You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rugby World Cup Bid 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by deco911 deco911 wrote:

We can't even house our homeless and folk want us to host the rugby World Cup πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

By that metric nobody would ever host anything.

Unless they are a large country with the infrastructure already in place you are correct
AKA pedantic kunt
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 6:00pm

We can't even house our homeless and folk want us to host the rugby World Cup πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

By that metric nobody would ever host anything.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 5:41pm

Stick a family of them into that semi D you won’t be allowed knock
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Deise is right. Cost benefit analysis on major tournaments such as this do not prove they make a return on investment for the country even taking the multiplier effect into account

Are you being serious?
You think countries are fighting over the rugby WC because they think it will be loss making....
Ffs

It's not the olympics were you have to accommodate 50 different sports and put up large numbers for free.

Ingerland made a killing on the last Rugby WC as all the infrastructure was in place. All they had to do was collect all the cash.

Are you serious. You do know that LA1984 was the last Olympics to make a surplus.

Major sporting events cost money they do not stand up from an economic point of view.

2015 is an outlier as infrastructure already in place.

Edited by Baldrick - 18 Nov 2017 at 5:44pm
AKA pedantic kunt
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 5:28pm
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 5:14pm

Deise is right. Cost benefit analysis on major tournaments such as this do not prove they make a return on investment for the country even taking the multiplier effect into account

Are you being serious?
You think countries are fighting over the rugby WC because they think it will be loss making....
Ffs

It's not the olympics were you have to accommodate 50 different sports and put up large numbers for free.

Ingerland made a killing on the last Rugby WC as all the infrastructure was in place. All they had to do was collect all the cash.

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 18 Nov 2017 at 5:24pm

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 5:11pm

Yes they do but the loss is being paid for by someone else so that's in affect a transfer of income from one group of people to another. Is that fair.

Is it a transfer of income? I would see it more as a brief, if welcome spike for some people. And that is the effect of these tournaments. Not every part of a country will benefit. In major events like the Olympic Games a single city benefits (and that isn't always the case).
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 5:07pm
Yes they do but the loss is being paid for by someone else so that's in affect a transfer of income from one group of people to another. Is that fair.
AKA pedantic kunt
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 5:06pm

But who pays for it. Basically you want a transfer of income to the people around Tue stadiums.

I have already said taking into account the multiplier effect they generally lose money. So that takes into account any knock benefits to local businesses

But the businesses benefit directly. I accept there is a risk of loss at the wider level.

Like I said before, it is more than a matter of economics.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 5:02pm
But who pays for it. Basically you want a transfer of income to the people around the stadiums.

I have already said taking into account the multiplier effect they generally lose money. So that takes into account any knock benefits to local businesses

Edited by Baldrick - 18 Nov 2017 at 5:06pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 4:55pm

So who pays for it and who benefits.

Who benefits? At very least the commercial entities in the environs of the Stadium. The return comes from VAT and taxes generated as a result of hosting the tournament, which otherwise would not be generated, will undoubtedly offset a portion of the public outlay (I agree probably not all) I dont disagree that hosting tournaments is an expensive and potentially loss making enterprise. I agree that places where the infrastructure already exists are more likely to host economically successful tournaments. In 2015 England hosted a tournament that benefitted both the taxpayer and the sport.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 4:49pm
So who pays for it and who benefits.
AKA pedantic kunt
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 4:45pm

But even if that is the case, that is not a sufficiently good reason to avoid hosting such tournaments. It's a larger thing to be reduced down to economic matters. And even at that, at local level there is generally a positive effect.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 4:41pm

Edited by Baldrick - 18 Nov 2017 at 4:42pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

I'd agree with you on the social benefits, hosting the special olympics brought out a side of Irish society that is too rarely seen these days. Economic benefits, I dunno. Few of these things ever make money.Β 

I would suspect it is more to do with the pints pulled, meals ordered, hotels booked etc that produce the economic benefits. I would absolutely agree it's an expensive game to host a tournament, but the wider economy would undoubtedly enjoy a growth, even if it is just for the duration of the tournament. I'm not talking in larger economic terms, but just in terms of local economy.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 4:33pm

Originally posted by ABFC ABFC wrote:

I really don't know how anybody from Ireland could be happy about this outcome.

Even if you hated rugby, surely you want your country to do well. This would have been a huge positive for Ireland in so many ways!

I was delighted ye IRFU lost their bid. I don't think it would have been that great for the country. The Welsh/Scots/English & French would bring over respectable numbers but outside of that where would the support come from?

There is loads of Saffa's/ Aussies / Kiwi's/ Americans etc in the U.K. that would have travelled over.
The boost to the encomony, the potential follow on impact to other sporting events being held in Ireland, the world coverage etc
It was a win win.

I'd hate to be that bitter to cheer on this result.

The last World cup which the hosts went out in the group stage has an attendance of 2,477,805 (51,621 per match)

Euro 2016 attendances- 2,427,303 (47,594 per match)

Do you think majority of those were French fans

I agree with Kilbane here some of the reactions by some on here is bitter, just cause you don't follow a sport doesn't mean it isn't massively popular and would attract money
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 4:30pm
I'd agree with you on the social benefits, hosting the special olympics brought out a side of Irish society that is too rarely seen these days. Economic benefits, I dunno. Few of these things ever make money. 
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 4:25pm
Being honest Deise, I don't find it particularly funny. There are economic and social benefits to hosting major events, and it was a great opportunity to enhance Ireland as a tourist destination. I also like the concept of promoting sports as a social good, which is a natural benefit of hosting and participating in major events. It would also have been greatly beneficial if we wished to bid for further tournaments in other codes, or potentially enhance the possibility of joint bids in the future.

I don't blame anybody for being optimistic. There was reason to be. Our bid was clearly not as strong as others. But there were other factors at play, including the geographical decisions, the previous hosting of tournaments, the apparent willingness of the powers that facilitate smaller nations willing to host tournaments. In the bidding process for Euro 2008 the vibe was buoyant. It certainly wasn't defeatist, the only issue being a potential preference for the ultimately victorious bid being the home of the authorities. Nobody goes into bid for something like this without a belief in their bid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
  Share Topic