You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

San Francisco

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: San Francisco
    Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 11:06am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by bannerboy95 bannerboy95 wrote:

Took the plunge moving in late May heading off for 14 months...now let the accomodation hunt begin LOL

Whatever you do don't tell Newryrep where you are staying as he is on the look out for cheap place to stay , and a freebie would be right up his street .

spot on Murph.....so true

FYI I actually have a nephew out there and will be there for a few more months - it did not however ever cross my mind as much like bus travel kipping on somebodys floor when on a holiday didn't  seem much of a holidayStern Smile

I am now committed elsewhere with Duluth looking likely for a few days
Good call NR, which is a bit like saying I committed Lansboro as there is so much to see rather than spending time in Dublin, ohhh and it's a lot cheaper also  Wacko
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

Took the plunge moving in late May heading off for 14 months...now let the accomodation hunt begin LOL

Whatever you do don't tell Newryrep where you are staying as he is on the look out for cheap place to stay , and a freebie would be right up his street .

FYI I actually have a nephew out there and will be there for a few more months - it did not however ever cross my mind as much like bus travel kipping on somebodys floor when on a holiday didn't  seem much of a holidayStern Smile

I am now committed elsewhere with Duluth looking likely for a few days

Edited by Newryrep - 09 Feb 2017 at 6:41pm
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 6:18pm

Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 3:28pm

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 3:19pm

Best of luck with the move - I'm sure you'll really enjoy it over there.

bannerboy95 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannerboy95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 3:09pm
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannerboy95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 1:45pm
Housing situation is crazy cheapest around I could find was $800 for a studio....more than likely will be living outside the city in Berkerly or even down in the Valley anything to spare me a few bob
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 12:32am
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

I met a yank that works in San Fran over Christmas, he has an Irish wife and she is now working over there as well. He wasn't too enthusiastic about the place, and like Bhob says the rents are really expensive.

Personally without knowing too much about San Francisco I'd give it a go, if the accommodation issue wasn't a problem. 

But it's so bad over there school teachers and headmasters are been forced to move miles out, people with jobs live in caravans, and then there are the new favelas that are appearing. So the greatest country in the world at the epicentre of the tech world and all that brilliance can create is a Brazillain favela is f**ked up, and just shows how bad inequality is getting. 

That is ridiculous, I must have a google.

There has been a shortage of housing in SF for 20+ years.The city council have very strict rules/regs with planning and I think around 60% of applications get turned down.
They have the most expensive rental market in the US and with all the tech jobs in the area there is a huge shortage of accommodation.

I was reading a article a while back about google employees living in the company car parks mostly in camper vans and trucks,they have access to their work place 24/7 so use that to wash,eat etc.

mate of mine lived over there for a year in 2015 and there was around 10 of them in a 3 bedroom house ,it was the only way they could afford to stay within a commutable distance from the city.
f**king crazy .
Yeah, it seems crazy, far worse than I could have expected. I can imagine that working for google and sleeping in a camper isn't that bad, certainly in comparison to others. There are some mad stories out there and you don't have to look far to find them.

This seems a pretty good synopsis for those unfamiliar with the situation.
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I met a yank that works in San Fran over Christmas, he has an Irish wife and she is now working over there as well. He wasn't too enthusiastic about the place, and like Bhob says the rents are really expensive.

Personally without knowing too much about San Francisco I'd give it a go, if the accommodation issue wasn't a problem. 

But it's so bad over there school teachers and headmasters are been forced to move miles out, people with jobs live in caravans, and then there are the new favelas that are appearing. So the greatest country in the world at the epicentre of the tech world and all that brilliance can create is a Brazillain favela is f**ked up, and just shows how bad inequality is getting. 

There has been a shortage of housing in SF for 20+ years.The city council have very strict rules/regs with planning and I think around 60% of applications get turned down.
They have the most expensive rental market in the US and with all the tech jobs in the area there is a huge shortage of accommodation.

I was reading a article a while back about google employees living in the company car parks mostly in camper vans and trucks,they have access to their work place 24/7 so use that to wash,eat etc.

mate of mine lived over there for a year in 2015 and there was around 10 of them in a 3 bedroom house ,it was the only way they could afford to stay within a commutable distance from the city.
f**king crazy .

Edited by rossieman - 18 Jan 2017 at 6:18pm
John W View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 6:03pm
If want a good spot go to the Piano bar beside Johnny Foleys in Union Square had a couple of great nights there.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 5:23pm

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 5:09pm

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 4:26pm
It's an incredibly expensive place to live. I've a mate living in San Leandro which is about 30mins on the BART and he pays $2,400 a month for his place.
All the silicon valley guys have moved up to the city from Palo Alto and it has just made prices sky rocket. Other than that it's a great place.

Best place for finding anything you need, I would start with Craigslist. 
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannerboy95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 3:04pm
Well lads hows things....been offered a visa recently to go to the US for the year....my field of work is in Accounting/Business/Finance....mulling at the moment where to go however San Francisco really appeals to me the weather, lifetsyle, location, food, sports, outdoors.... seems to be good pay for internships and plenty of jobs only problem seems to be the price of rent which seems extorionate...if anyone could provide me with any tips re jobs, accomodation, where to look etc. it would be a great help and much appreciated cheers !
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 8:05pm
May have to reconsider
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 6:26pm
100 bucks a night will get you a wheely bin.

I paid $868 for 3 nights.

Although I was on my toblerone and it was August.

Edited by Gary McKay - 29 Dec 2016 at 6:28pm
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 5:59pm
NR as you know i lived there for a while many moons ago . Pay the money and splash out . Look will talk to you in March but Union Sq and Fishersmans W is what we are looking at in august but 100 bucks will only get yot sh*tville ...... Try Howard Johsons which is like Traveloge .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic