all night - one of the better results of that campaign all down hill after the Harry Ramsden challenge.
Remember it lashed for the return in Portugal and we got stuffed had to thank the North for that chance against the Dutch.

Anfield was one of the greatest days of my life - the atmosphere on the Kop & all day around Liverpool was amazing helped by the Dutch fans also - I still have a Utrecht hat from that day.
Went over on the boat from Dun Laoighre & every time I here Peace Boat by the Pogues reminds me of that journey. 

Although I always think the fateful night against England had an effect on the team.
Lichtenstein was a disaster RTE even had Ger Canning in the commentary box - disaster.

I remember is was a lovely balmy evening for April and a real sense of optimism before the game that we would deal with Portugal on the night. Quite a celebration when that goal went in. 

I have the same hoodoo feeling whenever Jimmy McGee was commentating, he managed to cover both the Italy and Holland knock out matches in 90 and 94 where we went out. I'd much rather takes my chances with Oh No Danger Here Hamilton. 
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 3:15pm
We simply don't know the other side of that story.

Maybe that was the way Aldo was initiated into the game and he felt it had strengthened him mentally. Maybe Aldo thought he was testing the lad mentally and maybe Aldo thought the lad was weak.

That certainly wouldn't excuse it but it might explain some of it.

Or maybe it's all nonsense.
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Dire game from what I remember

Dunno if we were at the same game as I remember it being a great match! It was a long time ago though so I could well be mistaken.
Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 3:36pm
The goal was scrappy but I do remember when it came just before half time that we deserved it as we battered them at times. Cant remember much of the second. Highlights are on youtube btw
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 3:50pm
I wouldn't take any notice of the Laws thing, part and parcel of the game, I would like to here his response to the other lad's accusations though, or even the side of another player who was at Tranmere at the time.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 7:28pm
Shocking story. 

But a quick google search finds that the only sites that this stroy is discussed is on football forums. 

So is any of it even true? No newspapers have it - You'd have thought a story like this would have gottten plenty of media coverage, and Taylor would have done plenty of interviews. 

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 9:00pm
That was tiring reading that nonsense it sounded like a political broadcast for Birkenhead! We don't really care about that place and it's hard working environment and what it does and doesn't like thank you!

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 22 Jan 2017 at 9:01pm
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 10:06am
Yeah rememeber Aldo doing that as well - and because I was around 12/13 at the time absolutely loving it. LOL

I also found it interesting to see USA's Brian McBride do something very similar to Couto in the 2002 World Cup. I'd imagine Couto is just a bit of a pr*ck for the smack-talk and the likes during games.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic