You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Checkatrade Trophy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:36pm
This sh*te has started again for another season, atleast they haven't forced any derbies to try drum up interest this time round.

Oddly enough Sunderland and Newcastle U21's were banned from being drawn in the same group as if we're Russia and Ukraine.
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:41pm
Its your 16th post on this 3 page thread which you started about the tournament.
You seem to be interested enough in it without the derby games LOL
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:45pm
I feel sorry for you that you've had the spare time to count tbh!
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:46pm
Jeez, how long does it take you to count to 16?!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

You have to be the most easily triggered poster on here. 

You're worse than Trump ffs. LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

I would hazard a guess at around three hours.
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

I would hazard a guess at around three hours.

Very generous 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 5:44pm
It is the length of time it takes him to walk to Katowice...
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

You have to be the most easily triggered poster on here. 

You're worse than Trump ffs. LOL

Triggered? LOL

Least f**ks given perhaps, especially to get offended on an Internet forum 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 8:58am
The league sides have been doing well against the U21 teams in this in general.
Port Vale's odds (17/10) at home to their biggest rival Stoke's U21 team last night stood out like a sore thumb
Threw in West Ham and Bournemouth for a nice treble

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 12:09pm
At least the attendances have been, by and large, atrocious. Cambridge had their lowest ever attendance last time out, including recorded friendlies. I'm not sure what it was last night. Unfortunately, all that good work will be undone by daytrippers at the final.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 12:24pm

At least the attendances have been, by and large, atrocious. Cambridge had their lowest ever attendance last time out, including recorded friendlies. I'm not sure what it was last night. Unfortunately, all that good work will be undone by daytrippers at the final.

Of course you would see the negative side of it and it gives you another reason to whinge or moan on here anyway, which I'm sure you're delighted about.

I'd be more than happy if Sunderland got to the final, 30,000+ fans would make the trip and a day out in Wembley made in large by season ticket holders and regular match day goers. Whether that's in this competition or not is irrelevant because we see it every year with the League Cup (Premiership club attendances wise)

Edited by Green Devil - 05 Dec 2018 at 12:28pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 12:32pm
Yeah, and help destroy English football in the process. This tournament is a gateway for EPL 2 and reserve teams in the league. The daytrippers I mentioned won't care about this as they won't be going to watch the league games anyway.
There is a reason it is being boycotted. But f**k the future of the game, I just like a moan.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 12:42pm

Yeah, and help destroy English football in the process. This tournament is a gateway for EPL 2 and reserve teams in the league. The daytrippers I mentioned won't care about this as they won't be going to watch the league games anyway.
There is a reason it is being boycotted. But f**k the future of the game, I just like a moan.

It's worked really well in Spain for a number of years, if anything having colt clubs in the Segunda & Segunda Divisions A, B, C & D has helped give young players a platform to play proper competitive football because the current under 23/reserve team system in England is anything but. 

Talking about being over dramatic ffs LOL

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 12:50pm
Really? I don't think so, and neither do an awful lot of other people who go and watch League 1 and 2 football every week, and lower.

Spain has a very different football culture. A further weakening of the league system will destroy clubs and remove one of the few strong local communities in many provincial towns and cities so Abu Dhabi and their ilk can stockpile even more players.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 12:59pm

Really? I don't think so, and neither do an awful lot of other people who go and watch League 1 and 2 football every week, and lower.

Spain has a very different football culture. A further weakening of the league system will destroy clubs and remove one of the few strong local communities in many provincial towns and cities so Abu Dhabi and their ilk can stockpile even more players.

If it were up to me I wouldn't change the system right now, as I actually love the English league pyramid so we're in agreement there.

Yet at the same time I feel the FA are probably right to explore these avenues (The Checkatrade) at this moment.

From speaking to people, reading about it, watching it on TV etc the current under 23/reserve system in England simply isn't working and it's the first teams managers of these respective clubs that are the most vocal.

It's simply not a competitive enough environment and now FIFA want to limit the number of players that can be loaned out per club aswell! 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 1:07pm
Go through the Checktrade lineups,see how many young English lads are getting a game for the richest teams. In the long history of bullsh*t excuses in football, this bollocks that this was done for the good of developing English football.
It is the first step in getting reserve teams of the super rich into the league. There is no other point to it, and most clubs sold out for a couple of quid. When there is a few hundred people watching Cambridge vs Everton reserves I'm sure they'll be happy.
Having only two, at most, professional divisions is hardly going to be good for the development of players either.

The changing of the loan laws is potentially the best thing to happen to football in years too!

Edited by pre Madonna - 05 Dec 2018 at 1:08pm
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 1:57pm

Go through the Checktrade lineups,see how many young English lads are getting a game for the richest teams. In the long history of bullsh*t excuses in football, this bollocks that this was done for the good of developing English football.
It is the first step in getting reserve teams of the super rich into the league. There is no other point to it, and most clubs sold out for a couple of quid. When there is a few hundred people watching Cambridge vs Everton reserves I'm sure they'll be happy.
Having only two, at most, professional divisions is hardly going to be good for the development of players either.

The changing of the loan laws is potentially the best thing to happen to football in years too!

Morning all.

On this Checkatrade business, I agree totally that the Spanish model (B teams etc) does not transfer to the English game, for a number of reasons. 

But I don't agree that letting EPL 'B' teams play in the Checkatrade is a "gateway" to being allowed to join the 2nd/3rd/4th tiers of League football - rather the opposite in fact, in that they're only exploring the Checkatrade because they CAN'T get into the FL.

Personally I don't see the harm in trying it out with the Checkatrade for a period - it will either prove beneficial to all concerned or it won't.

Meanwhile, the real solution to this problem of bloated EPL squads actually lies with the players (and their Agents). That is, if after 3 or 4 years receiving an excellent schooling in an EPL Academy, a young 19 or 20 y.o. prospect finds he's getting blocked from the 1st team, and he's not benefitting from loans, then he needs simply to move permanently to a club playing at a decent standard elsewhere. This could be in the English Championship, or it could be abroad at a club where they're prepared to give youngsters a chance (eg Jadon Sancho at Dortmund).

So that if they genuinely are good enough to make it at the very top, after another 3 or 4 years further development in adult football, then they'll get their transfer to Man City or Chelsea etc at the age of 24 or 25 with every hope of being a regular.

Alternatively, they could just sit where they are, on huge money and only occasional games, like Ruben Loftus-Cheek:

And Sarri has told reporters that he's going nowhere in January.

"He played some matches in the Europa League and the League Cup, and he played five or six [four] matches in the Premier League without starting, I think," the Italian said.

"He is, at the moment, very important for us."

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/746234/Chelsea-news-Maurizio-Sarri-gives-major-transfer-update-on-Ruben-Loftus-Cheek

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic