You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rugby World Cup Bid 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Taking this way off-topic but I find nearly all of London soulless now, something I once would have only accused small pockets of being. Even Brixton, which was my favourite place, is being overrun with ****s. Try to avoid the place these days, although I am meant to go to Orient on New Year's Eve, if they are still going.

Fear not, they will be. The figures would suggest that very little has been done to their average attendances.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Taking this way off-topic but I find nearly all of London soulless now, something I once would have only accused small pockets of being. Even Brixton, which was my favourite place, is being overrun with ****s. Try to avoid the place these days, although I am meant to go to Orient on New Year's Eve, if they are still going.

Fear not, they will be. The figures would suggest that very little has been done to their average attendances.

Their attendances aren't the problem there, never were, always fairly steady. I would say lunatic Italian owners would be a far greater threat. Hopefully they are an easy 3 points though.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Tallaght would definitely be offered as it would raise the profile, bring a big event to the area and could justify further work. Dalyer will be onstream then too However that would mean 5 stadia in Dublin even though all have the bells and whistles others don't have.

I think they have simply gone with the biggest venues regardless of standard of stadium and suitability of the town and I would question if people will travel to Thurles, Castlebar or Derry for 'smaller' games. What are the corporate facilities like in Celtic Park?

Three of the NZ venues were smaller than what is currently mooted as the smallest  Irish one in Ravenhill, but to be fair, I don't think they had many other options.

The reality is that the GAA would be the big winners here, which is not ideal either in terms of legacy.

The issue of legacy is not particularly big in the RWC. England 2015 swept the nation, engendered and renewed a love of the game with the oval ball, was played, came to an end, and moved on. The same in France 2007. RWC 99 is one of the few tournaments with a legacy, namely the Millennium Stadium, and 1995 has more of a mythical legacy rather than any tangible difference. Ultimately, it is different from a cultural point of view to the Olympic Games which sees legacy as a major part of its appeal.
How many modern Olympic Games haven't failed from a legacy point of view though? I would say very, very few.

Rome and Munich probably.
Barcelona definitely (the most successful example).
Sydney (arguably).

Rio: a corrupt disgrace with facilities all over the place that will clearly never be used again, in a country with a huge poverty problem and in a city with awful organised crime and violence needing serious attention.
London: has been a financial shambles, with awful planning, and no clear plan for what to do with the stadium afterwards, costing a fortune for what was meant to be a low cost games.
Beijing: a totalitarian regime with facilities now in ruin, spending huge sums of money that could well have been better spent elsewhere.
Athens: a large part of the cause of the biggest sovereign debt crisis of a developed nation in the 21st century; I don't need to say more than that.
Sydney: arguably a success.
Atlanta: the stadium has already been demolished. Whatever legacy there was (in a baseball stadium for the Braves, mainly, a massive public subsidy for a corporate entity) is now long gone. The stadium was in the "wrong part of town" (read: a poor part of town) that didn't suit Braves fans because of traffic and lack of public transit, and they've now moved to a new stadium, with a public subsidy of almost $400m. That's a pretty negative legacy.

That's one of the last six that has arguably had a good legacy. I would accept that Barcelona, Los Angeles and a few others had decent legacies but if you go on recent games only (the best examples, I'd say), you'll see it's largely negative. That's leaving aside the likes of Montreal, too, which everyone knows about. I think they've finally paid off the debt from then.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Tallaght would definitely be offered as it would raise the profile, bring a big event to the area and could justify further work. Dalyer will be onstream then too However that would mean 5 stadia in Dublin even though all have the bells and whistles others don't have.

I think they have simply gone with the biggest venues regardless of standard of stadium and suitability of the town and I would question if people will travel to Thurles, Castlebar or Derry for 'smaller' games. What are the corporate facilities like in Celtic Park?

Three of the NZ venues were smaller than what is currently mooted as the smallest  Irish one in Ravenhill, but to be fair, I don't think they had many other options.

The reality is that the GAA would be the big winners here, which is not ideal either in terms of legacy.

