You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

North of Ireland Politics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8283848586 129>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

This is how I think things will play out over the next couple of weeks. Michelle will step aside temporarily for someone like John O'Dowd whilst police investigate it. Police will come back and say no laws were broken and SF tried as far as was reasonably possible to ensure strict adherence with public health guidance etc at the funeral. Michelle will then be back in post.

In other SF executive news, Deirdre Hargey who temporarily stepped aside as Communities Minister is said to have a serious illness. Hope she makes a full recovery. Only in her 40s

Did SF encourage people not to turn up in numbers or only to line the street at a social distance and not come to the graveyard etc?
Not a loaded question - Just wondering. Might have helped the optics of the situation if they had. 

Edited by Borussia - 02 Jul 2020 at 12:19pm
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

This is how I think things will play out over the next couple of weeks. Michelle will step aside temporarily for someone like John O'Dowd whilst police investigate it. Police will come back and say no laws were broken and SF tried as far as was reasonably possible to ensure strict adherence with public health guidance etc at the funeral. Michelle will then be back in post.

In other SF executive news, Deirdre Hargey who temporarily stepped aside as Communities Minister is said to have a serious illness. Hope she makes a full recovery. Only in her 40s

Did SF encourage people not to turn up in numbers or only to line the street at a social distance and not come to the graveyard etc?
Not a loaded question - Just wondering. Might have helped the optics of the situation if they had. 

They did not actively discourage people to turn up. The lining of the street from what I could observe was by SF members as well as those from The Felons and PD. They say that they made proceedings available online for those who wanted to go to watch-250k views I believe. Although I do believe if they did discourage people from turning up, they still would have shown up anyway, in fact I am pretty sure of that.

I notice William Humphrey was spotted among a huge memorial recently with no social distancing in place. Just saying
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 12:33pm

They did not actively discourage people to turn up. The lining of the street from what I could observe was by SF members as well as those from The Felons and PD. They say that they made proceedings available online for those who wanted to go to watch-250k views I believe. Although I do believe if they did discourage people from turning up, they still would have shown up anyway, in fact I am pretty sure of that.

I notice William Humphrey was spotted among a huge memorial recently with no social distancing in place. Just saying
I'm sure you are right on that. Had SF encouraged people not to show up then they could concretely have pointed to that and that might have helped them take the heat out of this current situation. 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 1:15pm
The DUP, or any of the other parties, will not collapse the NI Executive and kill the golden goose, including control over their own expenses. Apart from that option, there is no other sanction available other than the old school pantomime stuff like rotating Ministers, refusing to sign off documents , etc which the public will get heartily sick of very quickly. If the Assembly does collapse again, I cannot envisage it being put back together again. We could be looking at de facto joint authority until such time as a vote for a United Ireland goes forward. Hardly the outcome the DUP would wish for but the elements within the party who escalated this are not exactly renowned for thinking things through. I note there was an Orange march in Belfast city centre last night which hasn't featured on the mainstream media yet and the opening of the pubs tomorrow shortly before the Twelfth is also likely to exacerbate matters. There were already multiple applications in for marches before this kicked off.

Edited by Green Cockade - 02 Jul 2020 at 1:29pm
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 2:50pm
There was quite a gathering in my local town last nights as members of the OO and local Unionist councillors commentated the Somme I assume. There didn’t appear to be much social distancing going on when I drove past.

The worst case scenario for the DUP would be for them to bring down the assembly, another election will not be kind to them.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 8:44am
Sinn Fein supporter or not; you would have to agree it’s a massive own goal that will harm them in the polls. 

Mary Lou hasn’t come across well either in interviews 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 9:13am
It will do them no harm at all within their base. It might do the SDLP more harm for siding with the DUP. The extent of the over-reaction , with the likes of the usual propagandists like Stephen Nolan, the Belfast Telegraph, News Letter, etc going ape-sh*t and studiously ignoring other events , will have some effect on floating voters but it may not be the one they anticipated. As for sanctions, there are no mechanisms for any other than collapsing the Assembly which the other parties will not do. Venality will triumph over purported principle.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 10:13am
It won't alienate the base, but it is an illuminating incident, which the electorate should take note of.
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 10:26am
sweet baby Jesus LOL
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Sinn Fein supporter or not; you would have to agree it’s a massive own goal that will harm them in the polls. 

