You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rugby World Cup Bid 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 22>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 4:21pm
Read the comments from the chief bogballer, what an arrogant prick.

Really hope they don't get the funding now that they were gonna get

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by ABFC ABFC wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

I really don't know how anybody from Ireland could be happy about this outcome.

Even if you hated rugby, surely you want your country to do well. This would have been a huge positive for Ireland in so many ways!

I was delighted ye IRFU lost their bid. I don't think it would have been that great for the country. The Welsh/Scots/English & French would bring over respectable numbers but outside of that where would the support come from?

There is loads of Saffa's/ Aussies / Kiwi's/ Americans etc in the U.K. that would have travelled over.
The boost to the encomony, the potential follow on impact to other sporting events being held in Ireland, the world coverage etc
It was a win win.

I'd hate to be that bitter to cheer on this result.

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by tony grealish tony grealish wrote:

Ah stop, this provides a bit of a chuckle in an otherwise utterly depressing week. The cheek of those dastardly focking Scots and Welsh loike! Hord lock goys!!LOL

I'm not sure why too many people would get a chuckle from this. After all, this would have had wider benefits beyond the sport itself.

Ah tis comical stuff HF, you couldn't not laugh surely. 

Just to witness the sheer bewilderment on the faces of the Rugby Lads, who naturally enough, assumed it was a done deal from the outset (they even had me convinced), much as their entire professional lives have been done deals from the outset, to see them simply being completely unable to deal with a setback, maybe for the first time ever, has intrinsic comedy value. 

We came 3rd ?? How did that happen ?? What's the best strategy to adopt lads ?? We'll rubbish the technical process/report, that might work. Good idea. It did work alright, but in favour of France. 

And then trying to blame Scotland & Wales, as if they owe us something. And there is something in that too, to return to these lads professional lives, and indeed corporate Ireland, that's how the entire thing works, never mind the merits of anything in particular, tis all about who ya know and who owes who favours. The lads weren't really able to grasp the concept of the bid being judged on its merits and compared to the other bids, and indeed, still aren't, as proven by the remarkably petty comments of the normally unflappable Mr Browne of the IRFU.

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 12:50am

Hate to break it to you Hetters old chap, but quite a few people are getting a chuckle out of this. It would seem that there are a good number of us who find the spectacle of the comically self regarding Irish rogby fraternity being publicly embarrassed to be highly entertaining. Many of these people take themselves awfully seriously and, as such, are crying out to be made fun of. Thumbs Up

Then there are clearly "a good number" of sad people out there if this is what they get their joy from.

Edited by Het-field - 18 Nov 2017 at 12:52am
ABFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 4:03pm

Even if you hated rugby, surely you want your country to do well. This would have been a huge positive for Ireland in so many ways!

I was delighted ye IRFU lost their bid. I don't think it would have been that great for the country. The Welsh/Scots/English & French would bring over respectable numbers but outside of that where would the support come from?
tony grealish View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony grealish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Some chip on your shoulder (ironically given your jibe at Rub in another thread) there ABFC did a rugby player run off with your missus or something

Inverted snobbery as ususal from you

Rugby threads are always riddled with it. 

As sure as night follows day. LOL

The catch all knee jerk defense of the outraged Irish rugger bugger whenever they are called out on actual snobbery, arrogance, pomposity..etc.  This one must be on page one of the oirish rogby goy manual.Clap

Yeah that's exactly it.......

Jesus the Anti Rugby brigade are a precious bunch. Between being offended by an advertising campaign by one of the sports sponsors and more or less suggesting no-one can follow a sport because of where they are from

I knew lads from fee paying “rugby” schools who wouldn’t go out with girls (or dream of marrying girls) from non-fee paying schools.
The snobbery is there in abundance, it is not made up.

