You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Callum Robinson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 53>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Now we get to the Crux of your opinions.  He cant win with you. 

Don't give me that. Guy plays underage football for England up to 21's. If he had been turning in performances like yesterday more often than not, you're telling me he couldn't have been an England potential?

I've no time for the dual nationality nonsense talk. I'm just being realistic here. 

Can we be honest with ourselves? He's not good enough to play for England, which is why he's playing for us. The reasons why he isn't playing for England are the reasons why he will frustrate us for the rest of his international career. Not everything is an agenda.
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 3:30pm

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

He's 26 now and hit a point this season where he was playing under 23's football as he couldn't get into a team that is all but relegated. 

I'm not doubting Callum's potential (capability probably a better word at his age), I just think we have to be pragmatic and accept that Callum is going to be a player that, more often than not, we won't be able to rely on. It's unfortunate, cause on his day..

Judging on his performances for Kenny so far he is one of the first names on the team sheet in my opinion.  We lack serious alternatives.

Definitely. 

I wouldn't have had him anywhere near our starting line up going into these qualifiers given his anonymous performances so far for Ireland but thought he did very well for someone that hasn't been playing at all for the last few months. 

The first goal was top class and a very difficult finish. Fantastic technique. 

He has to be a guaranteed starter for the rest of the campaign. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 3:31pm
this forum has been great down the years but it’s gone to f**k .
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

He's 26 now and hit a point this season where he was playing under 23's football as he couldn't get into a team that is all but relegated. 

I'm not doubting Callum's potential (capability probably a better word at his age), I just think we have to be pragmatic and accept that Callum is going to be a player that, more often than not, we won't be able to rely on. It's unfortunate, cause on his day..

Judging on his performances for Kenny so far he is one of the first names on the team sheet in my opinion.  We lack serious alternatives.

Definitely. 

I wouldn't have had him anywhere near our starting line up going into these qualifiers given his anonymous performances so far for Ireland but thought he did very well for someone that hasn't been playing at all for the last few months. 

He should be a guaranteed starter if he's putting the performances in. It's this attitude that had Hendrick in the team for the last 2 years. 

Yes, I get it. We don't have the pool of players to pick a team on form, but there comes a point where you have to draw a line.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 3:39pm
well said gufct.  A lad declares for Ireland and plays well in a number of games for us under a new manager while many are not playing well.  He then follows up those decent performances with a brace against Chelsea, his first goals in ages and people are having a pop and saying if he was good he wouldn’t be playing for us anyway.  

We have an Irish lad who is patchy in his form and is a marginal premier league player.  No more no less. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 3:40pm

Definitely. 

He should be a guaranteed starter if he's putting the performances in. It's this attitude that had Hendrick in the team for the last 2 years. 

Yes, I get it. We don't have the pool of players to pick a team on form, but there comes a point where you have to draw a line.

What’s your issue with Robinson.  There are far more players who are deserving of your ire than Robinson is.  Why singling him out.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 3:51pm

Definitely. 

What’s your issue with Robinson.  There are far more players who are deserving of your ire than Robinson is.  Why singling him out.  

I have beef with plenty of Irish players,  my issue is not Robinson at all. It's the love in I have an issue with. Like a bad relationship someone keeps going back to. Give Callum his dues for this performance, but accept that he can't be relied upon.

I want nothing more than Callum, or any Irish player at that, to rip it up, even on a semi permanent basis, but history tells a lot, and history tells us that Callum (after showing obvious talent and capability against a top side, which he has done before), will drift back to his more consistent form that is poor to so-so. He's 26. His patterns of form are fairly evident to see. I don't see why that will suddenly change now. 
geansaí View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geansaí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 3:53pm
Robinson declared for Ireland just after turning 23, and on the back of two decent championship seasons that saw him touted as someone who could potentially make a move to the premiership. 
He was by no means close to the England team but it wasn't a door that was closed to him at the time. 

It was considered a big coup at the time when he declared for Ireland and I remember a few in the English media saying he should wait another year or two before committing to Ireland.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 4:08pm
The irony rhat he wasn't even eligible in the first place but slipped through the net. 

