Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Confederations Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Who gives a f**k about the Confederations Cup semi final lads.

Ronaldo has won almost everything worth winning in the game, and scored in most finals, semi finals, quarter finals etc.

And that's coming from me who hates the c**t

That's not in dispute 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 9:37am

The argument is he isn't a leader because he was due to take the 5th penalty in a confederations cup semi final?

How many real leaders are left in the game these days. I assume you are talking about those of the Roy Keane, Bobby Moore ilk?

I think scoring in almost every quarter, semi and final would do me in the leadership front if I was a fan of any of his teams.

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 29 Jun 2017 at 9:37am
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 9:44am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Ronaldo is a complete me feiner. 

Agreed

The final was the perfect example where he was only concerned for himself and not trying to rally his team.

Are you talking about the Euro 2016 final - where he stood on the sideline clearly trying to rally his team?

He's a world class player but doesn't mean he's a leader. 

I disagree, ha has shown some great leadership in the past, eg encouraging a player to take a peno at last year's Euros who didn't want to take one as he had missed one in 2012.

Take off the United blinkers lads. 

Rim me Big smile

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 10:09am
Ronaldo is a leader. He carries teams on his own at times. He has basically every quality you could look for in a footballer. Listen to interviews with former teammates and you can see how much he is liked and respected.

He's one of the best players to ever play the game. I never liked him, he has played for two of my most despised teams but you cannot deny his absolute brilliance. He's the designated fifth penalty taker. That just what he does, when you're as good as he is, he can choose whatever spot kick he likes. 

Anyway, the first three penalties were absolute garbage but bizarrely some people decide to have a pop at Ronaldo instead. Confused
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 10:53am

The argument is he isn't a leader because he was due to take the 5th penalty in a confederations cup semi final?

How many real leaders are left in the game these days. I assume you are talking about those of the Roy Keane, Bobby Moore ilk?

I think scoring in almost every quarter, semi and final would do me in the leadership front if I was a fan of any of his teams.

Ronaldo is not a leader.

Everything is about him and his ego, nothing else matters.

Spends a lot of the time sulking and throwing strops on pitch even when his own team scores.

No disputing his qualities as a player.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 10:55am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Ronaldo is not a leader.

Spends a lot of the time sulking and throwing strops on pitch even when his own team scores.

To describe him in 3 words would be as follows .
 Me , Myself , I .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 10:59am
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

The penalty decision was crazy. Why the Chile player didn't insist the ref to look at it.
I'm glad the Chileans didn't because if they did and the ref relented to ask for a review we would basically be back to mob rule where you would have players ganging up on the referee to hound him to go to the VAR.

Having said that, it deffo should have been a pen. Why did the VAR not recommend a review? Apparently they are allowed to do so.

Well there should be some way off players to ask the ref to review something, either it be by the manager who says it to the 4th official who then says to ref who then has a look.

I know this may not work in say real time instances but it would have last night because ball went out of play.

Maybe it could work like tennis were each team would have 3 challenges.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 11:00am

Ronaldo is not a leader.

I think he showed decent leadership for the Poland game he encouraged Moutinho to take a penalty when he was hiding away.
mike74 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 11:07am
Have any of you ever taken a penalty? There is far more pressure on the later pens than the first ones ffs.. teams often go on and win shoot outs after missing the first penalty.. they never win after missing the last one.. any teams I've ever been involved with the striker nearly always wants the last one.. the lads who aren't as sure go earleir..

talk about looking for a reason to have a pop at a player.. too much listening to pundits I reckon for some of ye..

Edited by mike74 - 29 Jun 2017 at 11:10am
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 11:15am
Think people are reading far too much into a penalty shoot out in a friendly competition.

ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 11:16am

Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

The penalty decision was crazy. Why the Chile player didn't insist the ref to look at it.
I'm glad the Chileans didn't because if they did and the ref relented to ask for a review we would basically be back to mob rule where you would have players ganging up on the referee to hound him to go to the VAR.