Hang on GB1HJ, I'll save the goys on here the bother.Thumbs Up

1,2,3.....altogether now chaps...........................''INVERTED SNOBBERY!!!!!!!!!!''LOL LOL
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''
ABFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 3:45pm
I've outlined before why I dislike rogby so much. I work with a huge amount from a rogby background and a sizeable majority are up their arse. Yes there's sound ones but the majority are quite arrogant. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by ABFC ABFC wrote:

[QUOTE=Denis Irwin] [QUOTE=tony grealish] competition.

1. If you are using that theory. FIFA world cup is effectively a 4/5 team tournament

Not really.. For the vast majority of countries in the FIFA World Cup, the country would come to a complete standstill for their respective matches. I would exclude Australia from that but the other 31 countries will have pretty much every single person watching their nations match. 

Can you say the same for rogby Denis? The answer is no. 
While I agree with your point, football is certainly the most played sport in Australia and, judging by online media coverage of the game with Honduras from Australian outlets, the World Cup will be a massive event for their nation.
ABFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 3:34pm

[QUOTE=Denis Irwin] [QUOTE=tony grealish] competition.

1. If you are using that theory. FIFA world cup is effectively a 4/5 team tournament

Not really.. For the vast majority of countries in the FIFA World Cup, the country would come to a complete standstill for their respective matches. I would exclude Australia from that but the other 31 countries will have pretty much every single person watching their nations match. 

Can you say the same for rogby Denis? The answer is no. 

Edited by ABFC - 17 Nov 2017 at 3:36pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 3:02pm

Even as someone with an interest in rugby, I would seriously question this.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 2:29pm

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 2:00pm
I think three different people have replied to what I said so instead of quoting all I'll just respond here. A quick google search of home advantage in rugby throws up the following - doubt people will be interested enough to read in depth but for whatever reason home advantage in rugby tends to be more important than in other team sports as I stated:

Anyway, it's obviously easy enough to be billy big b*ll*x after that fact of Ireland not being awarded the RWC, but the crux of the issue is that Ireland have shown they are capable in the very recent past of beating each of the top nations and therefore by hosting a RWC would be more likely to actually win it then any time previously.

On a separate but related note, people citing a team's record, in any sport, over ridiculously long periods of time always makes laugh as it's totally irrelevant. Is Ireland under performing in the 2007 RWC going to weigh heavily on the mind's of the players who feature in a RWC almost two decades latter? Obviously not. It's the same with the football when people go 'Oh we've a terrible record against Austria - they're our bogey team', despite the fact we had not played them in over 20 years and the events of 1995 are totally irrelevant to players featuring in 2016/17.
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 1:46pm

Some chip on your shoulder (ironically given your jibe at Rub in another thread) there ABFC did a rugby player run off with your missus or something

The catch all knee jerk defense of the outraged Irish rugger bugger whenever they are called out on actual snobbery, arrogance, pomposity..etc.  This one must be on page one of the oirish rogby goy manual.Clap

Jesus the Anti Rugby brigade are a precious bunch. Between being offended by an advertising campaign by one of the sports sponsors and more or less suggesting no-one can follow a sport because of where they are from

I knew lads from fee paying “rugby” schools who wouldn’t go out with girls (or dream of marrying girls) from non-fee paying schools.
The snobbery is there in abundance, it is not made up.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony grealish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by alihau41 alihau41 wrote:

You'll have to remind me where I said/suggested either of these things? And by the way, there is no more precious, hyper sensitive bunch in the country than the mortally outraged rogger crowd!

I didn't say you specifically. You don't like the sport but can't refrain from posting in the threads about it.

What can I say, I just like winding up rugger buggers. I have been surrounded by them in work for years and have had to listen to their pompous, sneering, dimwitted, poorly informed bullsh*t on a daily basis. I know sound rugby people too, but my personal experience is that a very significant proportion of Irish rugby fans are insufferable, obnoxious fools. Hence the bias, hands up.Smile

is this the reason why you are a keyboard warrior then?

