Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Wales MATCH thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 120121122123124 132>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 12:57am
I said the same during the game
He was getting word in his ear from UEFA that you can't send him off
Sponsored Links

Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 12:57am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

How he didn't show Bale a second yellow for the later challenge was remarkable
Would have been totally sick had that shot from him gone in near the end

I think he bottled that one. A journeyman Welsh player already on a yellow would have gone at that point.
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 12:58am
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

We should have won, but in hindsight with a weakened team and Meyler coming in a few mins before kick-off (which I'm sure was a distraction) we did well to get a positive result.

We contained Bale excellently and James McClean was outstanding, was more than just just typical running/tackling, very complete performance from him.

Wales won't win in Belgrade without Bale, let's hope they get a draw and we beat Austria at home.

We still haven't played anywhere near our best and 5 games in, we're joint top.

Heartbroken for Seamus though.

One thing I was impressed with is that we showed great character and spirit throughout, right from the start and kept trying to close Wales down and disrupt them.

I think we would have drawn even if Wales had eleven men, most of their chances were snatched half chances, nothing clearcut. Overall glass half full after five games I would say.

I thought it was obvious that we wanted it more than them.

We flattened them with good FAIR tackles and didn't let Bale or Ramsey do much.

Only thing I'm worried about is that Bales absence will hand Serbia the initiative for first spot, let's hope Wales can muster a draw, that wouldn't be enough for them and a win for us against Austria puts us into the driving seat.

Ffs why does June seem so far away.

I'd fancy us to beat Serbia at the Aviva.....I'm not sure they will have the bottle to get a result against us in that cauldron

Strangely, I'm more worried about Austria in June, they have more of a Germanic mentality
Cauldron hahaha
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 1:01am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I said the same during the game
He was getting word in his ear from UEFA that you can't send him off
His first challenge was as much a red as Taylor's was.
seaninmor View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaninmor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 1:13am
Am I the only one who didn't think Bale's was malicious? It looked to me like it was rash and poorly timed, but he was sliding in trying to get onto the end of the cross. Some people on here seem to think it was a stonewall red, didn't look that way to me. 

As for Coleman's, I watched it a few times and even then I couldn't see how bad his injury was until I saw a still image of it. I don't think Ledley would've been laughing if he'd realised the extent of the injury, he's not that sort of player as far as I know - he wasn't at Celtic anyway. 

To be honest, first time I saw it I thought it was a 50/50 that both players went for full on. 
The Boy Z View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boy Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 1:14am
Taylor was obviously rightly sent off. A terrible tackle but my own opinion would be that he didn't go in to do Coleman. Same with Bale who should have went too, no malice but a red card. He also should have had a 2nd yellow later on. I also think there is nothing in the photo of Ledley 'laughing'. Could easily be grimace.

I thought we were absolutely dreadful all night. Such a negative performance from start to finish. This was a huge chance to grab the group by the bollox and we blew it. A point is not a total disaster but when have we ever had the chance to go and win a group before? Missed the boat completely.

When they went down to 10 we should have had McGeady on straight away for Meyler/Whelan. Instead we wasted 10 mins seeing if we could get anything off a long ball or set piece. Another 10 mins and I think McGeady would have created something to maybe win the game (completely undeservedly)

The trumpet was a f**king disgrace too. Absolutely mortifying stuff to need that to motivate the crowd. You couldn't even hear the crowd sing the songs because of the noise from the PA. Don't think that is allowed either so a fine from UEFA will probably be on it's way.

All in all a really disappointing night. Thoughts with Seamus Coleman and fair play to Wales on the jersey with Ryan McBride's name on it. A really nice touch.
Theres only one sport that matters..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 1:16am
Originally posted by The Boy Z The Boy Z wrote:

Taylor was obviously rightly sent off. A terrible tackle but my own opinion would be that he didn't go in to do Coleman. Same with Bale who should have went too, no malice but a red card. He also should have had a 2nd yellow later on. I also think there is nothing in the photo of Ledley 'laughing'. Could easily be grimace.

I thought we were absolutely dreadful all night. Such a negative performance from start to finish. This was a huge chance to grab the group by the bollox and we blew it. A point is not a total disaster but when have we ever had the chance to go and win a group before? Missed the boat completely.

When they went down to 10 we should have had McGeady on straight away for Meyler/Whelan. Instead we wasted 10 mins seeing if we could get anything off a long ball or set piece. Another 10 mins and I think McGeady would have created something to maybe win the game (completely undeservedly)

The trumpet was a f**king disgrace too. Absolutely mortifying stuff to need that to motivate the crowd. You couldn't even hear the crowd sing the songs because of the noise from the PA. Don't think that is allowed either so a fine from UEFA will probably be on it's way.

All in all a really disappointing night. Thoughts with Seamus Coleman and fair play to Wales on the jersey with Ryan McBride's name on it. A really nice touch.
Spot on.Clap
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 1:16am
Originally posted by seaninmor seaninmor wrote:

Am I the only one who didn't think Bale's was malicious? It looked to me like it was rash and poorly timed, but he was sliding in trying to get onto the end of the cross. Some people on here seem to think it was a stonewall red, didn't look that way to me. 

