Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Callum Robinson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 53>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 10:46am
I just don't get the reference to Rice in praising Robinson. If he was good enough, he'd be playing for England as well.
Sponsored Links

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Agree, but would it be different if he was good enough to play for England?

You could say that about any English born player who has ever played for us. Mick McCarthy openly admitted that he would have rather played for England. Townsend was shouting for England at Euro 88 and playing against them in Italia 90. Other players have been more coy and said the opportunity never arose. I think Kilbane and O'Leary are the only players who actually declined interest from England.

Did this happen?

Agree with most of the post though, it's very easy for former players to give their opinions on choosing us over England when in reality, how many of them would have been able to get into those England teams. 

Glad to have Robinson on board, but it shows the level we've fallen to when we're pinning our hopes on a Championship level (for now) player.

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

You could say that about any English born player who has ever played for us. Mick McCarthy openly admitted that he would have rather played for England. Townsend was shouting for England at Euro 88 and playing against them in Italia 90. Other players have been more coy and said the opportunity never arose. I think Kilbane and O'Leary are the only players who actually declined interest from England.

Did this happen?

Agree with most of the post though, it's very easy for former players to give their opinions on choosing us over England when in reality, how many of them would have been able to get into those England teams. 

Glad to have Robinson on board, but it shows the level we've fallen to when we're pinning our hopes on a Championship level (for now) player.

Yep, I specifically remember him saying it in a 2001 interview but I think he's on the record a few times in saying it
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

With all the fuss about Rice, there is something to be said for the way Robinson went about his business, declared an interest, turned up for a squad meet & friendly, got his paperwork in order & all with a minimum of fuss. Welcome Callum, & best of luck. 

Well said, this is actually the first I have heard of him. 
My interest in the Ireland team is at the lowest of the lowest I can remember though. 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 1:43pm
Strange that nobody else on the board can remember Mick saying this
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 1:46pm
Utter BS.

Mick was of the Zinidine Kilbane mindset.
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

He never dodged the question when he was asked. I can't account for anyone else's lack of memory on the subject

DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 2:40pm

Alan McLoughlin did too. in his autobiography he talks about being called up to both England 'B' and Ireland 'B' at the same time. He said as soon as the letter arrived from FAI there was no further thought on the subject
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 2:47pm

He never dodged the question when he was asked. I can't account for anyone else's lack of memory on the subject

I'm not saying it didn't happen, I'm saying that it's strange that only one person can remember the manager of the Irish team saying in 2001 that he would have played for England.

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 2:53pm
I never recall Mick saying he wanted to play for England.
Reading today that McAteer said he turned down England.
Fanny MaGee View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fanny MaGee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

I never recall Mick saying he wanted to play for England.
Reading today that McAteer said he turned down England.

I remember that. It was Jimmy Armfield that asked him to play for England and he went mental in a press interview when McAteer said no.
Ask MaGee
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 2:58pm

I'm not saying it didn't happen, I'm saying that it's strange that only one person can remember the manager of the Irish team saying in 2001 that he would have played for England.

Fair enough.

He was asked in the interview if he didn't mind clarifying; would he have rather played for England. He replied quick as anything that he did mind and the journalist could f*** off. Journalist goes bright red and Mick says that in all seriousness he was born in England and had he been given the option of playing for England he would have jumped at the chance but the reality was they were never interested.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 4:59pm
Again, nobody else remembers this interview, nor has it ever been mentioned on this, or any other, forum.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 3:14pm
Has just put Preston 1-0 up.
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Starting with Burke and Browne
ShaneH10 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaneH10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Starting with Burke and Browne

Browne gets the second. 2-0.
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 4:05pm
Is there a chance all three of them could start against Wales? They are all on form the past few weeks.
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 2:30am
Yes, and given the fact that Mick missed out on being the best man at his brother’s wedding to make his debut (in a friendly) it seems somewhat unlikely 

Edited by Fitz - 06 Sep 2018 at 2:31am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 53>
  Share Topic