The issue of legacy is not particularly big in the RWC. England 2015 swept the nation, engendered and renewed a love of the game with the oval ball, was played, came to an end, and moved on. The same in France 2007. RWC 99 is one of the few tournaments with a legacy, namely the Millennium Stadium, and 1995 has more of a mythical legacy rather than any tangible difference. Ultimately, it is different from a cultural point of view to the Olympic Games which sees legacy as a major part of its appeal.
How many modern Olympic Games haven't failed from a legacy point of view though? I would say very, very few.

Rome and Munich probably.
Barcelona definitely (the most successful example).
Sydney (arguably).

Rio: a corrupt disgrace with facilities all over the place that will clearly never be used again, in a country with a huge poverty problem and in a city with awful organised crime and violence needing serious attention.
London: has been a financial shambles, with awful planning, and no clear plan for what to do with the stadium afterwards, costing a fortune for what was meant to be a low cost games.
Beijing: a totalitarian regime with facilities now in ruin, spending huge sums of money that could well have been better spent elsewhere.
Athens: a large part of the cause of the biggest sovereign debt crisis of a developed nation in the 21st century; I don't need to say more than that.
Sydney: arguably a success.
Atlanta: the stadium has already been demolished. Whatever legacy there was (in a baseball stadium for the Braves, mainly, a massive public subsidy for a corporate entity) is now long gone. The stadium was in the "wrong part of town" (read: a poor part of town) that didn't suit Braves fans because of traffic and lack of public transit, and they've now moved to a new stadium, with a public subsidy of almost $400m. That's a pretty negative legacy.

That's one of the last six that has arguably had a good legacy. I would accept that Barcelona, Los Angeles and a few others had decent legacies but if you go on recent games only (the best examples, I'd say), you'll see it's largely negative. That's leaving aside the likes of Montreal, too, which everyone knows about. I think they've finally paid off the debt from then.

The Athens games cost €9billion. Nobody is trivialising that sort of money, but Greece's national debt is €340billion, so it's not a large part of their debt crisis, which would undoubtedly exist in any event had the Olympics not been staged there.

The Atlanta stadium hasn't been demolished. Current plan is to turn it into a 22k capacity college football stadium.

The Atlanta Braves have now left after deciding to build a car-dependent stadium 15 miles outside of the city centre.

The Sochi Winter Olympics is the worst example of criminal financial mismanagement, overspending and corruption. Bread and circuses.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 3:32pm
Alright, but still... you can't say Greece was a success (look for the pictures of the venues) and Atlanta hasn't worked either if almost $400m of public money is being spent now building a new stadium for the baseball team.

Thanks for the corrections but they don't change much.... Athens and Atlanta were and remain financial disasters with no real legacy.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Alright, but still... you can't say Greece was a success (look for the pictures of the venues) and Atlanta hasn't worked either if almost $400m of public money is being spent now building a new stadium for the baseball team.

Thanks for the corrections but they don't change much.... Athens and Atlanta were and remain financial disasters with no real legacy.

If you take the games alone, Athens was quite successful - but no, the legacy hasn't been good - but Greece's financial crisis is the cause of that poor legacy, rather than the Olympics being the cause of the financial crisis.

The US is a throwaway society. They don't do legacy, especially in as soulless a town as Atlanta. Turner Field was in a good downtown location and there was nothing wrong with it as a ballpark, but that's not good enough apparently - it's all about the $$$$$.

The Georgia Dome is due for the wrecking ball despite only being opened in 1993.

I take on board all points about major sporting events generally not doing legacy or producing an economic benefit in the way it's always promised.

I think Ireland's Rugby World Cup bid is a good one and while I don't expect it'll produce any economic benefit, it won't bankrupt us, it mainly uses existing facilities and won't leave us with any white elephants. I also think that being a small island which does tourism well, who will buy into the event in terms of interest means we are exceptionally suited to hosting it.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 3:52pm

I think Ireland's Rugby World Cup bid is a good one and while I don't expect it'll produce any economic benefit, it won't bankrupt us, it mainly uses existing facilities and won't leave us with any white elephants. I also think that being a small island which does tourism well, who will buy into the event in terms of interest means we are exceptionally suited to hosting it.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here Sid. However, I think that there will be an increase in tourism, even if it won't be massively influential, as I expect plenty of Six Nations fans to descend on the country for the duration of the tournament, or at least for the weekends in which the games are being played and their teams are involved.

