Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Wales MATCH thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6162636465 132>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Kelly is the only thing even vaguely unexpected about that squad, which doesn't say much when it consists of 39 players.... But anyway, I suppose we've grown to expect that..
So who exactly were you expecting ?

I was expecting exactly what we got, hence the "we've grown to expect that"
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

It doesn't look like Doyle has scored at all in the pre season for his club. Surely Cillian Sheridan & Cunningham would have been worth a call up. Who'll play LB if Ward gets injured?

I know O'Neill is very like Trap in staying loyal to the players that always show up but Kevin Doyle really shouldn't be in that squad over Sheridan. Not much in it given our dearth of striking options.

He must be thinking Matt Doherty as Wards replacement.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by Missy Missy wrote:

What is the point of 39 man provisional squads?

Puts all players on notice instead of having late call ups

Yup, Is much more considerate to the clubs

nothing to do with being considerate. once u name them in the provisional squad u have options/rights around the players availability. if u don't name him and then need him the club may not necessarily release him (not sure exactly what the details are but u get my point!)
Nothing to do with Provisional squads. No other country I can think of names such large provisional squads. It's totally pointless. Name your 23 man squad and if you really need to, name a couple of players for standby.

I recall Bolivia naming a 100-man squad or something absurd not so long ago, but yes it is quite unusual. I suppose for someone like Kelly it may offer an incentive to stick with us rather than have his head turned by England, as he knows he's in the managers plans. In saying that, exactly the same result could be achieved via a phone call...
We're decent enough..
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 3:44pm

Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by Missy Missy wrote:

What is the point of 39 man provisional squads?

Puts all players on notice instead of having late call ups

Yup, Is much more considerate to the clubs

nothing to do with being considerate. once u name them in the provisional squad u have options/rights around the players availability. if u don't name him and then need him the club may not necessarily release him (not sure exactly what the details are but u get my point!)
Nothing to do with Provisional squads. No other country I can think of names such large provisional squads. It's totally pointless. Name your 23 man squad and if you really need to, name a couple of players for standby.

I recall Bolivia naming a 100-man squad or something absurd not so long ago, but yes it is quite unusual. I suppose for someone like Kelly it may offer an incentive to stick with us rather than have his head turned by England, as he knows he's in the managers plans. In saying that, exactly the same result could be achieved via a phone call...
I really don't think it is a bad thing, especially when we will have 2 different match day squads in the upcoming games. The only thing I am really surprised about is the exclusion of Cunningham. It seems mad that a player who couldn't be that far off the starting eleven doesn't make the squad when we have players who probably need an ebola outbreak to be near a competitive start in it. 
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 4:17pm
MON and Roy will have seen Preston, and Cunningham, a shed load of times now so there is obviously something they just don't fancy about him.

He should have named a 41 man squad and included Cunningham and Sheridan so we could all focus on Ryan Manning's exclusion! :-)

Great to see Egan, Hourihane and Kelly in there.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by djhegzy djhegzy wrote:

It doesn't look like Doyle has scored at all in the pre season for his club. Surely Cillian Sheridan & Cunningham would have been worth a call up. Who'll play LB if Ward gets injured?

I know O'Neill is very like Trap in staying loyal to the players that always show up but Kevin Doyle really shouldn't be in that squad over Sheridan. Not much in it given our dearth of striking options.

But he's a right back. Has he played left back before?

I suppose O'Neill could throw McClean there or slot Coleman in there if it was needed.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 4:29pm

Originally posted by djhegzy djhegzy wrote:

But he's a right back. Has he played left back before?

I suppose O'Neill could throw McClean there or slot Coleman in there if it was needed.
All of this season and most of last, seems to be better at left-full than right, although I would have him ahead of Cyrus at rb.

I just find it strange that someone like Cunningham who, by all accounts is one of Preston's most consistent players , isn't worthy of a look against Iceland. 
It is a minor query though.
Row Z View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Row Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 4:30pm
Matt Doherty plays majority of his club football as a left back these days. 
"Just put it up there..."
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 4:34pm
Thumbs Up
Didn't know that but agree its crazy Cunningham hasn't gotten a look in
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
GUFC_Andy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUFC_Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 4:59pm
I must say I've very surprised, like majority of others, that Cunningham hasn't been included.

He's been one of PNE's standout players this season and most PNE fans would agree with me judging by their forum
Don't ban me for no reason, please.
GUFC_Andy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUFC_Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by Row Z Row Z wrote:

Matt Doherty plays majority of his club football as a left back these days. 
he has been on the bench for 2 of the last 3 games for some reason btw
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Would rather Seanie Maguire in there than any of Doyle, Rooney or McGoldrick

this
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Would rather Seanie Maguire in there than any of Doyle, Rooney or McGoldrick

this

Ahead of Doyle certainly.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 8:18pm
Cunninghams exclusion is bizarre alright, he was POTY at Preston last season and has by all accounts been having another good season. Cillian Sheridan can consider himself pretty unlucky also.
We're decent enough..
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 8:22pm

Cunninghams exclusion is bizarre alright, he was POTY at Preston last season and has by all accounts been having another good season. Cillian Sheridan can consider himself pretty unlucky also.
So they would be 2 players who you would of beeen expecting to be in the squad  hmmmm LOL
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 10:59pm
Basically he picked Doherty and Ward ahead of Cunningham. Assuming u only pick 2 lb's. Arguable case for Cunningham but then u could say the same of he was in for either of other 2.

Saying all that there does seem to be a lot of CB's in squad. Probably because they are all much of a muchness and he is unsure who to pick. Whereas Ward probably guaranteed to start at lb.
It's not me it's you:-)
GUFC_Andy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUFC_Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 11:30pm
Ah here we have no luck with injuries before every international break. Hope it's nothing serious http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/15151086.AFC_Bournemouth__Arter_sweats_on_scan_result/?ref=twtrec

Edited by GUFC_Andy - 13 Mar 2017 at 11:34pm
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 8:03am
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

MON and Roy will have seen Preston, and Cunningham, a shed load of times now so there is obviously something they just don't fancy about him.

He should have named a 41 man squad and included Cunningham and Sheridan so we could all focus on Ryan Manning's exclusion! :-)

Great to see Egan, Hourihane and Kelly in there.

LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6162636465 132>
  Share Topic