Doubtful. 2 years at the earliest until next assembly election, and in actual fact there had been talk about extending the current term of the assembly
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 10:47am
I doubt voters will give a sh*te, at least not to the extent that it would prevent them voting SF on the basis of this alone. It may be a final straw for a small number, but for the most part it's not going to sway people either way.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 11:07am
So, Mary Lou has come out and apologised which I think is a wise move.
How do SF supporters feel about this? Think it's wise also or disappointed as they don't think there is anything to apologise for? 
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 12:01pm

So, Mary Lou has come out and apologised which I think is a wise move.
How do SF supporters feel about this? Think it's wise also or disappointed as they don't think there is anything to apologise for? 
😂

£
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 12:54pm

Doubtful. 2 years at the earliest until next assembly election, and in actual fact there had been talk about extending the current term of the assembly

I was talking about down here if there was a snap election - and given the ongoing circus in the last week; it could happen at any time in the next couple of years. If they keep their heads down and just get on with the task at hand in opposition they are sure to strengthen their hand next time and probably form a coalition. However, stupid things like this and Cullinan shouting Up The Ra - whilst they are minor, the 2nd one anyway are such easy things for other politicians and the media to latch on to and will impact the views of floating voters. It’s the small things that trip you up.

It’s brain dead stuff and possibly will be the difference whether they are leading that coalition or not. 

Personally these things would have me question how we could have such eejits in power that can’t even gauge the public mood in a pandemic but each to their own... I see Norma Foleys 1st act as Minister for Education was to provide emergency funding to a school... in Listowel. So it’s not just SF!

Edited by Pipkin - 03 Jul 2020 at 12:55pm
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 1:45pm

I was talking about down here if there was a snap election - and given the ongoing circus in the last week; it could happen at any time in the next couple of years. If they keep their heads down and just get on with the task at hand in opposition they are sure to strengthen their hand next time and probably form a coalition. However, stupid things like this and Cullinan shouting Up The Ra - whilst they are minor, the 2nd one anyway are such easy things for other politicians and the media to latch on to and will impact the views of floating voters. It’s the small things that trip you up.

It’s brain dead stuff and possibly will be the difference whether they are leading that coalition or not. 

Personally these things would have me question how we could have such eejits in power that can’t even gauge the public mood in a pandemic but each to their own... I see Norma Foleys 1st act as Minister for Education was to provide emergency funding to a school... in Listowel. So it’s not just SF!
I was always of the opinion that the average 26 county voter takes next to no notice of what SF politicians do north of the border, and that it would have even less influence on what way they would vote. I can see other parties using it to have a pop at SF which will feed into the well worn and effective narrative that SF uses in the 26 that all the other parties are out to get them along with the establishment media
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Twitter and WhatsApp rumours emerged last week. There is definitely an element on social media who want there to be a sinister twist to it.

I've just read this interview with a woman who saw him cycling past her house naked. He was found in a drain at the back of those houses, I wasn't aware that he was seen that close to where he was found.

There’s a video doing the rounds on Facebook and Twitter allegedly of the woman who lived in front of where Noah was found, shouting abuse at people searching for the boy at the back of her house, a few days before the body is discovered, telling them to clear off and allegedly also that the drain area has already been searched 

Another story doing the rounds was that her husband called some of those searching fenian bastards 

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 04 Jul 2020 at 11:08pm
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

It will do them no harm at all within their base. It might do the SDLP more harm for siding with the DUP. The extent of the over-reaction , with the likes of the usual propagandists like Stephen Nolan, the Belfast Telegraph, News Letter, etc going ape-sh*t and studiously ignoring other events , will have some effect on floating voters but it may not be the one they anticipated. As for sanctions, there are no mechanisms for any other than collapsing the Assembly which the other parties will not do. Venality will triumph over purported principle.

The thing is they need to be bigger than their base. 

They now lead the opposition in the Republic. They have ambitions of leading government. I called it as it was, and foresaw the reaction. 

Queue another round of northern style whataboutery.

"floating voters" tripled their Dail numbers. I want them to succeed but they have to grow up too. 
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

The thing is they need to be bigger than their base. 

They now lead the opposition in the Republic. They have ambitions of leading government. I called it as it was, and foresaw the reaction. 

Queue another round of northern style whataboutery.

"floating voters" tripled their Dail numbers. I want them to succeed but they have to grow up too. 

The fact that some of their TDs couldn’t win local seats before being elected nationally screams of “loaned vote”. It’s not guaranteed to be replicated at future elections. The assumption that SF are just guaranteed a massive boost next time is questionable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8283848586 129>
  Share Topic