Essentially, getting this over the line will certainly benefit the country, and there will be no long term damage done as a result.
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 3:57pm
Maybe I am an idealist, but getting one of the bigger sports events out there to Ireland being done on a 'won't cause any long term damage' isn't very inspiring.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 4:01pm

Maybe I am an idealist, but getting one of the bigger sports events out there to Ireland being done on a 'won't cause any long term damage' isn't very inspiring.

Im speaking from an exclusively economic point of view. Events of this magnitude have the ability to damage a country. The RWC would of course be a massive and major achievement to host, and undoubtedly we would host it well. The most professionally administered game at both grass-roots level, and at administrative/management level in Ireland is rugby. Hosting a tournament like this would extend the franchise of the sport around the country, which would have the potential to bring with it a swath of young kids who will grow to become the next generation of rugby players, while also diversifying the demography of the sport. That might sound idealistic, but I feel there would be genuine scope for that.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 4:19pm

Croke Park, Lansdowne Road, Thomond Park and Ravenhill are good to go as is. 

Pairc Ui Chaoimh is half built already. 

Casement Park will get built, one way or the other, and the NI government is paying. 

Other grounds need relatively minor upgrades and won't break the bank. 

It'll be good from a sporting infrastructure point of view for the country, it'll be good for the country in terms of international prestige, it will probably make a modest profit. 

The pluses outweigh any negatives.

I think you're the opposite of an idealist. 

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 4:24pm
There are loads of hidden boosts to any country city hosting big tournaments.

Ireland's bid from a stadia point of view is very solid, they are here they just need to be upgraded, so a big win for the GAA helping out Rugby. 

A spin off for local people would hopefully be improved infrastructure. So lets say the government went and put 300m on these projects, does it suddenly become wasted money? Roads improved, broadband bettered, etc etc. 

The Ireland bid seems a fairly safe bet, I hope they get it.

Edited by Bob Hoskins - 15 Nov 2016 at 4:24pm
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 4:38pm
Obvious infrastructural projects (ie. roads, which are the only infrastructure we ever do in this country) that would help the bid include the Cork-Limerick motorway, a dual carriageway between Newry and Derry, and the Galway bypass (I'm torn on this one given that I live near the route and it has the potential to rightly mess up an area of scenic beauty). 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 4:45pm
The England world cup bid used 4 rugby grounds, 8 Football and 1 Athletics. It's nothing new to make the most of what's available in the country. There's not many countries could handle the world cup in all rugby stadiums.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 4:46pm
It's almost like they cogged my whole plan, even if I say so myself.

http://forum.ybig.ie/rogbee-world-cup-ireland-2023-a-detailed-plan_topic47347.html
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 4:53pm
wtf Sid LOL LOL what the hell made you put that much time and effort into a sport, I think you've no interest in.
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 5:31pm
Transport and hotel beds are the main issue.

For example, Thurles has a 52k capacity stadium, and there are 2000 hotel beds in all of Tipperary. 
Where are people going to stay? 

If they find beds in surrounding counties how do you get them from wherever they are staying to Thurles?

If England, Wales, Scotland and France are all playing outside of Dublin, you've got to find beds and ways to transport tens of thousands of people on a decrepit public transport network.
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Hoosay Hoosay wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Transport and hotel beds are the main issue.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">For example, Thurles has a 52k capacity stadium, and there are 2000 hotel beds in all of Tipperary. </span>

If they find beds in surrounding counties how do you get them from wherever they are staying to Thurles?

If England, Wales, Scotland and France are all playing outside of Dublin, you've got to find beds and ways to transport tens of thousands of people on a decrepit public transport network.

Transport will not be an issue

Travel distances are relatively short

15 luxury coaches can move 1,000 people

No problems coaches been hired in from the UK to meet demand
I know nothing :-)
Rocko View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Hoosay Hoosay wrote:

Transport and hotel beds are the main issue.

For example, Thurles has a 52k capacity stadium, and there are 2000 hotel beds in all of Tipperary. 

Please read up before posting. Thurles has not been included in the bid process. These Rugby big wigs know what they are at (I don't think they have a John Delany on board).
Accommodation won't be a problem in most of our cities compared to what New Zealand had to offer. Most Irish cities would be better than Cardiff which hosted 2 quarter finals on the same weekend last year
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
  Share Topic