FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Callum Robinson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 53>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2023 at 9:48pm
Scores vs Birmingham, helps them out of the relegation zone.
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 6:54pm
4 goals in 20 games this season for a poor side whose manager got sacked, not long after criticising the attitude of players like Robinson. WBA go from relegation candidates to a team chasing promotion after removing dreck like Robinson from the side. A grand total of 6 goals across 44 games in two abortive spells in the Premier League. 7 goals in 43 games last season. Has only scored against minnows for Ireland and has produced consistently mediocre performances.

Would you honestly expect this much stubbornness and facile ignorance of the facts, along with constant manipulations of stats, from one or two people if it was said that we should be looking past players like Andy Keogh?

Because that's the equivalent to the player Robinson is in terms of impact internationally and at PL level; a Championship journeyman. At least Keogh scored against a half decent German side.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 19 Jan 2023 at 6:55pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Can't have Robinson as a footballer at all. A total nothing player who adds zero to our team. 

What you talking about? He’s quick, a good dribbler, good control, a creative passer and a decent finisher off either foot.
 LOL But he has 5 goal involvements!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Let's be straight about his contributions.

3 goals vs Qatar (friendly)
1 goal vs New Zealand (friendly)
1 goal vs Malta (friendly and had it gifted to him)
1 good assist vs Serbia
2 goals vs Azerbaijan
1 goal vs Luxembourg (when the game was already over).

Use as many stats as you like, but those are the facts. He's crap and even worse when it's him and Ogbene together having a competition on who can make the most terrible decisions in 90 minutes.

If it's that easy, then why isn't every player doing it?

These are the actual facts -
His record in the Championship and for Ireland are very good (goal or assist every 162 and 206 minutes respectively).
Even his EPL record is respectable (goal or assist every 285 minutes).

Can you explain how it would be possible for a "crap player" who "constantly makes the wrong decision" to actually be making the right decisions that regularly at the highest level? I suspect you can't, because it's just nonsensical.

For years we've had strikers who were good in many ways but completely deficient at getting the ball into the net - now we have Robinson who is clearly quite good at either doing it himself or creating the chance for others to - yet you still can't appreciate what's right in front of you.

Edited by The O'Shea - 19 Jan 2023 at 5:52pm
We're decent enough..
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 5:22pm
Let's be straight about his contributions.

3 goals vs Qatar (friendly)
1 goal vs New Zealand (friendly)
1 goal vs Malta (friendly and had it gifted to him)
1 good assist vs Serbia
2 goals vs Azerbaijan
1 goal vs Luxembourg (when the game was already over).

Use as many stats as you like, but those are the facts. He's crap and even worse when it's him and Ogbene together having a competition on who can make the most terrible decisions in 90 minutes.

Edited by SeaSharp - 19 Jan 2023 at 5:25pm
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

I never get the Robinson hatred, he's our only player consistently scoring goals the past 3 years.

He's technically better than most of the current crop and is more than just a squad player. He's got us out of jail on a few occasions (Azerbaijan & Malta)

Indeed, there's a very peculiar trend on here where it's our best performing players who get the most needle, simply because they aren't world class/were born in the wrong place/don't have the right age profile etc. Robinson has pretty consistently been the most creative attacking player on show under Kenny (even going back as far as the dark last days under MON, he was the one player who looked like he offered some invention in attack), and he's backed that up with 8 goals in 3 years for a team that has rarely been prolific. Gets scant appreciation for that good return though.
He's been consistently muck aside from his Qatar/Azerbaijan purple patch. He's got pretty poor footballing intelligence. Always giving the ball away in the final third, usually due to making the wrong decision. One to play against the minnows but doesn't offer enough against good sides. As others have mentioned, what's he actually good at? 

Again, the stats just don't back that up. He's got 9 goal involvements in 1860 minutes for Ireland (1 every 206 minutes). Whether you like it or not, the argument that he isn't making decisive attacking contributions (for club or country) on a regular basis completely collapses under even the slightest scrutiny. So the very obvious answer to the utterly stupid question of "what is he good at" is scoring and assisting goals (ie the primary job of a wide attacker).

What's he good at, eh goal contributions.........
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 5:02pm

I never get the Robinson hatred, he's our only player consistently scoring goals the past 3 years.

He's technically better than most of the current crop and is more than just a squad player. He's got us out of jail on a few occasions (Azerbaijan & Malta)

Indeed, there's a very peculiar trend on here where it's our best performing players who get the most needle, simply because they aren't world class/were born in the wrong place/don't have the right age profile etc. Robinson has pretty consistently been the most creative attacking player on show under Kenny (even going back as far as the dark last days under MON, he was the one player who looked like he offered some invention in attack), and he's backed that up with 8 goals in 3 years for a team that has rarely been prolific. Gets scant appreciation for that good return though.
He's been consistently muck aside from his Qatar/Azerbaijan purple patch. He's got pretty poor footballing intelligence. Always giving the ball away in the final third, usually due to making the wrong decision. One to play against the minnows but doesn't offer enough against good sides. As others have mentioned, what's he actually good at? 

