FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Confederations Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 2:07pm

We have had many variants of the same discussion on here over the years. 

1) Yes, Ronaldo is a superb player. It's fair to call him a true great at this stage.
2) Yes, he is an egomaniac and wants all the limelight.
3) He leads by example through the level of his performances. 
4) He is a total penis
El Puto Amo
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Cant believe ppl defend that decision last night.

Portugal lost a shootout with 3 poors pens and they had Christiano f**king Ronaldo in the huddle on the halfway line who didnt even take one. What a waste.

Dont know why the manager indulged his ego.

He hangs on for the 5th pen knowing that it offers him a chance of hogging the limelight.
Sometimes that backfires.

At 2-0 down the manager should have insisted he go next.

It really is inexcusable that he didnt take a penalty, there is no argument there.

Not possible.

Correct, order of penalties need to be given before shootout

U sure?
Still inexcusable that they risked not having him take one.

LOL
FFS it was the confederations cup.

Suppose you're on tenterhooks anticipating the start of the Emirates Cup in a few weeks?
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Talking about Ronaldo he has now left the Portugal camp to be with his newly born twins from a surrogate mother.

That's his second time having kids via surrogate I know he has a girlfriend but I seriously have a feeling that Ol' Cristiano prefers to play in the mud rather then the blood. Wink

What a post, welcome back to the Dark Ages.
"prefers to play in the mud"
There's a job for you with the DUP somewhere.

It's a joke jeez lighten up will ya.
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 1:50pm

Talking about Ronaldo he has now left the Portugal camp to be with his newly born twins from a surrogate mother.

That's his second time having kids via surrogate I know he has a girlfriend but I seriously have a feeling that Ol' Cristiano prefers to play in the mud rather then the blood. Wink

What a post, welcome back to the Dark Ages.
"prefers to play in the mud"
There's a job for you with the DUP somewhere.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 1:31pm
Yeah, the order must be decided on and can only be changed if there is an injury.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 1:29pm

Portugal lost a shootout with 3 poors pens and they had Christiano f**king Ronaldo in the huddle on the halfway line who didnt even take one. What a waste.

He hangs on for the 5th pen knowing that it offers him a chance of hogging the limelight.

It really is inexcusable that he didnt take a penalty, there is no argument there.

Not possible.

U sure?

As far as I know yes, list of takers and order from 1-11 needs to be given to Referee.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 1:19pm

Not possible.

U sure?
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 1:03pm

Not possible.

Edited by lassassinblanc - 29 Jun 2017 at 1:09pm
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:58pm
Ronaldo is a leader through his sheer incredible ability and the huge input he makes to his sides winning games, but he certainly doesn't strike me as a natural leader as such. He has probably matured a bit since 2010, but his carry on then at that year's World Cup as captain of Portugal was pretty shocking. He regularly threw little tantrums at his team mates and sulked afterwards. He appeared to do the exact opposite of a what a leader should do by making his team mates feel ten inches tall rather than ten feet. Again, he has definitely matured since then but at 25 he was hardly a nipper back then either. He's slowly developed over time into a leader of sorts, but again it appears to nearly all be based around the fact that he is streets ahead of the third best player in the world (whoever that may be) and is very much a big game performer.
As for the penalties discussion, personally I would always want my strongest players going up first as, apart from the fact they might be wasted if going nearer the end (as we saw with Ronaldo last night), you can build up a bit of momentum in shoot-outs by going ahead and therefore having less pressure on your latter takers and more importantly far more pressure on your opposition's latter takers.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:56pm

Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

The penalty decision was crazy. Why the Chile player didn't insist the ref to look at it.
I'm glad the Chileans didn't because if they did and the ref relented to ask for a review we would basically be back to mob rule where you would have players ganging up on the referee to hound him to go to the VAR.

Having said that, it deffo should have been a pen. Why did the VAR not recommend a review? Apparently they are allowed to do so.

Well there should be some way off players to ask the ref to review something, either it be by the manager who says it to the 4th official who then says to ref who then has a look.

I know this may not work in say real time instances but it would have last night because ball went out of play.

Maybe it could work like tennis were each team would have 3 challenges.
I thought that before, that one challenge per game might work. You keep the challenge if right, it would mean only challenging when absolutely certain. I don't think so now, players are convinced even when they are clearly in the wrong.
I still think they should just have the fourth official miked to the ref ad when the ref has made a very bad error the fourth official can pull him back within 30 seconds. I think it is the only way it can be done without farce and what is what should have been trialled first.

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:53pm

Not possible.

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by mike74 mike74 wrote:

Have any of you ever taken a penalty? There is far more pressure on the later pens than the first ones ffs.. teams often go on and win shoot outs after missing the first penalty.. they never win after missing the last one.. any teams I've ever been involved with the striker nearly always wants the last one.. the lads who aren't as sure go earleir...
I was the opposite, I always wanted my best taker to go first (see Sheedy, Lineker, Baggio, Ronaldo, Zidane, Shearer, Brehme, Stojkovic, Hagi etc).

You will always get the chance to take the first peno but you may never get the chance to take the fifth, as happened with CRonaldo twice now.

Agree. I loved taking pens and always went first in shoot outs. As the normal pen taker,  I took it as a personal responsibility to take and score the first one to get the team off to a good start.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:46pm

Clap
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:43pm

"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

The argument is he isn't a leader because he was due to take the 5th penalty in a confederations cup semi final?

How many real leaders are left in the game these days. I assume you are talking about those of the Roy Keane, Bobby Moore ilk?

I think scoring in almost every quarter, semi and final would do me in the leadership front if I was a fan of any of his teams.
Ronaldo is not a leader.
Everything is about him and his ego, nothing else matters.
He wins matches for his teams, makes his teammates better. Couldn't care less what hair gel he uses or what his six pack looks like, that's what I want from a leader, actions far louder than words
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:18pm
I always put my hand up for the first peno. Even if a bit nervous, I pretend to be absolutely sure that I'm gonna score and I'm vocal about it. It psychologically helps get me in a better mindset and gives a positive vibe when we're discussing who is gonna take one. Nothing worse than the manager pleading with lads to step up. 

So, effectively what I'm saying is that I'm a superior leader to Ronaldo and I can't wait to receive my Ballon D'Or
El Puto Amo
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:15pm

Edited by lassassinblanc - 29 Jun 2017 at 12:16pm
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by mike74 mike74 wrote:

Have any of you ever taken a penalty? There is far more pressure on the later pens than the first ones ffs.. teams often go on and win shoot outs after missing the first penalty.. they never win after missing the last one.. any teams I've ever been involved with the striker nearly always wants the last one.. the lads who aren't as sure go earleir...
I was the opposite, I always wanted my best taker to go first (see Sheedy, Lineker, Baggio, Ronaldo, Zidane, Shearer, Brehme, Stojkovic, Hagi etc).

You will always get the chance to take the first peno but you may never get the chance to take the fifth, as happened with CRonaldo twice now.

Edited by Gary McKay - 29 Jun 2017 at 12:03pm
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic