Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Confederations Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 8:13pm
Nope two tomorrow and one on Monday at 4p bells
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 4:25pm
Goal ruled out with TV ref
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 5:53pm
I had a bet on 2 2 £28 better off.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 5:55pm
Descent end to Portugal Mexico there . Need to have the ref microphoned up like rugby so we no what's going on with the video ref
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 6:10pm
Disagree with Didi on video technology. Overall I'd be in favour and think people will get used to it quickly.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Disagree with Didi on video technology. Overall I'd be in favour and think people will get used to it quickly.
What did he say on it?
I think it is going to be a complete farce, the more I think about it the surer I am!
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 6:30pm
The Cameroon players seem a nice quiet bunch.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

What did he say on it?
I think it is going to be a complete farce, the more I think about it the surer I am!

Pretty much what you're saying, that it will slow games down and spoil the entertainment factor.

Brian Kerr strongly disagreed with him though and says any new system would have teething problems and take time to bed in. He pointed out too that football has always had controversial rule changes that were initially unpopular.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 7:13pm

What did he say on it?

Pretty much what you're saying, that it will slow games down and spoil the entertainment factor.

Brian Kerr strongly disagreed with him though and says any new system would have teething problems and take time to bed in. He pointed out too that football has always had controversial rule changes that were initially unpopular.
That isn't really my problem as I think it will speed up a bit over time. I think the biggest problem is how it is being implemented, which seems bizarre and the fact that so many incidents in football are subjective and will cause more confusion. I think that if it was for offside decisions and things that are clear cut then fine.
Look at the Varane incident against England, I have seen loads of debate from people, including former referees, who are unsure if a red card was right or not! All that effort and there will still be doubt. 
The Limerick penalty incident the other night is another one, I have watched 10 or 12 times and I still don't know if Ogbene is very clever and catches his leg on McNulty or vice-versa. SO many of the big calls, the ones debated in the press and in the pubs are subjective. This won't change that.
I also think, as the Portugal second goal shows, referees will go to it far too quickly when they should trust their own judgement.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 7:49pm
Don't bother with offsides either! This is farcical, well done FIFA!Clap
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 7:51pm
It's off. I called it on the first replay. Right decision again.

I'm 100% supportive of the VAR. There's too much revenue and honour on the line to be put at risk of human error. We need to have the right decision and if it takes a few extra seconds, I'm fine with it, even if a decision goes against me. What rush are people in? Better that than years of grudges resulting from the wrong decision given.

Now we finally have it, there has already been a dramatic reduction in diving and cheating going on. Significant reduction in pushing and shoving at corners too. This works and is a long overdue aid that will revolutionise the game.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 7:59pm
Clearly onside. Farcical
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 8:50pm
Ridiculous
tribalarmy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 8:59pm
VAR has my full support for the Confederations Cup. Adding a lot of entertainment.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 9:03pm
No silly lines on ITV there for Sanchez when he looked far more offside than Vargas was. It is an absolute farce.

Edited by pre Madonna - 18 Jun 2017 at 9:09pm
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 9:31pm
This VAR needs a hell of a lot of work ! You woundlt have a clue what was going on in the stadium
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 11:32pm

What did he say on it?

That isn't really my problem as I think it will speed up a bit over time. I think the biggest problem is how it is being implemented, which seems bizarre and the fact that so many incidents in football are subjective and will cause more confusion. I think that if it was for offside decisions and things that are clear cut then fine.
Look at the Varane incident against England, I have seen loads of debate from people, including former referees, who are unsure if a red card was right or not! All that effort and there will still be doubt. 
The Limerick penalty incident the other night is another one, I have watched 10 or 12 times and I still don't know if Ogbene is very clever and catches his leg on McNulty or vice-versa. SO many of the big calls, the ones debated in the press and in the pubs are subjective. This won't change that.
I also think, as the Portugal second goal shows, referees will go to it far too quickly when they should trust their own judgement.

I think it is going to be have to fine tuned and they will have to draw up a very precise list of what can and cannot be ruled on. There is no need for every single goal to be sent upstairs to be reviewed, it should be at the discretion of the referee to refer it up. Just because there are early teething problems doesn't mean it couldn't work in time.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 11:58pm
But why did he go upstairs for the Soares goal? And why not for the Cameroon goal? When the assistant's flag goes up, defenders will be automatically put off and no amount of saying 'play to the whistle' will change that. I just don't think football has the flow for it to work in the way it does for rugby and it will only lead to more controversy. 
I know it is topical because of the trial, but all anyone is discussing after 3 games of the tournament is VAR and nearly all of it negative.
I am not against the introduction of video assistance, but how it has been implemented and is being used is beyond farcical. I would have suggested that simply having a decent monitor in front of the fourth official and a connection to the ref and any major f**k up would be pulled up immediately; if it is that big a gaffe it should be seen on the first replay and be done in 30 seconds. Instead, we have to have the FIFA grand drama of absolute chaos and nobody has an idea what is going on. I fully expect them to persist with it though and the VAR to be sponsored by Mastercard and Hyundai next summer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
  Share Topic