Having said that, it deffo should have been a pen. Why did the VAR not recommend a review? Apparently they are allowed to do so.

Well there should be some way off players to ask the ref to review something, either it be by the manager who says it to the 4th official who then says to ref who then has a look.

I know this may not work in say real time instances but it would have last night because ball went out of play.

Maybe it could work like tennis were each team would have 3 challenges.
Strangely enough, was thinking this last night - and it's the only way it would work without mob rule. And there would have to be a limit otherwise teams would be taking the p*ss out of the system and the game would be going on all night.
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by mike74 mike74 wrote:

Have any of you ever taken a penalty? There is far more pressure on the later pens than the first ones ffs.. teams often go on and win shoot outs after missing the first penalty.. they never win after missing the last one.. any teams I've ever been involved with the striker nearly always wants the last one.. the lads who aren't as sure go earleir...
I was the opposite, I always wanted my best taker to go first (see Sheedy, Lineker, Baggio, Ronaldo, Zidane, Shearer, Brehme, Stojkovic, Hagi etc).

You will always get the chance to take the first peno but you may never get the chance to take the fifth, as happened with CRonaldo twice now.

Edited by Gary McKay - 29 Jun 2017 at 12:03pm
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:15pm
Talking about Ronaldo he has now left the Portugal camp to be with his newly born twins from a surrogate mother.

That's his second time having kids via surrogate I know he has a girlfriend but I seriously have a feeling that Ol' Cristiano prefers to play in the mud rather then the blood. Wink

Edited by lassassinblanc - 29 Jun 2017 at 12:16pm
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:18pm
I always put my hand up for the first peno. Even if a bit nervous, I pretend to be absolutely sure that I'm gonna score and I'm vocal about it. It psychologically helps get me in a better mindset and gives a positive vibe when we're discussing who is gonna take one. Nothing worse than the manager pleading with lads to step up. 

So, effectively what I'm saying is that I'm a superior leader to Ronaldo and I can't wait to receive my Ballon D'Or
El Puto Amo
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Ronaldo is not a leader.
He wins matches for his teams, makes his teammates better. Couldn't care less what hair gel he uses or what his six pack looks like, that's what I want from a leader, actions far louder than words
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:43pm
Cant believe ppl defend that decision last night.

Portugal lost a shootout with 3 poors pens and they had Christiano f**king Ronaldo in the huddle on the halfway line who didnt even take one. What a waste.

Dont know why the manager indulged his ego.

He hangs on for the 5th pen knowing that it offers him a chance of hogging the limelight.
Sometimes that backfires.

At 2-0 down the manager should have insisted he go next.

It really is inexcusable that he didnt take a penalty, there is no argument there.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Cant believe ppl defend that decision last night.

Portugal lost a shootout with 3 poors pens and they had Christiano f**king Ronaldo in the huddle on the halfway line who didnt even take one. What a waste.

Dont know why the manager indulged his ego.

He hangs on for the 5th pen knowing that it offers him a chance of hogging the limelight.
Sometimes that backfires.

At 2-0 down the manager should have insisted he go next.

It really is inexcusable that he didnt take a penalty, there is no argument there.
Clap
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by mike74 mike74 wrote:

Have any of you ever taken a penalty? There is far more pressure on the later pens than the first ones ffs.. teams often go on and win shoot outs after missing the first penalty.. they never win after missing the last one.. any teams I've ever been involved with the striker nearly always wants the last one.. the lads who aren't as sure go earleir...
I was the opposite, I always wanted my best taker to go first (see Sheedy, Lineker, Baggio, Ronaldo, Zidane, Shearer, Brehme, Stojkovic, Hagi etc).

You will always get the chance to take the first peno but you may never get the chance to take the fifth, as happened with CRonaldo twice now.

Agree. I loved taking pens and always went first in shoot outs. As the normal pen taker,  I took it as a personal responsibility to take and score the first one to get the team off to a good start.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
  Share Topic