Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

African Cup of Nations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 8:57pm
Out go Ivory Coast
Sponsored Links

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 9:01pm
Missed the game, but just caught the highlights. Beautiful goal. Ivory Coast no loss at all to the knockout stages.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 9:44pm
they were shockingly bad, expected much more given the players at their disposal
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 9:59pm
They always just seemed like a team going through the motions at this tournament, even when previously winning it or getting to finals. Don't think they were nearly as strong squad wise this time though so that kind of attitude wasn't going to work. No Toures, Gervinho, Drogba, Zokora, Tiote in comparison to squads over the previous 10 years. I'd say the good days are over for awhile for them.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 10:10pm
I think Algeria had a better team and are an even bigger disappointment, although I watched the DRC tonight. It is Senegal's to lose it looks like.
Will Ghana and Egypt play out the expected drab draw? It is even money.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 10:31pm
Be shocked if Egypt didn't make the offer and Ghana accept. Play out the game as normal and there's a good chance Egypt go out.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 10:41pm
Adama Traore played at Right Back against Congo but not tonight - Actually think Traore is better as a RB than a Right midfielder, despite his defensive flaws atm.

Gradel started against Congo but not tonight, but even then he opted for Kojida when he took Zaha off tonight.

Never played Kone either throughout the whole tournament. Pretty strong evidence that the Manager didn't actually know who his best XI was.
There's a wide variety of options there for him, both as a 442 or a 433 and hes miserably failed, shocking stuff.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 10:51pm
When they had a top quality squad with world class players they had problems with players attitude, now the star players are Zaha and Bony and they have the same attitude problems. They only won one game in a qualifying group with Sierra Leone and Sudan and I will be surprised if they get out of a tough World Cup qualifying group. I think the coach is an easy target.
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Stopped watching this sh*te years ago.

Horrendous competition.

And they're getting more World Cup places FFS.

Piss poor .
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 10:58pm
I think he's up there with Marc Wilmots as 1 of the biggest spoofers in International Management.

1st game in the groups - Zaha over Bony in the middle of a forward 3, I mean really? LOL

Perhaps there's bigger problems as you say but when you do that as a Coach, you've got some explaining to do.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 11:11pm
Its very hard to get a balance with African football! 

You have your average North African footballers that have natural flair and neat touches but haven't got the temperament a lot of the time, tend to be very volatile. 

Then you have the likes of your Sub Saharan countries who have superb athletes with a game that's more focused pace, power and running ability but tend to not have great footballing brains.

Obvious there were/are plenty of complete African players but when was the last really good African team? 

Nigeria's circa 96-98? Ivory Coast always flattered to deceive. 

The standard of goalkeeper in Africa always makes these games even more hard to judge DeadLOL

Also lads it's DR Congo, Congo didn't qualify Wink

Edited by Green Devil - 24 Jan 2017 at 11:14pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 11:18pm
You're right. 
But then you look at down at the very basics and you could see that Zaha is not and will never be a #9 but he did drop his best #9 for Zaha.

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 11:29pm
A bit of organisation goes a long way, shame most African teams can't seem to appoint the right manager to get the basics right.

Egypt vs Ghana is 19/20 the draw tomorrow LOL
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 12:38am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

You're right. 
But then you look at down at the very basics and you could see that Zaha is not and will never be a #9 but he did drop his best #9 for Zaha.

I think one of his biggest problems was picking Zaha at all. Picking an uncapped player with a questionable attitude for a major competition set a precedent for the rest of the squad and it back fired terribly. He had made it clear that his birth nation was second choice. They seem to have a few young players across Europe with burgeoning reputations such as the lad Celtic just signed, would probably have been better picking those for the present and the future
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 7:34am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Adama Traore played at Right Back against Congo but not tonight - Actually think Traore is better as a RB than a Right midfielder, despite his defensive flaws atm.

Gradel started against Congo but not tonight, but even then he opted for Kojida when he took Zaha off tonight.

Never played Kone either throughout the whole tournament. Pretty strong evidence that the Manager didn't actually know who his best XI was.
There's a wide variety of options there for him, both as a 442 or a 433 and hes miserably failed, shocking stuff.

He played LB against DR Congo, Serge Aurier played right back.

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 9:34am
Aye I'd say it will most likely be a draw between Ghana and Egypt tonight

Algeria as PM points out was a shock too, good technical players they just didn't seem to click. Senegal B team could have beaten them easily had Konate* not been so wasteful.
(the most over rated players I've seen since Freddy Adu)

Looking at the way the knockout bracket is i'd say it will be a Sengal vs Ghana final.

While Ghana haven't looked mightily impressive they do seem to be grinding out results which should stand to them, if they win the group(which given the Egypt agreement) they'll play Morocco in QFs and Burkino Faso/Tunisia in SF's which I can see them haven't little trouble with.

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 6:59pm
f**kin hell the pitch for the Mali Uganda game
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 7:02pm
Uganda and Mali playing water polo.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
  Share Topic