He does look like he's enjoying his decision in playing for ireland and hopefully we can see more performances like the Serbia game
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

The irony rhat he wasn't even eligible in the first place but slipped through the net. 

He does look like he's enjoying his decision in playing for ireland and hopefully we can see more performances like the Serbia game

Out of that Villa team that won the youth European cup, it’s amazing that Robinson ended up playing for us. Mikey Drennan, Graeme Burke, and somebody called Jack Grealish were the core
of our interest at the time 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 5:35pm
that’s typical of the drop off from youth level to first team .
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Can you expand on that bit about his been eligible just for us that might not know what you mean??
I love beer gardens
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 6:03pm
Robinson qualifies for us through a Monaghan born granny. But at the time he declared the rules stated that, if you qualified through a grandparent and had represented another country competitively as an underage international, you had to already be a citizen of the country you were switching to when you won your first competitive international cap for your existing country.

So in Robinson's case, under the rules at the time, he needed to have had applied for and received his Irish passport/citizenship before he first played for England underage in order to be eligible to switch to us in future. But he hadn't applied so he wasn't an Irish citizen at that stage. So he shouldn't have been allowed to switch by FIFA a few years later when he wanted to. However, nobody noticed and the English FA didn't object, so the switch went through and he played for us.

The rules have since changed and he is actually now eligible for us under the new rules. But he technically wasn't for the first couple of years that he played for us.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Robinson qualifies for us through a Monaghan born granny. But at the time he declared the rules stated that, if you qualified through a grandparent and had represented another country competitively as an underage international, you had to already be a citizen of the country you were switching to when you won your first competitive international cap for your existing country.

So in Robinson's case, under the rules at the time, he needed to have had applied for and received his Irish passport/citizenship before he first played for England underage in order to be eligible to switch to us in future. But he hadn't applied so he wasn't an Irish citizen at that stage. So he shouldn't have been allowed to switch by FIFA a few years later when he wanted to. However, nobody noticed and the English FA didn't object, so the switch went through and he played for us.

The rules have since changed and he is actually now eligible for us under the new rules. But he technically wasn't for the first couple of years that he played for us.

Thumbs Up
I love beer gardens
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 1:26pm

Now we get to the Crux of your opinions.  He cant win with you. 

Don't give me that. Guy plays underage football for England up to 21's. If he had been turning in performances like yesterday more often than not, you're telling me he couldn't have been an England potential?

I've no time for the dual nationality nonsense talk. I'm just being realistic here. 

Can we be honest with ourselves? He's not good enough to play for England, which is why he's playing for us. The reasons why he isn't playing for England are the reasons why he will frustrate us for the rest of his international career. Not everything is an agenda.

There have been heaps of players not good enough for England playing for us down the years, every single player pulling on an Irish shirt will frustrate us at some point, the type of player Robinson is means he will probably frustrate us more than most because he's in an attacking part of the pitch and he will give balls away and miss chances etc. I don't think anyone is expecting him to be Damien Duff but he's clearly got talent and seems to really enjoy being part of the Irish squad so I don't really see the point in bringing up whether he's good enough for England or not

Far as I can tell his biggest problem can be decision making, sometimes he takes the wrong option. But that first goal at the weekend was one of the best finishes you'll see all year at any level. Hopefully he can kick on the rest of the season but Allardyce hasn't fancied him, I think because of how he has set WBA up more than anything necessarily to do with Robinson. 
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 11:32pm

The Athletic did an article recently where they told the story of Robinson and Jack Grealish being best mates and playing for England and Ireland underage respectively before swapping places. It makes for depressing reading: https://theathletic.com/2189309/2020/11/10/grealish-and-robinson-the-best-friends-who-switched-international-allegiance?source=user-shared-article

I didn't know that Reece James was eligible. 
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 7:30pm
Scored again, o'shea playing well too
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Scored again, o'shea playing well too

Tidy finish, seems to have his confidence back
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 53>
  Share Topic