Trust me, this 'banter' between me and them takes place('live' and in person) on a daily basis. I've said far worse to them than anything I've ever posted on here.LOL

Were you a bit outraged there petal?LOL

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony grealish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 1:21pm

Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

I'd imagine another reason the anti-rugby brigade are so pleased with the outcome is that Ireland would be in serious danger of actually winning a RWC if they were to host one. Home advantage in rugby is probably greater than in most other team sports so we would never have a better chance at winning the yoke.

LOL LOL  LOLLOL LOL LOL This just gets better!

Yeah, because they've acquitted themselves with such distinction so far in the short history of this ten team 'world' tournament. I believe the record reads zero from eight attempts to make it into the last eight of this ten team tournament?

They'd be in SERIOUS danger of winning it next time out with home advantage though!! LOL Clap

1. It's not a ten team tournament
2. They have qualified for QFs

1. It's effectively a ten team tournament in that outside of the six nations and southern hemisphere four you are dealing with minnows/part timers/semi pro teams..etc. Cue an outraged LB charging into the thread to tell me once more how rogby union fever is sweeping the nation in Belgium and that there are hundreds of full time professional rogby players there.LOL

2. I meant to say ''past the last eight''  (not ''into the last eight'') of this ten team tournament. My mistake, fair cop. We're all well aware of their repeated failures at the quarter final stage of this competition.

Jaysus, you lads really don't help yourselves.

Thirteen different countries have made it to the final of the FIFA world cup. Drill down further and you'll find quite a few others that have made it to semi final and quarter final stages. It's also a competition where on a regular basis previous winners, finalists and semi finalists fail to even qualify for the final stages because, unlike rogby, the depth of competition is so substantial. Come back to me the day even a sh*t rugby team like Italy fails to qualify for the RWC.LOL

The depth of competition in football is absolutely massive compared to Rugby. Rugby is played professionally in a whopping ten countries world wide and in only two of those countries could you make an argument for it being the most popular sport there. Football is the one truly global sport and is played at a full time professional level across every continent on the planet.  Dress it up whatever way you want but, in a global context, Rugby union is an elitist minority sport that is played professionally in a relatively small number of countries and that has f*ck all appeal or audience outside of those countries.

Gotta get back to work with the rugger toffs now.Cry
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 1:11pm

You'll have to remind me where I said/suggested either of these things? And by the way, there is no more precious, hyper sensitive bunch in the country than the mortally outraged rogger crowd!

I didn't say you specifically. You don't like the sport but can't refrain from posting in the threads about it.

What can I say, I just like winding up rugger buggers. I have been surrounded by them in work for years and have had to listen to their pompous, sneering, dimwitted, poorly informed bullsh*t on a daily basis. I know sound rugby people too, but my personal experience is that a very significant proportion of Irish rugby fans are insufferable, obnoxious fools. Hence the bias, hands up.Smile

is this the reason why you are a keyboard warrior then?
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 1:06pm

I'd imagine another reason the anti-rugby brigade are so pleased with the outcome is that Ireland would be in serious danger of actually winning a RWC if they were to host one. Home advantage in rugby is probably greater than in most other team sports so we would never have a better chance at winning the yoke.

Yeah, because they've acquitted themselves with such distinction so far in the short history of this ten team 'world' tournament. I believe the record reads zero from eight attempts to make it into the last eight of this ten team tournament?

They'd be in SERIOUS danger of winning it next time out with home advantage though!! LOL Clap

1. It's effectively a ten team tournament in that outside of the six nations and southern hemisphere four you are dealing with minnows/part timers/semi pro teams..etc. Cue an outraged LB charging into the thread to tell me once more how rogby union fever is sweeping the nation in Belgium and that there are hundreds of full time professional rogby players there.LOL

2. I meant to say ''past the last eight''  (not ''into the last eight'') of this ten team tournament. My mistake, fair cop. We're all well aware of their repeated failures at the quarter final stage of this competition.

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony grealish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 1:05pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 22>
  Share Topic