As for Coleman's, I watched it a few times and even then I couldn't see how bad his injury was until I saw a still image of it. I don't think Ledley would've been laughing if he'd realised the extent of the injury, he's not that sort of player as far as I know - he wasn't at Celtic anyway. 

To be honest, first time I saw it I thought it was a 50/50 that both players went for full on. 
agree with ya
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 1:21am
Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

We should have won, but in hindsight with a weakened team and Meyler coming in a few mins before kick-off (which I'm sure was a distraction) we did well to get a positive result.

We contained Bale excellently and James McClean was outstanding, was more than just just typical running/tackling, very complete performance from him.

Wales won't win in Belgrade without Bale, let's hope they get a draw and we beat Austria at home.

We still haven't played anywhere near our best and 5 games in, we're joint top.

Heartbroken for Seamus though.

One thing I was impressed with is that we showed great character and spirit throughout, right from the start and kept trying to close Wales down and disrupt them.

I think we would have drawn even if Wales had eleven men, most of their chances were snatched half chances, nothing clearcut. Overall glass half full after five games I would say.

I thought it was obvious that we wanted it more than them.

We flattened them with good FAIR tackles and didn't let Bale or Ramsey do much.

Only thing I'm worried about is that Bales absence will hand Serbia the initiative for first spot, let's hope Wales can muster a draw, that wouldn't be enough for them and a win for us against Austria puts us into the driving seat.

Ffs why does June seem so far away.

I'd fancy us to beat Serbia at the Aviva.....I'm not sure they will have the bottle to get a result against us in that cauldron

Strangely, I'm more worried about Austria in June, they have more of a Germanic mentality
Cauldron hahaha

You know, we seen v Germany/Bosnia when the Aviva is rocking it's a good place to be.

But that trumpet thing, who the sweet f**k came up with that idea. Dreadful.

I Fancy us to defeat Serbia, I think Austria have the best side on paper id rather have Alaba then Ramsey. I don't think they'll care much come Dublin, big names missing the game and I really don't think Alaba cares that much as I pointed out on a different thread. Back to full strength, we're a dangerous team. Particularly now with young lads like Horgan and O'Dowda coming into the fold giving us more options.

Keogh done well tonight, as did O'Shea be interesting to see who makes way for Clark.
orourkeda View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orourkeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 1:22am
I hate to be pessimistic here but that leg break looks a possible career ender.

I hope I'm completely wrong of course
https://www.orourkeda.blog

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 1:27am

There are a lot of valid points here, but I'm not sure about this one. I thought McGeady had a bit of the 'rabbit in the headlights' about him when he came on, notwithstanding the one decent inside ball he created. He seemed a little lethargic in comparison to two/three years ago when even if his end product was not always there, he was always full of running.
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 1:32am
Honestly think Wales were one of the worst teams I have seen at the aviva, Georgia are a much better team even. If we had of not turned out maybe our worst performance of the qualifiers we would have easily won. Blame has to be on MON with a super conservative line up and only making two subs, second Taylor was sent off, it should of been Christie on, mcgeady for wieland and probably hourahine for Walters who was piss poor, he could have crafted something or scored a 20 yarder. Hope we can get our players back for Austria, was anyone suspended tonight?
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 1:35am
Originally posted by djhegzy djhegzy wrote:

Honestly think Wales were one of the worst teams I have seen at the aviva, Georgia are a much better team even. If we had of not turned out maybe our worst performance of the qualifiers we would have easily won. Blame has to be on MON with a super conservative line up and only making two subs, second Taylor was sent off, it should of been Christie on, mcgeady for wieland and probably hourahine for Walters who was piss poor, he could have crafted something or scored a 20 yarder. Hope we can get our players back for Austria, was anyone suspended tonight?
really. Wales were the better side for 60mins at least id say. we created nothing.
Cathalthesmart View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 1:38am
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

Originally posted by djhegzy djhegzy wrote:

really. Wales were the better side for 60mins at least id say. we created nothing.

Like I said previously we made them look like a better side than they actually are.
Hi Lads
The Boy Z View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boy Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 1:43am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

There are a lot of valid points here, but I'm not sure about this one. I thought McGeady had a bit of the 'rabbit in the headlights' about him when he came on, notwithstanding the one decent inside ball he created. He seemed a little lethargic in comparison to two/three years ago when even if his end product was not always there, he was always full of running.

One decent ball in 10 mins, even it was 2 in 20, it could have ended in 3 points! I just think it was massively cautious not bring him on earlier (as he was always going to bring him on at some point). 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 1:47am

One decent ball in 10 mins, even it was 2 in 20, it could have ended in 3 points! I just think it was massively cautious not bring him on earlier (as he was always going to bring him on at some point). 

I would certainly agree that is was massively cautious, and I might even go further. But I suppose that I was disappointed with McGeady's cameo, considering how much of an impact his recent form would suggest he could have had.
The Boy Z View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boy Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 1:54am

I would certainly agree that is was massively cautious, and I might even go further. But I suppose that I was disappointed with McGeady's cameo, considering how much of an impact his recent form would suggest he could have had.

Agreed. I'm disappointed with the whole night to be honest! Really feel like we missed a big big chance.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 1:59am

Agreed. I'm disappointed with the whole night to be honest! Really feel like we missed a big big chance.
Agreed again. Sickened.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 120121122123124 132>
  Share Topic