Again, the stats just don't back that up. He's got 9 goal involvements in 1860 minutes for Ireland (1 every 206 minutes). Whether you like it or not, the argument that he isn't making decisive attacking contributions (for club or country) on a regular basis completely collapses under even the slightest scrutiny. So the very obvious answer to the utterly stupid question of "what is he good at" is scoring and assisting goals (ie the primary job of a wide attacker).
We're decent enough..
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 4:51pm

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 4:13pm

We're decent enough..
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 4:08pm
Robinson should be in the squad, wether he starts or not is a different story. People questioning the goals he scored for us and the quality of the opposition while mentioning the likes of Idah, Ogbene etc is strange.

Idah started against Azerbaijan, done nothing and was taken off when Robinson had scored twice already at that stage.

Ogbene started against Malta with Robinson scoring, albeit an absolute gift.

He's no world beater but we're not exactly flush up front. It would be crazy to leave him out of the squad.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 3:50pm

"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Can't have Robinson as a footballer at all. A total nothing player who adds zero to our team. 

What you talking about? He’s quick, a good dribbler, good control, a creative passer and a decent finisher off either foot.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 3:41pm
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 2:39pm

HH is spot on, Ogbene, Obafemi and  Ferguson have so much more quality and have actual strong attributes, what is Robinson actually good at? He’s not quick, strong, good at dribbling and not a great finisher either.

But he’s a fine player? How?

Because he is quick, a good dribbler, good control, a creative passer, and a decent finisher off either boot? LOL He's light years ahead of Ogbene in terms of technique, Ogbene is just faster and stronger. Ferguson and Obafemi we all obviously hope will end up much better than either of the aforementioned (and they have the ability to be), but as of yet they are young players with development to do.

Haha you’re a funny guy.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 2:24pm

HH is spot on, Ogbene, Obafemi and  Ferguson have so much more quality and have actual strong attributes, what is Robinson actually good at? He’s not quick, strong, good at dribbling and not a great finisher either.

Yeah. In addition to that, his link-up play is generally abysmal, particularly in the last few games. Moves constantly breaking down whenever the ball came to him. For that reason, it's definitely worth giving the Parrott/Obafemi partnership time to thrive or seeing how Ferguson or Obafemi would work together or basically anything else. I wouldn't have him starting in any of the forward permutations. It's time we moved past this mediocrity. If it was someone like Long, Doyle or Walters who had a bit of presence, holdup play or leadership to pass on, fair enough, but I don't see what he offers at present or a pathway for him to improve. He's had plenty of chances at PL and International level and he's just not up to the standard. Give lads like Idah the pathway seeing as we're on a hiding to nothing in this group anyway.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 2:17pm

Because he is quick, a good dribbler, good control, a creative passer, and a decent finisher off either boot? LOL He's light years ahead of Ogbene in terms of technique, Ogbene is just faster and stronger. Ferguson and Obafemi we all obviously hope will end up much better than either of the aforementioned (and they have the ability to be), but as of yet they are young players with development to do.
We're decent enough..
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 2:01pm
For me CRob is one of the the less questionable squad picks.  I'm not even a fan really. He's no superstar and shouldn't be a starter but has better end product than many attacking players we have. I hope some more of our talented youngsters pass him but I think he still gets picked as a squad member easily for now.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Look I've already said he's no world beater, but he has 8 in 34 for Ireland (0.24 per game) which stands up favourably against Quinn (0.23), Cascarino (0.22), Long (0.20) and Doyle (0.22). He has also rarely led the line for Ireland and has rarely played full 90 minute stints in those 34 caps (I'd like to see his goals per minute record). Connolly, Idah, Will Keane and Hogan have yet to score for Ireland in the 40 odd games they have been involved in.
Remind me. What teams did he score against for us? He has a goal every 300 minutes this season in the league for Cardiff and WBA. Averages about 1 in 6 at Championship level. Previous teams (Sheffield United and WBA) look far better when he's not in the team. Now he's part of an absolutely sh*te Cardiff team (water finds its own level). IDC how many assist assists he has or how many times he was the last player to touch a ball before a teammate scored! James McClean has the same amount of assists this season. Nobody is asking for him to still be in the side! We need to start looking past players who've had ample time to perform for us and haven't. He's a modern day Simon Cox.

You didn't address one of John's ponts in that response.
Not a one.

For what it's worth, I'd rather we were past starting a lad like Robinson, but we are where we are and we can't magic up forwards from thin air.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 53>
  Share Topic